Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I'm actually depressed! My Garmin has died! My wife gave me this GPS about 6 years ago for Christmas. It's the best dang Christmas present I've ever gotten. It has become a part of my daily functions and has worked perfectly until yesterday. It finally gave up the fight and will not function anymore. I think I'm going to have a small service for it. I might even build it a small casket. Nothing too elaborate mind you, just a simple box, and a small private service behind the shop. I called it Wanda as the voice was a British Female's voice and it seemed an appropriate name. Rest in peace Wanda your guidance will be sorely missed!

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
Hate to see you in the dark, as it were, BigSkiff. Perhaps if the wife sees you moping around the house, she may get you another one!

Reactions: bre346

·
Registered
597 Posts
I hate to see the day mine passes. She has that same Brit female voice.

·
Super Moderator
35,739 Posts
My Magellan has died recently also, but we had a love/hate relationship. I need to program routes from one address to another with several stops in between. The stupid GPS was always a bit geographically challenged and I would be brought back to addresses that I should have been stopped at enroute. I am now searching for the BEST GPS for a) ease of input and b) accuracy in setting optimal routing with up to 25 or so address waypoints and c) price. (that's kind of an unusual set of priorities with cost last, but time and gasoline = big bucks)

Any input from the membership for both BS and me would be greatly appreciated. I've already considered using the smart phone, but the nav programs are huge battery suckers.

Reactions: bre346 and BigSkiff

·
Administrator
39,512 Posts
Well, looks like it's back to finding the north star at night, and moss growing on the north side of trees during the day for you BS. And remember, the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. You'll be fine! :D

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Weird.
My Daughter's TomTom died on the trip to our place Sunday, fortunately she knew the route anyway.
It was giving an error "Unable to find a valid GPS signal".
Went to TomTom's website and looked up the error, said to reset the device by holding the power button for 15 seconds.
Did that, it restarted, set it outside and it took like 10 minutes to find itself.
I think it may be on it's last legs.
Everytime I turn it on, it does the same thing, can't find the satellite signal.
Loaned her my Magellan to use since I have a Garmin Nuvi and don't use the Magellan anymore.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
....anyone else old enough to remember "FREE" road maps at the local Texaco, Shell or Gulf service station? :confused:
Yup. I remember when they used to do the filling and check the oil too. As far as GPS's - I don't use one. I use one of these instead -

And if I'm off the road, I use one of these -

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
I have one in my phone I use when I travel for work. But I will mostly look at a map before I go it I have the time and for the most part know where I need to go.

I had one a few years ago, but I turned the voice off, it was female and I was sure the next words out of its speaker were going to be along the lines of "... why do I bother giving you directions if you never listen to me anyway...":D I already had a female voice in the seat next to me that would say that, I didn't need them ganging up on me! :D

I'm sorry for your loss BigSkiff, but there are other gps fish in the sea....

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
My brother bought me a GPS a few years ago, and it was nothing but a pain. Sent it back twice, and still had problems. However, my wife bought me a new Garmin for Christmas, and it works like a charm. Lots of cool features too!

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
I feel for you, we get so dependent on all the electronic things that make life easy. Retired and in no hurry so a smart phone does a poor job of replacing Unice, I have always been bad to take side trips that drives them nuts. A friend said one day he was waiting for her to say" Look fool you are as lost as last years camouflaged Easter egg." Unice knew compliments like that ment nothing to a redneck. Check out the new ones, using a smart phone of only average intelligence is not the way to do it.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
A friend said one day he was waiting for her to say" Look fool you are as lost as last years camouflaged Easter egg."
Camouflaged Easter eggs - what a great idea! I'm thinkin' the local crumb crunchers are going to have their work cut out for them next year. (insert evil laugh here) :D

·
Registered
703 Posts
I bought one 2 years ago. Even paid Radioshack $40 for an extended warranty (sucker...) Hardly used it. Don't even keep it in the car. Smart phone suffices for the most part. The one time I actually needed it, I was low on gas, deep in Muir Woods a little north of San Francisco.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
... "TAPS" are in order...

Need to get one of those newfangled gun/GPS combo packs we don't see advertised....

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I only need the GPS to get to a new location for the first time.
Maybe the 2nd.
After that I know the way.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am sorry for your loss.

But look at it as an opportunity. Wanda would want you to "move on" just like she used to encourage you to do. Or at least take a right turn here. You'll have fun getting out and meeting new electronic guidance companions.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts