Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
This was inspired by the "would you sell to a 19 year old" post.
Here in Canada firearms are difficult to buy and own "legally"
In the major cities "gun culture" is pretty much non existent.
Growing up in Vancouver the only guns you ever see or hear about are illegal ones owned by drug dealers. Oh and there was this on guy that had an entire room of full of guns (wall to wall) but in his defence... He was an American living here lol.
Anyway... In order to legally own a firearm you have to pay to take a number of courses and get your licence. Theres endless hoops to jump through and non stop paperwork.
Now whenever people here I own guns they tend to ask or beg if they can have or buy one.
When I put a gun up for sale... The only people that are interested have no licence or training.
like they just assume because I own guns I must also be some sort of illegal gun runner or something, handing out firearms to everybody that wants one. (Pisses me off)
Some of these people have less than good character while some appear to be ok... One is a Canadian soldier with good personal references but no firearms licence.

According to Canadian law you CAN sell a legally owned firearm to an unlicensed individual "if you have no reason to suspect they dont have a license" Its up too the buyer to do the legal groundwork before purchasing a firearm.

My personal dilemma is this. I "try" to only sell to individuals I know have a licence. For the most part I dont care if they have a license or not... Once they buy I wash my hands of it. I just avoid such things for the headache they can bring.
However the issue that is always on my mind is this. If they dont have a license they either cant be bothered to jump through the hoops or they legally cant for some reason. Either way I find it VERY insulting that all these creepers keep asking me to sell to them. My first thought is "if I had to go through all these hoops to legally own. Who the **** do these people think they are just by passing the whole system like its nothing" It feels like a slap in the face imo.

Am I right in this, thoughts ?

·
Registered
3,006 Posts
I can't believe your resell rules are more lenient than Iowa. Does this apply to handguns too? We very rarely sell privately, but any time we do, there's a lot of people wanting us to sell across state lines directly or without a CC permit. Umm...NO! We also ask for permit, a matching drivers license, and the receipt includes serial numbers and buyer/seller info. If there is any hesitation to provide this, we're done. It's not technically required on a long gun, but illegal to sell to a felon. We ask for a purchase permit or CC for those too, it's our hide on the line if they would turn out to be a felon.

Many replies get ignored from the get go any time we sell something privately.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In the US it is legal to sell privately only to a resident of the state you live in. Some states put even more restrictions on private 'transfers'. Even though my state (Georgia) has no additional restrictions on ownership or transfer than Federal Law, many people here choose to only sell to people who are willing to show a GA drivers license and a Georgia Weapons Carry License. Since a FFL does not have to call NCIS when presented with a GWCL, this provides proof that the person is not a prohibited person.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
I sold my Savage 64F to a guy in Myrtle Beach who drove to the meeting place in a big new expensive SUV with his 2 kids, so I figured he was no felon.
I sold my DMPS lower to a guy in Conway and he has a CWP, so no problem there either.
I even stated on ArmsList the buyer had to prove they were legal to buy.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Except we dont have state IDs here or CCW permits. But asking for a licence yes I agree.
Yeah for having such restrictive laws here they are also rather convoluted and nonsensical.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Drivers licence ? We do have those but im not sure how it applies ? You mean ask for drivers licence from potential buyers ?

·
22,021 Posts
It would be a good idea to get an FFL to transfer it to the buyer. I think I would
require it if I were selling to someone I did not know well.

And for some I do know well.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Here's the Illinois law on this subject. I have not looked into any regulations regarding the
implementation of the law.

430 ILCS 65/3(a-10) - Any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer and who desires to transfer or sell a firearm or firearms to any person who is not a federally licensed firearm dealer shall, before selling or transferring the firearms, contact the Department of State Police with the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card number to determine the validity of the transferee's or purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card. This subsection shall not be effective until January 1, 2014. The Department of State Police may adopt rules concerning the implementation of this subsection. The Department of State Police shall provide the seller or transferor an approval number if the purchaser's Firearm Owner's Identification Card is valid. Approvals issued by the Department for the purchase of a firearm pursuant to this subsection are valid for 30 days from the date of issue.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
That is crazy that Canada has rules like that (Lots of classes). I would feel the same way for be to take these classes and others to just want to buy. Take the classes and we can deal.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Drivers licence ? We do have those but im not sure how it applies ? You mean ask for drivers licence from potential buyers ?
A drivers license is a state issued ID and yes.
As I wrote in the other thread, if I was to sell any firearm to another I must see the buyers current valid picture ID/ drivers license and valid CPL (concealed pistol license). That will assure me I am not selling to a criminal. At least until a few weeks ago I could. Now, in Washington state, because of I-594 (in my opinion it is unlawful) (and a lot of really stupid and gullible idiots) all sales or loans of any firearm must go through a FFL.

·
Registered
13,952 Posts
Texas is pretty lenient on private party firearms sales. They must be a resident of the state of Texas. I ask for proof of either a TX DL, a TX CHL or utility bill in their name. Sometime a combination of one of more. I will not sale with out a Bill of Sale which ask the basic questions that are on the ATF form. Could they lie to me, yea, but I do my best that I can to verify who I am selling to. I have many times asked the buyer to send me his name and address with phone number so that I can fill out the Bill of Sale before meeting to save time. After I have this information I cross reference the name and address on the county tax roll which is public information. I will also Google the phone number at times.
While I can't be 100% sure of who I am selling to, or their intentions. I do, do the best that I can to verify the person. I have also a few times declined to sell a firearm once I have meant the potential buyer based off of gut feelings.

·
Registered
4,464 Posts
You can avoid all this if you just buy and hold! ;)

·
Registered
7,861 Posts
Blackcatbones, you are well and truely justified at being POed at those idjids. just tell them to follow the rules.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Living in the Florida panhandle we get our fair share of Canadians down here in the winter months. Several years ago I listed a S&W 442 on Floridaguntrader.com. I was contacted by a guy who was interested. We agreed to meet and in the last email I told him to bring a Florida ID. The guy emails me back and says he is a Canada resident here on vacation but will provide his purchase license. I told him that I would meet him and let him look the gun over but I would have to look into the legality of shipping a handgun to Canada. He got a bit irritated and insisted that it was perfectly legal for him to buy a gun and take it back home. I explained the US federal laws about buying/selling and that I would only follow the laws of MY country. He grumbled a bit more about the added cost not being worth it so I just lied and told him I sold it to someone else. Not sure if the guy was full of it or if Canada really is ok with its residents illegally buying guns and bringing them into the country but I know our laws and was not about to break them for a measly $350. Other than that I haven't had much trouble with buyers providing photo ID.

·
Banned
2,401 Posts
I can't believe your resell rules are more lenient than Iowa. Does this apply to handguns too? We very rarely sell privately, but any time we do, there's a lot of people wanting us to sell across state lines directly or without a CC permit. Umm...NO! We also ask for permit, a matching drivers license, and the receipt includes serial numbers and buyer/seller info. If there is any hesitation to provide this, we're done. It's not technically required on a long gun, but illegal to sell to a felon. We ask for a purchase permit or CC for those too, it's our hide on the line if they would turn out to be a felon.

Many replies get ignored from the get go any time we sell something privately.
I'm from Iowa too and agree with 88keys... I follow those best practices too

·
22,321 Posts
I find it VERY insulting that all these creepers keep asking me to sell to them. My first thought is "if I had to go through all these hoops to legally own. Who the **** do these people think they are just by passing the whole system like its nothing" It feels like a slap in the face imo.

Am I right in this, thoughts ?
You're right. They want to get around the law, whether it's because it's PITA to follow it, or because the can't follow it. The more lenient you are about this, the more chance there is of the authorities starting to hear about "that guy in ______ who'll sell a gun to anyone!" Picture a sergeant somewhere deciding "we've got to keep an eye out for that guy." It's not going to happen with one gun, and it's not going to happen overnight, but in your shoes I'd be careful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts