Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,009 Posts
I was alarmed when I saw the thread title. I was wondering why you were posting a picture of my wife!

Anyhow, once I saw it was your new rifle, I understood. She's a beaut. Nice safe, too. It made me wonder if it is required by law in your part of the world. Thankfully here in Kansas, we have no legal requirement for locking up guns.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was alarmed when I saw the thread title. I was wondering why you were posting a picture of my wife!

Anyhow, once I saw it was your new rifle, I understood. She's a beaut. Nice safe, too. It made me wonder if it is required by law in your part of the world. Thankfully here in Kansas, we have no legal requirement for locking up guns.
You are required, by law, to have a safe. It must be bolted to a solid retaining wall (no stud walls) and bolted to the floor. Unless your safe has a built-in ammo safe you must also store ammo in a similar way. Rim and centrefire ammo must be kept separate from your firearms. Ammo safes are always going to be on the smaller size as what we can have in ammo is a lot different from you guys. For example..

I can possess 1500 rounds of .22LR but I can only buy 1000 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of 9mm but I can only buy 200 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of .38 special but I can only buy 200 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of .357 magnum but I can only buy 200 at a time.

What I buy is recorded on my firearms certificate every time I purchase ammo and, when I am at the range, what I shoot is recorded in the shoot log book. ie Name, date, membership number, firing point number, calibre used, round count used.

It's worth noting that I had to 'negotiate' my ammo amounts, which were actually increased, as I said I only shoot .38 wadcutters through my Taurus 669 and .357 through the Rossi.

The safe is a Buffalo River Black Diamond 14 gun safe. Very nice, perfect for my needs, keeps all my three rifles, three pistols and six shotguns cosy.

Reactions: DeltaBravoKS

·
Super Moderator
38,570 Posts
^^ and you are located in the more "lenient" firearm area in the UK. Are there places in the British Isles that are less restrictive than the Isle of Man?

Reactions: PTDOUDE

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
^^ and you are located in the more "lenient" firearm area in the UK. Are there places in the British Isles that are less restrictive than the Isle of Man?
Oh yes indeed. Think of our firearms licencing system areas as equating to states. Every county here has one and there are 'stand alone' departments for the likes of the London metropolitan area. There are some areas who will not permit someone to own rifles of the same calibre, without express good reason; for example one rifle for target shooting and one for pest control.

You have to remember that each person holds their licence based on each firearm they have. It is not a blanket certificate that lets you buy what you fancy, you have to specify what calibre firearms you want and why.

Whereas over here it is a small community with easy access to a gun dealer, in the rest of the UK that might not be the case so where my ammo quota appears small to you, it probably would to someone in the UK where accessibility and travel tend to permit higher levels of ammo quotas.

An example would be when I had my 2 .308 rifles in the UK I was permitted to hold 500 rounds of .308 ammo. When I told the people here they went rather pale and informed me that I'd be lucky to get 200 rounds and 150 was more likely. (this is also borne out by the very reason there is nowhere greater than our club's 50m range to shoot them - that's why I got rid of my .308's and my .243. No point in wasting money at 50m..!!!

Firearms licence numbers are sequential here, the population is around 84,000, my licence number is 6415. It's worth noting that there are, per capita, probably more rifle clubs here than in the UK. Mostly .22 Martini-Henry style target shooting - we have a good team entered in the Commonwealth Games and have won medals over the years. Unlike the UK when you mention to people here that you shoot they usually respond with "Oh do you know..Fred, Bill, Chris.. etc", everyone knows someone who shoots, there is no bad feeling about firearms here - thankfully..!!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Oh yes indeed. Think of our firearms licencing system areas as equating to states. Every county here has one and there are 'stand alone' departments for the likes of the London metropolitan area. There are some areas who will not permit someone to own rifles of the same calibre, without express good reason; for example one rifle for target shooting and one for pest control.

You have to remember that each person holds their licence based on each firearm they have. It is not a blanket certificate that lets you buy what you fancy, you have to specify what calibre firearms you want and why.

Whereas over here it is a small community with easy access to a gun dealer, in the rest of the UK that might not be the case so where my ammo quota appears small to you, it probably would to someone in the UK where accessibility and travel tend to permit higher levels of ammo quotas.

An example would be when I had my 2 .308 rifles in the UK I was permitted to hold 500 rounds of .308 ammo. When I told the people here they went rather pale and informed me that I'd be lucky to get 200 rounds and 150 was more likely. (this is also borne out by the very reason there is nowhere greater than our club's 50m range to shoot them - that's why I got rid of my .308's and my .243. No point in wasting money at 50m..!!!

Firearms licence numbers are sequential here, the population is around 84,000, my licence number is 6415. It's worth noting that there are, per capita, probably more rifle clubs here than in the UK. Mostly .22 Martini-Henry style target shooting - we have a good team entered in the Commonwealth Games and have won medals over the years. Unlike the UK when you mention to people here that you shoot they usually respond with "Oh do you know..Fred, Bill, Chris.. etc", everyone knows someone who shoots, there is no bad feeling about firearms here - thankfully..!!
Brazilian law makers imported some British regulations...

We also have limits for ammo purchasing and gun owning.

Police officers, like me, are exempt to pay gun registration tax and to submit a psychological and practical shooting tests. But, in general, the same restrictions are applied to us.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I can possess 1500 rounds of .22LR but I can only buy 1000 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of 9mm but I can only buy 200 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of .38 special but I can only buy 200 at a time.

I can possess 250 rounds of .357 magnum but I can only buy 200 at a time.
With the exception of the .22s, any of the others could be just a 'good day at the range' for me!!
Sorry for your ridiculous restrictions, I'm sure glad I don't live there.
I escaped from the NYS gulag, a few years ago, and that was bad enough!!!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
How do the ammunition quotas in the U.K. deal with those of you that reload your own ammo. For instance, if you're allowed 500 rounds (like you say) of .308 where you live, does that include all ammo you have or just what you have purchased?

Reactions: MoMan
1 - 8 of 8 Posts