Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at a buddies this afternoon installing some sights on a GI he purchased yesterday. He had a couple rear Taurus sights sitting around from a a couple PT1911's, so he wanted to try to fit one on the GI. After some minor fitting it was a perfect fit. So we put the other in my GI, and off to the range we went. I have to admit it looks great, and is very accurate.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Wow, that's very cool! Just goes to show what you can do if you have a good idea and give it a try! Also, it gives options that we otherwise might not have thought of! :thumb:

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
well somewhat similiar but totally different!-LOL
Took my RIA tactical to the range and it was printing about 4-5 inches low at 10 yards.
so found that the front sight was .180 HT.
so began looking for a front sight that was shorter, say .140.
the tactical has dovetailed sights.
So rumaged through my pile of old 1911 sights and found that the Pt1911 front novak sight was about .135 or so.
did a very minor bit of fitting , secured it with the set screw measured it with the calipers and it was. 140 HT.
took it to the range and it was dead on out through 25 yards.
course its to short in the dovetail by a bit but i now know the .140 is correct, now to order a dawson presision fiber optic front sight.
got to check on the taurus rear sight and the tactical now that you brought this up, although i kind of like the solid black sight on the tactical.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
One should NEVER throw away parts. You never know what they might fit down the road! ;)

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
Kind of wish my RIA had a front dovetail, then i would have put the sights on myself. But since my G.I. has a staked front (narrow tenon), i just let the gunsmith do the job. Can't make a complaint about it one bit, he did a great job making it secure.

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You can contact Arnel. I did about the rear sights when I got the first GI. He said if I send it to him he'd machine a dovetail for it at no charge. I had the tools to stake it myself, or I would have gone that route.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
When you get sights for it make sure they are RIA cut. I read on the 1911 forums that RIA is cut a little different. Hope it's ok to link a post from another forum.
RIA tactical front sight? - 1911Forum
Dawson Precision makes front and rear sights specifically for tee RIA tactical and Gi models so no problem with fit.
they also offer several different heights, fiber optic and Night sites for them.
the RIA cut seems to be Novak but the dovetail cut is deeper???
so you need a deeper base to fit correctly in the dovetail.
Again as in Taurus and their sights, why not just make it a true Novak cut???
I understand that a Kimber cut fits them as well, but I think i am just going Dawson and be done with it.

·
Registered
36,676 Posts
One should NEVER throw away parts. You never know what they might fit down the road! ;)
He-He-He, yep! I keep saying that i am going to make me a Frankenstein 1911 from all the spare parts!
anyone remember what the EDSEL looked like??--:eek:hmy:

·
Premium Member
2,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Off topic a bit, but I picked up a Galco V-hawk IWB holster yesterday for the FS. Even though it's a full size 1911, you can't even tell it's there, and very comfortable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts