Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The 44 Special has a good following especially when a 44:Magnum is too much. One wonders if Taurus will make another run of these. S&W is out of the 44 Special business but shooters pay upwards of $1000 for Model 396 or Model 696 for used guns. Charter Arms sells one with some problems.

What about it Taurus in something like a S&W L-Frame.

Here a positive American Rifleman article.

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2011/12/8/the-taurus-445-ultra-lite-44-spl-revolver/

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I love my Taurus Model 445 snubby. Wish I had picked up the Model 455 when I had the chance.

Taurus M445.jpg

I like my Ruger Bisley in .44 Special too.

RuberBisley44spl.jpg

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I love the 44 special Taurus revolvers, and still want a 431 in 3 inch barrel. I'll have to settle for my Rossi 720 for now.

I bought some brand new 44 special brass and 2 boxes of XTP hollowpoint ammo, I'm ready to make a run of self defense ammo for the 720.

·
32,481 Posts
Just for giggles www.gunbroker.com has 9 Taurus revolvers in various guises. There are Taurus 431s, Taurus 441s, and the snub revolver variant if anyone cares to take a gander at them.

There are also 4 Rossi 720s for sale there as well. Not affiliated with any of those guns being sold. I've got my 431s and 441s and not going to sell them.

Those are great revolvers.

·
32,481 Posts
I should have added a few things.

There are a lot of .44 Special fans out there. .44 Special revolver sales vary over time. Right now those sales are a bit low. The .44 Special fans will need to let Taurus know that there is a market for their revolvers in this caliber. A write in campaign to Taurus, Facebook messaging, and phoning them would get the message out. There are other means to do this. Such a campaign helped in part to get Henry Rifles to make .327 magnum rifles.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The 44 Special has a good following especially when a 44:Magnum is too much. One wonders if Taurus will make another run of these. S&W is out of the 44 Special business but shooters pay upwards of $1000 for Model 396 or Model 696 for used guns. Charter Arms sells one with some problems.

I'm going to look online at some Charter Arms guns...what problems do their .44 Specials have?

·
32,481 Posts
Charter Arms have fine revolvers. One does have to be careful not to use "heavy loads" in them. https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=271 We developed this bullet to be soft (6 BHN) enough to mushroom at impact speeds around 750 fps, yet we wanted it hard enough (pure lead is 4 BHN) that it would not lead a normal revolver barrel. This bullet accomplishes both requirements. Depending on impact velocities, expect about 18 inches of penetration in living mammalian tissues, which should give ample penetration at bad angles to disable even very large men.
This bullet was also designed with a special crimp groove and the case mouth is heavily crimped and this bullet will NOT jump crimp in the lightweight alloy revolvers, provided you rotate the unfired rounds and thus do not expose unfired rounds to the recoil of more than about 10 firings.
We are using a flash suppressed powder so you won't become blinded by your own gunfire in the likely event you drop the hammer in a low-light defensive situation.
This ammunition is for use in ALL 44 SPL and 44 MAG. firearms except for the Charter Arms Bull Dog. No, this ammo won't blow up your Bull Dog, but if you shoot more than a few hundred rounds of this ammo in a Bull Dog, the gun will get looser than it already was, will go out of "time" and stop working.

Stephen Camp' take on the Taurus. https://pistolsmith.com/gun-tests/11100-range-report-taurus-model-431-44-special.html https://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2011/05/stephen.html

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ Used to have one just like it.:thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was fortunate to stumble upon a 445 in the used gun case at my LGS a little over a year ago. I had searched for a Rossi or Taurus with a 3" barrel for years (with no luck other than bobbed hammer versions), and finally broke down and bought the first S&W 696 I found for sale. It's a great gun, but it comes a great price too. So when I saw this little 2" Taurus in the glass case, I had to have it too. They were asking $369 if I recall, but I traded them a S&W model 36-7 that I had carried a bit and it was beginning to rust some under the grip panels. I got the Taurus as even swap and was proud to get it.

This picture shows the size difference between the 696 and the 445, both which are 5 shooters. I carry the 445 with 200 gr. Deep Curl Speers loaded in it, or if around the yard, it'll have a couple of shot shells loaded to come out first, followed up with some SWC lead.

I feel just as fortunate to have just swapped into the 445's big brother (the 455) from fellow member TexasTaurusGuy! I can't hardly wait to try one in each hand on my range out back. Always wanted to try the ole "Mel Gibson" move, firing two at once. LOL! I actually did do that years ago with a couple of Star 9mms a buddy & I owned at the time. It's harder than you think getting the timing right.

I think Taurus should bring the 445 back for sure and a 3" 44 special of some flavor. I love the caliber, slightly loaded down in the 2"er, up to some pretty warm ones in the Blackhawk. With only CA selling 44 specials (as far as I know), I think they would be a hit. The 44 special is certainly special in my mind.

Attachments

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
I was fortunate to stumble upon a 445 in the used gun case at my LGS a little over a year ago. I had searched for a Rossi or Taurus with a 3" barrel for years (with no luck other than bobbed hammer versions), and finally broke down and bought the first S&W 696 I found for sale. It's a great gun, but it comes a great price too. So when I saw this little 2" Taurus in the glass case, I had to have it too. They were asking $369 if I recall, but I traded them a S&W model 36-7 that I had carried a bit and it was beginning to rust some under the grip panels. I got the Taurus as even swap and was proud to get it.

This picture shows the size difference between the 696 and the 445, both which are 5 shooters. I carry the 445 with 200 gr. Deep Curl Speers loaded in it, or if around the yard, it'll have a couple of shot shells loaded to come out first, followed up with some SWC lead.

I feel just as fortunate to have just swapped into the 445's big brother (the 455) from fellow member TexasTaurusGuy! I can't hardly wait to try one in each hand on my range out back. Always wanted to try the ole "Mel Gibson" move, firing two at once. LOL! I actually did do that years ago with a couple of Star 9mms a buddy & I owned at the time. It's harder than you think getting the timing right.

I think Taurus should bring the 445 back for sure and a 3" 44 special of some flavor. I love the caliber, slightly loaded down in the 2"er, up to some pretty warm ones in the Blackhawk. With only CA selling 44 specials (as far as I know), I think they would be a hit. The 44 special is certainly special in my mind.
You're gonna love the 455, it's a hoot to shoot. :shooter: :D

Reactions: kraynky

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a Tracker in 44mag and it makes an excellent 44spl. Full boat 44 mag loads are not a joy to shoot but the 240 grain/7.5 unique 44 spl load is accurate and adequate for most things you would use this revolver for!
My moderate 44 mag load is 9.5 unique with 220 grain cast SWC and it adequate for pretty much everything short of bears. I will kill hogs nicely, head shot and white tail deer at short ranges. I often load a Keith 429421 HP cast from chilled shot for deer use over a moderate load of 2400.
But loaded down in 44 special cases , well it is special !

·
Premium Member
10,960 Posts
I like my 445, but it's a bit expensive to feed...
You should start reloading. The money up front is more than made up by the money you save over time. The more calibers you reload, the faster you make up the upfront cost.

·
21,944 Posts
I am going to admit my ignorance up front so it will be clear that this is a sincere question, and not an attempt to start a caliber war. I have never so much as held a .44 Special, much less shot one.

What does .44 Special do that .45 Colt can't do?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts