Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently was fiddling around in a gun store and was examining a Kahr CM9 and a SCCY CPX2. The trigger pull on both was, from what I could tell, nearly identical. The Kahr may have been just a hair lighter (but not enough to really notice in any extravagant way).

Why do all the reviews of the CPX2 talk about the "terrible" trigger and all the Kahr CM9 reviews rave about the trigger? I guess I'm just not a trigger connoisseur...

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I recently was fiddling around in a gun store and was examining a Kahr CM9 and a SCCY CPX2. The trigger pull on both was, from what I could tell, nearly identical. The Kahr may have been just a hair lighter (but not enough to really notice in any extravagant way).

Why do all the reviews of the CPX2 talk about the "terrible" trigger and all the Kahr CM9 reviews rave about the trigger? I guess I'm just not a trigger connoisseur...
Because some people have this notion that more money = more quality... same reason Taurus, Hi Point and half the Turkish firearms out there get bashed. :mellow:

On the same note, it may be possible that wine snobs are the same way*. :eek:

*Don't want to hijack the thread, so if you're interested search for "Wine Snobs Adam Ruins Everything".

·
Registered
181 Posts
I am not a fan of the SCCY at all, but the trigger isn't terrible. Pretty standard if you ask me, for a DAO trigger. It's at least smooth and predictable. My wife and I don't like the gun for other reasons, like how "snappy" it is, and the version she had was equipped with that terrible safety to include the ears molded to the frame that dig into the hand when firing (which intensifies the snappiness; otherwise it wouldn't be as noticeable).

Reactions: RustyYoungMan

·
Registered
127 Posts
One must take into account that there is a variation on everything within a manufactures' product. Had a Savage A22 magnum and that accutrigger - accurelease was the worse p.o.s. I ever had. Even after it was sent to Savage. But everyone raves about them.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Granted that I'm still relatively inexperienced when it comes to firearms, so perhaps I lack the first-hand experience to properly differentiate/appreciate a "good" trigger from a "bad" trigger, but I've always felt that the subject was somewhat nitpicky on self-defense firearms, as I doubt that anybody would notice details like the weight, break, length of travel, or the reset in a self-defense situation so long as the aforementioned factors prevented the gun from firing.
Now I know that someone will likely want to argue with me on this by bringing up firearms with notoriously bad triggers like the H&K VP70, but I'm not talking about extraordinarily bad triggers with massive weight, grit, creep/over-travel, etc but rather triggers on firearms such as the SCCY which get labeled as "bad" without having any noteworthy issues. In seems like certain folks consider any trigger which is less than great to be bad.

That said, if we're talking about firearms designed for recreational plinking or competitive shooting, then I can understand why folks would care about the trigger since they'll be shooting it for fun/competition. For example, I own a Walther PPK/S .22 with an extremely heavy 17.5lb DA Trigger, which makes firing the first shot unpleasant and inaccurate, so I always just cock back the hammer and shoot it in Single Action.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The thing that really struck me was the description of the SCCY as

"Just can't stand that long trigger pull and that long reset"
and the KAHR CM9 as
"It's got a long, but smooth, consistent DA trigger pull, and a standard DA reset - it's a little long, but that's just DA...love it!"
Now, I own a SCCY but am not a fanboy of any particular brand. I just happened to have the opportunity to do a side by side comparison and found the triggers so similar (the SCCY is smooth and consistent as well) that the disparity in reviews struck me as laughable.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Abe Lincoln once said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet".

I think the Kahr trigger is smoother and lighter than the SCCY. There is no crunchiness or stacking on the Kahr and no jolt (if you wanna call it that) of the hammer dropping, it really is a great feeling trigger. The SCCY trigger is not terrible, it's pretty good actually, but there is a difference.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You gotta love when folks display blatant biased/favoritism when comparing two similar firearms.

It's like when you read direct comparisons between the Taurus Judge and Smith & Wesson Governor (of which I've read quite a few while I was trying to decide which one to get) in which the reviewer complains about the Judge's DA Trigger being too long/heavy then goes on to praise the Governor's DA Trigger which is longer/heavier than the Judge because it's "sooo smooth, just as one would expect from Smith & Wesson!" regardless of the fact that they never complained about the Judge's trigger being creepy/gritty or even complimented it by saying that the Judge's trigger had a "crisp break" or some other such positive comment.

The only thing that's more funny to read than that is when you read a direct comparison between the Beretta 92 and Taurus PT92 in which the reviewer continuously gives the PT92 a favorable score in each category, yet ends the review by recommending the Beretta 92 over the Taurus PT92 anyway because in spite of the fact that the Taurus outperformed the Beretta in testing, Taurus firearms in general are less reliable than Berettas, thus rendering the entire comparison completely pointless since the reviewer obviously decided going in that the Taurus was going to fail based on reputation.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
- Glitch caused a double post -

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
The answer to the question on gun reviews is simply this:
- How much money in advertising was paid to the magazine and/or reviewer by the manufacturer?
- Did this influence the review in any way?
- Did the editorial staff influence the writer in any way?

Over my many years of living, I have seen far to many of these reviews in magazines, not to mention other items where this manufacturer is better than this one in magazines, and it all boils down to how much advertising dollars were paid, and did this influence the writer and editorial board in any way.

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
The answer to the question on gun reviews is simply this:
- How much money in advertising was paid to the magazine and/or reviewer by the manufacturer?
- Did this influence the review in any way?
- Did the editorial staff influence the writer in any way?

Over my many years of living, I have seen far to many of these reviews in magazines, not to mention other items where this manufacturer is better than this one in magazines, and it all boils down to how much advertising dollars were paid, and did this influence the writer and editorial board in any way.
Spend enough advertising $$$ with a gun magazine, throw in a couple free guns "for testing" and a zip gun made from sewer pipe will be picked as Gun of the Year.

Seriously, when was the last time you read a bad review in a gun magazine?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Gun reviews of any kind are subjective. They tend to confuse and sometimes mis lead the prospective gun buyer. Especially a new person to the shooting world.

One option is to try to find gun range that rents the gun you want to shoot or find a range buddy who will allow you to shoot his.
Triggers are all a bit different in revolvers , rifles, pistols and the there are range only or target triggers. Again it is subjective.

It kind of boils down to the fact that everyone has a preference on how the gun fits the hand and that.may affect how the trigger feels. A trigger will always (in general ) get smoother with use, but when you are trying to find your first do you have the time and money to wait.

For me it came down to functionality . I started looking for the characteristics of reliability, carry weight, ease of repair if needed, warrenty service sights etc.

One can always get used to a certain grip or trigger. Heck if need be one can customize.

Some many opinions and guns that it is hard to deliberate or recommend the shooting characteristics of one gun over another.

Yes I think almost all gun reviews are biased to the manufacturer. it is in both of their interests to put forth a positive spin.

Over my past 30 years of shooting I have bought and sold more guns then I care to admit before I settled on what fit my criteria.

Its the nature of the beast.

JMHO

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,928 Posts
A good example of what you are saying was presented to me at a recent gun show.
this middle aged couple was handling and looking at hand guns. she had finger nails a bout 2 inches long, a medium sized lady and was fondling a Taurus TCP, he was trying to talk her out of that and saying you need one of these -- A Taurus Judge.
thats what I got he says, I was tempted to ask if he carried it in his purse as that was the reason for looking at guns for the female.
I was watching and she asked me, do you shoot a gun?
yes I replied I shoot fairly often.
what would you suggest?
I stated not trying to be snide but I would suggest that you find a gun range that rents weapons and try few that you think you like out before buying anything.
she had already stated that she had never owned nor shot a weapon before and you could tell by how she handled any of the weapons that she was uncomfortable and not natural with them.
much alter as I was leaving I noticed them sitting and filling out federal paperwork for a gun, I didn't see what it was.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
A good example of what you are saying was presented to me at a recent gun show.
this middle aged couple was handling and looking at hand guns. she had finger nails a bout 2 inches long, a medium sized lady and was fondling a Taurus TCP, he was trying to talk her out of that and saying you need one of these -- A Taurus Judge.
thats what I got he says, I was tempted to ask if he carried it in his purse as that was the reason for looking at guns for the female.
I was watching and she asked me, do you shoot a gun?
yes I replied I shoot fairly often.
what would you suggest?
I stated not trying to be snide but I would suggest that you find a gun range that rents weapons and try few that you think you like out before buying anything.
she had already stated that she had never owned nor shot a weapon before and you could tell by how she handled any of the weapons that she was uncomfortable and not natural with them.
much alter as I was leaving I noticed them sitting and filling out federal paperwork for a gun, I didn't see what it was.
No fixing stupid. Hopefully she doesn't shoot his squishy parts off with the Judge on accident. :eek:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
I had a Kahr CW9 for years and carried it frequently. It was a tight, accurate gun with the classic DAO trigger.
Over the years I leaned heavily toward striker pistols with lighter & shorter pull/reset triggers. I was shooting and competing increasingly more.

I decided to run the Kahr in a BUG gun match to stay tuned up. In that match I missed letting the trigger reset twice - not something one wants happening in ‘pressure’ shooting situations. It was a fine gun. My shooting style and gun choices had changed.

I somewhat reluctantly traded it as I picked up a 9mm Sig P320 - good for carry and CCP in IDPA - a light short pull striker.

I could pocket the Kahr in cargo pants/shorts so I’m looking to replace that, no rush.

If if you asked me if the Kahr was a good gun, I’d say ‘hell yeah’ and give you a rundown of the highlights.

Glad I shot that match and learned what I did in ‘practice’!!

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Yep. Next door neighbor wanted to get a 'protection gun' for his wife. Neither of them are gun savvy and she had only shot a gun a few times. Well, he goes out and immediately buys her a Judge. My wife (who is a regular shooter) takes her to our local club to shoot. My wife tried to get her to shoot a smaller caliber before picking up the Judge but neighbor wife wanted to shoot "her gun." Well, neighbor wife fires the Judge twice, sets it down, and says "That's it. I'm done." And to this day has not picked up another firearm AFAIK. I know you all have heard similar stories before and this type of thing happens all the time. Classic case of not being educated and not wanting to educate yourself before making a firearm purchase.

(If they hadn't moved away I might have him an offer on the thing just because.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts