Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am looking at 24/7 pistol, which I like more and more. I fired it when Taurus came to GAT Guns in illinois and loved it. Handles better then my Glock 31.
However, I am in a bit of a bind. You see, I do not need yet another 9mm pistol. I have Cz75 and I am quite happy with it. I strongly dislike both, .40 caliber and .45 for relatively low velocity. I am a big fan of high velocity rounds (hense, I got Glock31). Would anyone be able to tell me if there are aftermarket 357 SIG barrels for 24/7 and PT 100?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
No, but have you considered the 165 or 155 JHP for the .40 S&W? The lighter versions allow a lot of additional velocity... not to mention reloading which with right loads should do nicely.

·
32,737 Posts
The only .357 SIG caliber that Taurus made for any length of time was the 957 based on a similar type frame. Those are on the used market and no longer being made.

There is the .38 Super in the model 38. Those are similar to the 911 in ways.Taurus is makeing this model currently.

Cimarron is right about the .40S&W loads in that weight class. Ammo manufacturers used to put out sedate loads in those weight classes at one time, but have since have inc increased velocity for all those.

There is even a 135gr. JHP put out by several ammo companies that are real screamers and are better stoppers than the heavier bullet weight loads. Though the heavier weight bullets can be more versatile for use.

·
32,737 Posts
Folks can start a caliber war if they want to, but it would be pounding sand down a rat hole. It goes like this.

All the cartridges from the midbore to the large bore that are serious handgun cartridges have excellent track records for many reasons.Pick one that you are comfortable with and have faith in it.

From the .38 Special-9mm. class to the .45ACP and others, these all will do the job.

The Jello Junkies, the Morgue Monsters , and others can argue and nitpick minor stuff and tell anecdotal evidence all day, all month, or forever. Nothing will come of it.

All handgun cartridges are feeble killers compared to the rifle and other larger weapons. Take a look at the large main target area of a human and then compare the size of any bullet to it. Kind of small compared to the area of the target aren't they? These are used for stopping an attack rather than for killing power which is still be debated as to what the criteria are. One cannot make a total science of this. There are just to many variables to be able to draw actual hard fact conclusions. Even most of the patholigists and scientists cannot agree on a cosensus.

What actually works in the real world counts. And all the cartridges mentioned above have worked.

Yes there are failers to stop. That can said of any of the major or minor calibers.

Moros,Zulus, Fuzzy Wuzzies, Mahadists, and criminals on substances or adrenalin dumps have been bullet sponges for handgun,rifle, and shotgun fire as well as to multiple fatal hits and still killed or greiviously hurt someone before succumbing.These warriors and criminals were not impressed by any of the above mentioned firearms or firepower.

One can kill an attacker and he will still have enough time before expiring to kill or cause great harm. The 1986 Miaimi Massacre is just one example of many happeinings of this type of thing.

As has been documented by the credentialed self defense teachers in the media, handguns are for convience when something bigger cannot be carried or used. Clint Smith, Mas Ayoob, Awerbuck, Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor and many others have all put this forth at one time or another despite their caliber favorites.

So pick a caliber in the .38 Special-9mm. or a bigger class on up. Find a decent hollowpoint load with a proven record and be confident of it.

I pick the .38 Special and 9x19 as my choice of calibers. That is my personal decision.

Also in the battery are or were .44 Special and a .45ACP and have shot many types of handguns and cartridges. The ones that fit the niches that needed to be filled were. These decisions being somewhat subjective and objective were made. I do not look down upon the other pistol cartridges and maintain that other calibers can fill the bill.

There is nothing wrong with the larger caliber or higher velocity catridges. One has to have an open mind and fill your own criterea that fit you.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Qwiks draw said:
One can kill an attacker and he will still have enough time before expiring to kill or cause great harm. The 1986 Miaimi Massacre is just one example of many happeinings of this type of thing.

Thanks for the reference Qwiks, I just looked that up and did a little reading, never heard of that before. All I can say after reading that is that I will obsess much less about calibers now. If a 158 gr. +P to the head (and multiple other hits) fails to fix your BG problem, you're just having a VERY BAD day that cannot be blamed on caliber choice.

·
32,737 Posts
Most of the credentialed gun instructors make use of this as a reference for teaching tactics, gjk5. Mas Ayoob,Clint Smith, Chuck Taylor and many other writers also cover this in their articles from time to time.

Be careful what books or articles you read. There are only a few impartial or well written books on this. Bad tactics,poor planning, an agent making an unauthorized move with his car,poor training, putting guns on car seats before criminal's car was rammed, among others are the reasons why things happened the way they did. Oh, yes. Most agents took sidearms to a longarm fight. And, the agents all had access to longarms before they took to the field. Most chose not to and shotguns are poor substitutes to against a rifle wielding fanatic who is highly skilled in it's use.

I am not coming down on the agents per se. Their dedication, self sacrifice, dealing with an already bad situation that was just getting worse, and the agents bravery are unquestionable.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well said QD.

Todd

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: A strange question from a newbie. Please, forgive me if I say something dumb

Cant carry my 7.62 Nato concealed so I have to be content with either light and fast 9mm, heavy and slow .45 acp or fast and heavy 10MM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts