Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a grim experience at work related to concealed carry and proper safety that I wanted to share.

I work as the VP for Operations for our company and as such I oversee renovations of facilities, offices, etc. I was doing just that on this last Thursday when I met with an electrical contractor at the site of a store front we're converting into office space. I met with this person early in the morning, we discussed the job and I left him at the site at about 9:10 am and returned to my office a couple of blocks away in our admin building. I didn't know at the time this individual was carrying a firearm.

About twenty minutes later I receive a panic call from a office building we have across the street from this site telling me that there is a lot of police, an ambulance and a report that a weapon had been discharged at the site. As the only available member of our senior management team, I went to see what was going on.

There were a lot of police on the scene. I saw as I walked up the street was that the paramedics were not rushing about but, were just standing around their vehicle. A bad sign.

I enter the building and I'm immediately stopped by a half of dozen officers who indicated that I couldn't be in there, that it was a crime scene. I explained I had some very nervous staff on the second level of that building (where we had offices) and in our building across the street and I needed to get some information so I could reassure my staff. The police were completely professional and promised a supervisor would come out to speak to me which he later did. Two things I did notice before I left the building: one, all the other contractors were gathered by the police in one room and to a man looked shell shocked and two, there was a strip of yellow crime scene tape across the hallway towards the back of the building and beyond that more police and a form laying on the floor.

After a few minutes, the police supervisor comes out and talks to me. An accidental discharge, a fatality, investigation still underway. Although the officer won't identify the victim, I know from who wasn't among the people the police were holding that it was the contractor I had been speaking less than an hour before.

I go about my business, stopping the rumor mill and notifying the right people.

Later I get the full story. The deceased contractor was carrying a concealed pistol and after I left him, took it out to show his coworkers. To impress them with it's safety, he placed the pistol to his head and pulled the trigger. A tragic mistake.

Later that day, after the police had finished and the body removed, I had the responsibility to see about the clean up of the scene.

One more poignant scene. In a mass of coagulated blood was a depression about the size of the back of a man's head and beside the pool, the man's baseball cap, left where it must have dropped when he fell.

I won't belabor the multiple mistakes made here. I'll only say that this should remind us all that we carry a huge responsibility in that holster.

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Yeah it's never cool when you deal with a fatality from a shooting. Especially one that was as preventable as this. I never take my firearm out of it's holster to show people when I'm out and about at work or in public. I will when I'm at home but the pistol always gets pointed in a safe direction, unloaded and safety checked first. Then if they want to hold it I tell them to rack the slide back so they can be sure that it's unloaded for themselves and then I tell them not to point it at anyone and keep the finger away from the trigger.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was told of that incident Friday afternoon at work by a guy who knew him from when their sons were in Cub Scouts. Tragic. Violated all the basic rules of gun safety and paid the ultimate price.

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
It's hard to put in correct terms, but there is a certain "experience threshold" with firearms and with their effects, that, once crossed, makes it unlikely that the traveler will make that kind of mistake.

There is something about having seen it that removes the "theoretical" aspect of safety rules.

Reactions: 91 whiskey

·
Super Moderator
13,913 Posts
This is a totally and tragically heartbreaking story. What a foolish and unnecessary death. Thank you for sharing it with us, it's a good reminder of the responsibility we all have when we carry. Prayers for his family, friends and coworkers.

·
Registered
9,585 Posts
Wow - soooo sad...

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
My thoughts are for his family and associates. Very sad.

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
Wow! What can one say about this unthinkable act of stupidity. I feel for the mans family and friends, but it must be called what it is, pure reckless judgement in the handling of a firearm. ....I guess the safety did not work or he did not understand the workings of the safety features of the firearm; number one, keep your bugger hook off the trigger; number two, never put a loaded gun to your head and pull the trigger. ......I can't say this is a wake-up call for the members of TA.net, but is a good one for all others who may pickup a gun.

·
Super Moderator
21,631 Posts
I can see children picking up a loaded gun and a tragic accident happen. But this really bothers me that a grown man would take a loaded gun and put it to his head for any reason and then pull the trigger. There is just certain things as gun owner's that we just don't do. And showing friends anything in public is something I deem a forbidden act. There are just too many things that can go wrong. At home yes with great caution, but never in public! And this is why!!!

·
Supporting SuperModerator
15,185 Posts
Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
A very tragic event for all involved. Unless the man bought that gun just the day before I find that level of stupidity unbelievable! My thoughts lean to secret suicide to collect insurance...... or some other reason..... but plain stupidity,I find hard to believe.

·
Premium Member
4,850 Posts
It is sad -- and shocking for the witnesses. Also glad none of them were injured or killed. Psychologically, they're damaged for sure.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
Well he won't do that again. I'm not the one that pulled the trigger so no bashing.

Reactions: JimmyA
1 - 20 of 44 Posts