Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crime seems to be growing at a crazy rate. People are braver, brasher and either more willing to try or more confident that they won't fail.

Meanwhile. the number of people buying guns for self defense, getting their concealed carry permit/licenses, and becoming first time gun owners
is increasing at a rate never seen before. The number of people who carry this year is over 10 times what it was just 7 years ago.

In the news, we read/hear about more criminals and thugs being shot/killed during the commission of a crime or in self defense.

So, it seems that in the bigger picture, crime may becomes a self correcting problem in that : you try to attack, or rob somebody, your career just might end right there.

·
Registered
24,546 Posts
I approve this message.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I also approve it. And it seems very logical.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's a darn shame that the bad guys are too dumb to learn from the mistakes of others in their same profession.

·
Super Moderator
13,814 Posts
The employees at my LGS are telling me that their sales this holiday season are through the roof. They also tell me that there is a percentage of first-time gun buyers who really shouldn't be allowed to walk through their front door, much less buy or own a gun, without taking classes in Firearms Basics, Common Sense 101, and TV And Movies Aren't The Real World 101. The employees try to tell them, but too many think they already know everything.

This being America, however, they have the right to buy and own firearms. You mention, scoutfish, that criminals don't seem to learn; here's hoping and praying that the newbies to our world do learn before it's too late.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
There's so much logic in your statement that if a liberal read it their head may explode!

Reactions: gbusmech

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
Here's hoping things will continue to correct.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I reckon so....

·
Super Moderator
40,478 Posts
Crime seems to be growing at a crazy rate. People are braver, brasher and either more willing to try or more confident that they won't fail.

Meanwhile. the number of people buying guns for self defense, getting their concealed carry permit/licenses, and becoming first time gun owners
is increasing at a rate never seen before. The number of people who carry this year is over 10 times what it was just 7 years ago.

In the news, we read/hear about more criminals and thugs being shot/killed during the commission of a crime or in self defense.

So, it seems that in the bigger picture, crime may becomes a self correcting problem in that : you try to attack, or rob somebody, your career just might end right there.
I hope it continues to go this way. My biggest fear is that criminals will step it up a notch and shoot first rob second. Someone concealed carrying won't stand a chance. This will however also draw more attention to the thug doing the shooting, gun shots tend to draw attention and that is usually one thing a thug does not want. Be safe!

·
Super Moderator
26,924 Posts
Reactions: TrucksNCoffee

·
Registered
16,972 Posts
I doubt if crime is increasing.
It appears that way because that is all the news media talks about.
If someone dies, is shot, run over, beat up, assaulted, robbed, kidnapped, has a weird disease
ad infinitum you can bet your bippy you will hear about it. Over and over. For days. Then when there isn't
any more "news" they will bring it up again pretending it is all brand new.
The news media is nothing but a running video of the obituary column.
It is a visually oriented version of the National Enquirer.
It invades people's personal lives with no consideration to privacy, morals or ethics at the time when
those people need their privacy the most.
I have nothing but contempt for the news media and everyone who works in the field.
They are vultures with microphones. They feed off death and misery with an uncontrollable urge to spread it around.
They are a political tool with no sense of logic, fairness, common sense or what is best for the country.

Ok. Whew. I feel much better now.
Carry on.
Smoke'em if ya got'em.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I will say that crime indeed is increasing.

Maybe not by ratio of people, but the number of crimes happening.

Know what I mean? Lets say a town has 100 people in it 30 years ago. Two of those people committed crimes.

Today that town has 100,000 people in it and there are 300 crimes committed.

Technically, the crime rate has gone down, but the actual number of crimes has gone up.

The chances or odds of a person being a victim of a crime is higher than it was years ago.

So, the bigger the population, the more crimes committed even if the ratio has gone down.

Personally, if there were only two criminals in the whole United States, I'm gonna prep for the chance that one or both might come to my house.

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
Granted I do realize that not all crimes are reported but I still think the statistics are at least a good measure of what is actually happening.

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm curious. How can the crime rate go down if the actual number of crimes is on the increase?

Based on percentages and ratio.

1,000 crimes committed per 300,000 people ( is lower rate than 20 crimes committed per 100 people -
but 1,000 crimes committed is still more crimes than 20 crimes committed

Reactions: Fishinkeylargo
1 - 20 of 43 Posts