Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
It is sad when one comes to this but I cant say I wouldnt want the same thing.

·
Super Moderator
35,578 Posts
It's a very tough situation. As I read the beginning I thought of Stephen Hawking who has made huge contributions to the science of physics despite being in essentially the same condition.

Euthanasia is, in my opinion, one of the big goals of the "progressive" movement. Think of it as a very late term abortion. It is their prime answer to the problem of "useless eaters", kind of a man made plague to thin the herd and it is the ultimate redistribution of wealth. It worked that way during the plagues of the middle ages and in the same way for Adolph Hitler.

My religious education and my faith tell me that we live and die on God's time. To take that decision into our hands, either to abort a fetus or end what we view as a "worthless life" is putting ourselves in God's place. I don't think I want to have to answer for those actions.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
That would be a real tough situation, but the way it is it creates a tremendous strain on the family and their fianances?:(

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
This also happened to my step-sons girlfriends father. He has been in 'locked in syndrome' for a few years now - he had a stroke initially.

He communicates with eye movements which are 'translated' onto a screen.

It is incredibly stressful on the family, to the point that he is now divorced (this was on the cards before his stroke) and his daughter finds it hard to go see him as it is very distressing.

He needs 24 hour care and is in a care home. I haven't actually met him as they live in nothern UK, we live in the south, and we have not 'pushed' the situation as the girl is so upset over it all.

From what i have heard he is very down, but I have never heard that he wants to end his life.

I have no idea how I would react in the same situation.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
We euthanize animals all the time in the name of "the humane thing to do". Should we be less 'humane' or respectful with each other?

Maybe we should first define 'humane'.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
This subject is a close one for me. My favorite Aunt had MS and ended up being in a wheel chair with little ability to move body parts independantly except her head. Knowing her she would not have chosen that route but the ability to do so if she had wished should have been hers.

Hawking is an exceptional case and one still wonders what he would be capable of if he still had full range mobility.

I myself recently had a reason to think of what would I do along these sort of lines. Not as extreme however. For a few hours one morning I had no feeling or ability to move in my legs below my knees. I realized that if it were permanent I could still do dang near everything I currently do but school itself would be a huge challenge. Everything is built for folks who can stand. So stove-tops and such would not be very accessible. Docs says I dodged a bullet from blood clots in both legs and the position I had fallen asleep in. But my circulation seemed good in both legs during the event. Good pulse at the ankle, nice pink and warm. No strange sensations when everything began working again either as if my legs had been asleep. *grin* I did think of trying to get up these dangs steps tho!

Sarge

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
that's not living thats exsisting, a big difference. i would want to be put out of my misery. problem is so called conservs. want government out of your life but yet they want government laws to prevent eunthanasia.

·
Super Moderator
35,578 Posts
that's not living thats exsisting, a big difference. i would want to be put out of my misery. problem is so called conservs. want government out of your life but yet they want government laws to prevent eunthanasia.
Really it's the Libertarian and Anarchist philosophy that wants government out of your life. They believe that people should be provided with and be able to shoot speedballs in their veins 6 times a day if they choose. Conservatives believe that smaller federal government puts the power within the state and local government as long as they stay within the guidelines of the Constitution.

I really believe that the "quality of life" if between each person's ears and that it is a very relative definition. Many times it happens that the degradation of a person's physical ability results in enhanced features in another. While some people experience a depression due to the loss of physical ability due to age, accident or infirmity, that depression should be treated...and not with a bullet or a lethal injection.

I must again make the analogy that if a person believes that euthanasia is a proper and morally correct way to deal with life's challenges then they should also have no problem with abortion. It's just a different timeline.

Reactions: dogchild

·
Registered
155 Posts
It's a very tough situation. As I read the beginning I thought of Stephen Hawking who has made huge contributions to the science of physics despite being in essentially the same condition.

Euthanasia is, in my opinion, one of the big goals of the "progressive" movement. Think of it as a very late term abortion. It is their prime answer to the problem of "useless eaters", kind of a man made plague to thin the herd and it is the ultimate redistribution of wealth. It worked that way during the plagues of the middle ages and in the same way for Adolph Hitler.

My religious education and my faith tell me that we live and die on God's time. To take that decision into our hands, either to abort a fetus or end what we view as a "worthless life" is putting ourselves in God's place. I don't think I want to have to answer for those actions.
That makes no sense, since progressives generally want social programs to help people, not leave them on their own to die. Who is to say that it is not God telling him this is the end? If it all truly on God's time, then the decision is not truly ours to make, it is His. It shouldn't be God's will, unless you disagree with it.

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
If you see me blinking pull the plug, I won't be any help on the trigger finger at that point.

·
5,686 Posts
How can anyone judge this man or tell him what he should or should not do without being in his place?

If it were me, I would pray long and hard on my situation and then ask God to forgive me for what I am about to do and do it.

God bless him for not wanting to harm anyone else in his quest to find peace. This is truly one of those times that I feel the government has no right to throw it's weight around or put it's fat nose in it. This is different than abortion, an unborn baby hasn't a choice or say, this man is choosing for himself.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is different than abortion, an unborn baby hasn't a choice or say, this man is choosing for himself.
Excellent point, MissKitty.

Reactions: ozzy

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
His life his choice.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I know I would never want to exsist like this. Personally when I get to this point you can take me somewhere there are dangerous wild animals and let nature take its course.

Dialysis patients can choose to not accept treatment which will kill them.

My biggest concern in these matters is how effectively the patient can communicate for themselves.

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Super Moderator
35,578 Posts
How can anyone judge this man or tell him what he should or should not do without being in his place?

If it were me, I would pray long and hard on my situation and then ask God to forgive me for what I am about to do and do it.

God bless him for not wanting to harm anyone else in his quest to find peace. This is truly one of those times that I feel the government has no right to throw it's weight around or put it's fat nose in it. This is different than abortion, an unborn baby hasn't a choice or say, this man is choosing for himself.
Your point is well taken as in the instance of a person deciding in clear mind and conscience is making a decision that is personal and between them and their God. It is ironic that it is the same argument that the Pro Choice group uses the same debate point (ignoring that another life is involved that is not given and equal choice in the matter).

This is the same thing however that "mucks up" the matter of euthanasia. Should a depressed individual with a relatively minor (eg: not life threatening) affliction be given free rein to end their life when in the depths of their depression? What about an assisted suicide of an elderly person who either becomes depressed as a result of pre-meditated elder abuse where the person who stands to inherit their estate is the abuser and/or the euthanasia facilitator.

Government needs to stay out of matters of individual conscience, but does need to protect the rights and dignity of that individual and all of those affected by that person's decisions.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
That makes no sense, since progressives generally want social programs to help people, not leave them on their own to die. Who is to say that it is not God telling him this is the end? If it all truly on God's time, then the decision is not truly ours to make, it is His. It shouldn't be God's will, unless you disagree with it.
Perhaps but just a century or so ago this man would of died. Medical science now has the power to keep the body alive long past when it should. Now god or science which has the power to make the decission in todays world.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
i lost my father a bit back, he went to doctor with a sore shoulder (75yrs old) he came home to mom with stage cancer, he shortley there aftere went to hospital in incredible pain, cancer had hit his lungs and spread in months, theyclaimed they could control the pain, he asked his family if it was ok to die. we blessed him and he passed away , he did not want to suffer any more, wrong or right, then my mother less than a year later, went to hospital very sick, they healed her up but she ended up in hospital for 5 mons with various bacterial infections, whittled her down to nothing, the docs kept telling us shell be fine , one day she passed, she fought hard, but died any way, i cant help but wonder who was the smartest, dad i think i will be like him, if i feel useless i outa here, goverment or not!, and on mr hawking, i believe he is who he is because of his disabilty, a most incredible person, whom deserves more now, not after he passes

·
Registered
461 Posts
If there is no doubt that he is "All there upstairs" he should have his family take him to Switzerland. My Mother, after getting over a pretty severe stroke was later diagnosed with leukemia. It was HER choice to refuse any treatment, and though I miss her, I respect HER decision. When it comes time for me to "Take the long walk"
I will do it as MY decision.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts