Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
9,094 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently sold my two 1911's to a friend and have been looking to fill the void in my collection since. Smoky Mountain Guns listed this beautiful series 70 competition 1911 for $799. The price was right and the planets aligned, so I purchased my first Colt 1911.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft gun Gun accessory The special edition Colt weighs in at 39.1 oz's with an empty mag. It has a 3.3lb SA trigger pull and came in a Colt suitcase size plastic case. This is the tightest 1911 I have owned. The hammer spring is very strong as well. No easy cocking or racking with this beast.
Tool Metalworking hand tool The Colt competition series comes with custom G10 grips, upswept beavertail grip safety, and undercut trigger guard. The dual recoil spring system reduces felt recoil while extending recoil spring life. It also includes a 5" national match barrel and Novak adjustable fiber optic sights.
Gun Firearm Trigger Starting pistol Airsoft gun This beauty comes with 2 flush fit Colt polished 8 round 45acp magazines and has an overall length of 8.5 inches. I purchased two additional Mec-Gar 8 round mags to go along with it. The slide is a round top, with flat sides and standard rear cocking serrations. The dust cover is clean with no rails. The frame features a smooth front strap and undercut trigger guard. There is no extended magazine well; just the normal 1911 bevel. The mainspring housing is flat and grooved. The controls are single left side with a checkered magazine release, slide stop, and an extended combat-style thumb safety. The case also included three spare fiber optic rods (blue, green and red), red came installed on the pistol. What sets these new models apart from the previous Competition series is that the Series 80 firing system is gone. It’s been replaced with the Series 70 firing system a better choice for its intended usage.
The bushing to barrel fit is impeccable. The slide is fitted very snugly to the frame, no rattles , no play - and very tight tolerances. Which all results in excellent accuracy.
Illustration Art This 8 inch sticky was set a 25 yards and I was using cheap CCI blazer brass 230 grn range ammo. Once I found the POI, all the rounds went through the same 1.5 inch hole. I am quite pleased with my first Colt 1911, but I am an equal opportunity collector so I also recently purchased a RIA 22TCM/9MM full size 1911 as well..The review on that pistol will be coming soon. Thanks for taking a few minutes to read my review. Winter is over so lets get out there and train some new shooters and enjoy some shooting time.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Great acquisition.

Reactions: silverstring

·
23,204 Posts
Lifelong treasure. Outstanding pistol, and outstanding shooting. Thanks for sharing this with us!

·
Registered
37,067 Posts
Sounds like a very good price for the Colt.
reminds me a bit of my Combat Elite Colt, the recoil spring reminds me of the Springfield Armory Range Officer, that thing has one looooong recoil spring in it.
enjoy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts