Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first bolt action Mossberg 20 gauge when I was 15, which was 1963. It beat the Hopkins and Allen 12 gauge break open I had bought at age 13. I also bought a Mossberg 16 gauge at age 18 in 16 gauge I eventually gave my dad for crows. My first introduction to shooting a .22 was a bolt action Mossberg .22 rifle with a detachable magazine and a black fold down forearm. It had a military style three prong front sight. Over the years, I bought a few more Mossberg Products. Pump shotguns mostly, but I was never disappointed with the Brand. Always stamped Manufactured in New Haven, Connecticut. Just for grins, I did look the company up, and today, most of the Mossberg Products are made in Eagle Pass, Texas, and have been for longer than I would have thought.

I know, the Wuhan Virus has been problematic along the border. I'm curious if this has affected the output of the company. I couldn't find any news about how the virus has affected output, but feel pretty sure it has.

https://www.click2houston.com/features/2020/04/06/made-in-texas-the-story-behind-mossberg-sons-the-oldest-family-owned-firearm-manufacturer-in-the-us/

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
I remember the western auto sporting goods store in 1970 having the rack full of Mossberg 500s. Before hunting season. They would be sold out by Xmas. I was so sad they sold out as I wanted one. I got my grandpa's 16ga Ithaca 37 featherlight and was happy. But my friend got one and it was an itch i have never scratched.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
Well, lessee, I had a Revelation M310, just a 500 mossberg with a single action bar. I had a Mossberg M152 .22 caliber semi-auto with the fold down stock and front sight with ears. It had a peep sight which later broke off so I mounted a scope on it. I gave it to my daughter and my ex SIL wound up with it. Shoulda kept it, but my 10/22 is a better rifle.

I bought a camo M500 in the early 90s and have killed a pick up bed full of ducks and geese with that shotgun. I found a M535 (fires 3.5" as well as everything else and is the size of a 500) at a pawn shop used for $170, couldn't turn it down. Lately, I bought a 20 gauge Shockwave for a truck gun and antifa season. :D

Anyway, I'm well acquainted with the 500 mossy, though I have other guns I like for doves and other than waterfowl.

Reactions: Jake3501

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
I have always preferred Mossbergs because the safety is right under my right thumb. My preference was reinforced when Remington's quality fell.

That's especially handy for a southpaw shooter like me. :D

·
Registered
993 Posts
I got me a Mossberg 500 12 magnum. Nice gun. There's nothing that will get someone's attention quicker than the sound of a pump action being racked..!! As you will be aware of our arcane and, often, mystifying gun laws in GB, I can't have my Mossberg on a shotgun certificate. "Why's that Tom?" I hear you ask. Well it's simple (or, actually, the law covering it was 'engineered' by someone simple) Maximum capacity for semi-auto and pump shotguns is three cartridges. OK, fine.. ah but my Mossberg is chambered for magnum cartridges..!! So I can actually get THREE in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. Don't need no PhD to work out that's FOUR cartridges. So it has to be classified as a firearm.. Only in Great Britain..!!

It's a lot different from the Wingmaster I used in Northern Ireland in the 70's. We sued them with bag shells to remove doors that people didn't want us to open.. to good effect.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got me a Mossberg 500 12 magnum. Nice gun. There's nothing that will get someone's attention quicker than the sound of a pump action being racked..!! As you will be aware of our arcane and, often, mystifying gun laws in GB, I can't have my Mossberg on a shotgun certificate. "Why's that Tom?" I hear you ask. Well it's simple (or, actually, the law covering it was 'engineered' by someone simple) Maximum capacity for semi-auto and pump shotguns is three cartridges. OK, fine.. ah but my Mossberg is chambered for magnum cartridges..!! So I can actually get THREE in the magazine, plus one in the chamber. Don't need no PhD to work out that's FOUR cartridges. So it has to be classified as a firearm.. Only in Great Britain..!!

It's a lot different from the Wingmaster I used in Northern Ireland in the 70's. We sued them with bag shells to remove doors that people didn't want us to open.. to good effect.
Can you buy buck shot or Slugs in GB?

·
Registered
14,594 Posts
Last gun I bought for myself was a Mossberg 535

·
Registered
993 Posts
Can you buy buck shot or Slugs in GB?
Yes you can. Slug specifically if you're into 'target shotgun' comps. Of course here you have to show 'good reason' as to why you'd want slug, so, in order to get it, you have to prove membership of said target club. As for buckshot.. never come across any here. If you're shooting game with number 5.5 or number 6 shot you'd get raised eyebrows..!! Generally it's 7, 7.5 and 8 for most game here.

·
Super Moderator
34,947 Posts
Well, you could ring a shell for the first shot in a repeater or both shots in a double.

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, you could ring a shell for the first shot in a repeater or both shots in a double.
I have considered pouring candle wax into bird shot if I ever get desperate for something to stay together.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
Mossberg® makes quality products IMHO. Their guns are durable, inexpensive, but not cheap. For the last 20 years I have been doing ALL of my upland, waterfowl, and turkey hunting with a Mossberg® Mdl 500C 26" barrel pump gun. In all that time I've never had a misfire, jam, or malfuntion of any kind. They are like a Timex® watch in that "They take a licking and keep on ticking." I highly recommend them, particularly for a south paw shooter like myself.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts