Taurus Firearm Forum banner

On your 24/7 9mm -can you manually rack the slide & eject an unfired FMJ Round?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that says is all.
I've been having issues the past couple weeks and am trying to get a definitive answer on this. I've mentioned it in a few other posts & even asked on another forum.
Some people say they can manually rack the slide to eject an unfired chambered round, others say they can't.
Some say the reason I can't is a Taurus design flaw & others say that there is something wrong with my gun. :-\
Thing is.. I can say I USED to be able to do it & suddenly I can't. :???:

Just trying to get all my info straight before I call Taurus/take it to a gunsmith.

I appreciate all responses. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: A really quick question for 24/7 Pro owners

what happens instead? is the slide locked so you can't pull it open? does the extractor not grab the round?

you should ALWAYS be able to racke the slide to eject an unfired round. otherwise, it can't be unloaded manually and has to be shot so the slide pulls back the spent round.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts

silver_dc435 said:
what happens instead? is the slide locked so you can't pull it open? does the extractor not grab the round?

you should ALWAYS be able to racke the slide to eject an unfired round. otherwise, it can't be unloaded manually and has to be shot so the slide pulls back the spent round.
+1

·
Registered
12 Posts

Hey Guys!

After reading this, I tried to eject an unfired round and couldn't do it either!

When I pull the slide back, it will not go ALL the way back and allow me to lock it open!

The poll doesn't have enough pollsters to make a judgment based on the poll, either!

Has anyone found an answer to this, as Glenn_Frank posted multiple places???

My gun appears as in Mr. Frank's posted photos.

Now I am concerned, as well!

Please respond,

Hlaser

·
Registered
202 Posts

Just double checked, I emptied a full mag of unfired rounds no problem. Now i have to pick them all up and reload.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sorry Chad, but I appreciate the effort. I thank you and your thumbs. - that was FMJ, not hollowpoints right? Just looking to be absolutely sure.

hlaser, I didn't receive any definitive answer as of yet on the other forum. I will keep you informed. Sorry for getting you concerned though.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts

I just emptied 2 full mags of 40 S&W from my 24/7. No problems.

·
Registered
12 Posts

Glenn_Frank said:
Sorry Chad, but I appreciate the effort. I thank you and your thumbs. - that was FMJ, not hollowpoints right? Just looking to be absolutely sure.

hlaser, I didn't receive any definitive answer as of yet on the other forum. I will keep you informed. Sorry for getting you concerned though.
Glenn,

It seems we are in the same boat, so to speak!

I called the gun shop and their only offer was to let the on-staff gun smith look at it and if needed send it to Taurus for me???

Although, I bought it new two weeks ago, they refuse to give me a new one!

Let me know if you find out anything???

Thanks, ALL

Hlaser

·
Registered
57 Posts

Using WWB 230 GR. FMJ in my 24/7 45 PRO all rounds ejected whether racked fast or slow.

Glenn, is that as far back as your slide goes? When I rack mine, both the flat sides and flat top of the barrel disappear into the front part of the slide. The ejector on mine kicks out the round just as the rear edge of the side of the barrel reaches the front of the slide opening.

Good luck.

·
Registered
122 Posts

I can also eject all rounds manually. Now I have to further sweat bullet setback!!! thanks guys! Just kidding.

Anyway, I had this problem once when i was playing with the guide rod and spring. Give it a twist and hopefully it will fix it. I either unscrewed it a bit or twisted the spring(s) in a manner that prevented it from working correctly. After I did that it was fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I am not sure if you can do this with a .40 or not because the .40 is the same size a JHP 9mm. The FMJ 9mm is slighty longer and it's the last 1/16" that is contacting the barrel and not allowing it to eject. Mine is doing the same as Glenn and hlaser. Anyone else with 9mm's having this problem with FMJ's?

·
Registered
94 Posts

Yes, I've had unfired FMJ hang up against the barrel when trying to eject.

The cure? Don't rack the slide like grandma. Do it with authority, like a BLM Park Ranger.

·
Administrator
39,730 Posts

I was thinkin' the same thing as milkjuggz, only a little more subtlely. :angel:

·
Registered
99 Posts

Milkjuggz I have tried racking the slide like a lumberjack and it still only throws about three out of ten tries. Does yours still hang up on FMJ's or is it working properly? You are the 4th person with this problem so far and counting. I am going to contact Taurus if we get many more like this.

·
Registered
19 Posts

I manually unloaded two 15 rd mags of .40's through my 24/7...no problems whatsowever.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I am by no means a small guy & sometimes the harder I rack it, the more jammed it gets.
Struggling to rack a slide to eject a round cannot be the way Taurus intended.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Dante2.. Did you try twisting the guide rod and spring like I suggested?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Taurus24740cal said:
Dante2.. Did you try twisting the guide rod and spring like I suggested?
I have a few times since I saw your post. Not sure if it's my imagination, but playing with the spring DID seem to help a tiny bit. But it is still doing it at least 4 times a mag.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Yes I did try the guide rod twist didn't help much. As far as the poll goes you should add 9mm to it. That seems to be the only 24/7 with the problem. Looks like the .40's work just fine to me.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts