Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having little self control when it comes to a challenge, I began scouring the web stores and gunbroker for a pre-covid priced pistol. My Daughter and her family are coming up for spring break, I am going to make good on my promise of last year to give her a firearm for her Birthday in 2020. One of her favorite range pistols was a Canik TP9 SA when she shot my collection 3 years ago. She asked if I could have one ready for her to test again.

I was able to find a new SF for a great price ( $379 total OTD ), and it is the same as the SA, just doesn't have that controversial SA decocker.

Specs:
  • Model: TP9SF
  • Caliber: 9mm
  • Capacity: 18+1
  • Match grade barrel Length: 4.46”
  • Overall Length: 7.5”
  • Height: 5.7”
  • Width: 1.4”
  • Weight: 28 oz's w/unloaded mag / 36.4 oz's with 18+1 124 grain HP's
  • Finish: FDE Cerakote
  • Sights: 3-Dot Steel
  • MSRP: $399.99

So I did my normal clean/polish/lube to get it ready for a range test. SA trigger pull before my work was 3lb 5 oz, after my work it is 2lb 11oz's. Of course it has that incredible Canik trigger with a short reset.

Here is how it looked after running about 100 reloads through it today. As with my other Caniks, machining is excellent, fit and finish is top notch. I added rubber grip decals to it to help lock it in.

It likes 115grn and 124 grn ammo, but not so fond of my 147 grn reloads - those hits are in the 7,8, and a few in the 9 ring. But my other weight reloads were excellent, no issues today. This was shot off hand at 20 yards. It only took a few shots to figure out my hold and sight picture. After that it was off to the races. Great ergo's, value priced, reliable and a relatively mild shooter. Another great pistol from the folks at Canik.

·
22,768 Posts
Looks like a captive recoil spring on a metal rod, yes?

"it is the same as the SA, just doesn't have that controversial SA decocker." If it doesn't have a decocker, that's means it's single action (or the striker equivalent) only, right? But no thumb safety?

·
8,795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a captive recoil spring on a metal rod, yes?

"it is the same as the SA, just doesn't have that controversial SA decocker." If it doesn't have a decocker, that's means it's single action (or the striker equivalent) only, right? But no thumb safety?
Yes guide rod is steel and feels almost as heavy as the barrel. Yes it is considered SA striker, no thumb safety

·
Administrator
18,062 Posts
Happy Birthday to your Daughter and Congratulations on finding her an excellent Pistol at a good price. :)
Excellent Review and Good Shooting! :cool:

I have two Canik made Pistols, an original TP9V1 and a TriStar/Canik T120. Both are very well made and accurate.
The TP9V1 is my favorite Carry and Home Defense Pistol. The T120, a Cz75 SP01 Clone, gets used at USPSA/IPSC Practice Matches.
I've been carrying and shooting my Canik TP9V1 for about five years now with no issues and stellar accuracy.
It has never occurred to me to work on it's trigger, as it was an excellent performer, right out of the box.

Canik TP9V1 Accuracy at 50 feet with 124 grain Berrys Match Reload

It should be noted that the Canik TP9SF is the standard Military Issue Pistol for the Turkish Special Forces, replacing their mix of Cz75's and Beretta 92's.

Also note that the Canik TP9 series Pistols were originally licensed versions of the Walther P99 AS, with some modifications and improvements.
Canik has taken the German design to a whole new level with all of the different versions with their respective modifications and improvements.

I have often thought about adding a Canik TP9SF to my collection, for use as a General Field Pistol, and may do so some day.
For now, my Steyr L9A1 serves as my General Field Pistol.

You have acquired a Pistol for your Daughter that will serve her very very well ! :cool: :)

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
8,212 Posts
Thanks for your quick review.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Very nice.
Canik has been importing great, affordable guns over the years.

I have the TP9-SFX, with a Vortex Venom on it, fun range or competition gun.

Happy Birthday to the young lady.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts