Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question on the correct sight picture using the issue Heinie sights on the PT 1911.

For the correct sight picture does the front sight dot sit atop the rear sight dot to make a figure 8 ? Or, does one level the front sight top with the top of the rear sight and use a 6 o'clock hold ?

My Taurus shot a good 6 inches low at 7 yards but I used a 6 o'clock hold with a figure 8 sight picture which really places the top of the front sight very low in the rear sight notch and may account for the low bullet placement. Next time out I plan to blacken the dots and use a typical target hold at 6 o'clock and at 7 yards and see what happens.

Des

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
I put mine on top of each other, hence straight 8, with the target just above the top dot. This may take a little time to get used to but it does work. After having them a while many prefer them over 3 dot systems. I like both.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
In rapid fire, the straight 8 system seems easier to pick up quickly and with a 6 o'clock hold, I can pretty much cut a big ragged hole with 3 clips... solid enough for defense. If this were a target gun, I'd be looking for some adjustable sights to have mounted... like the Novack.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It took me a few rounds to get used to it, but now love it. At 15 yds. with a 6 o clock hold it hits dead on. If the snow melts by June plan on doing some 25 yd. bullseye shooting. Don't like loosing brass and snow still knee deep.
Very accurate pistol, wish my Colt Commander had Straight 8s on it.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Heinie straight eight sights. Front dot on top of rear dot to make a figure '8', then aim front dot directly on intended target - point of aim, is point of impact.

·
Premium Member
15,931 Posts
Well, I worried about those darn sights since October. I could not get them right. Finally, I was able to get most shots above the centerline, with the PT111, then I put the Handall Jr grip on it. It was even better.
I shot my CCW qualification yesterday with it which is done at 7 yards, and put all 20 in the center of a B21 target in the 5" circle. But I did hold with the top dot, very seperated from the bottom one. Almost the top of the top dot just below the edge of the rear sight.

It was pouring rain, and freezeing cold and I could still hit the target where I wanted too. Now that is stress after waiting for almost 40 minutes in the cold and wet to shoot.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks, all. I had to go get my PT1911 as I had forgotten what sort of Heine sights it had. Yup, straight 8 sights. Just like sbninja said, "Point of aim is point of impact."

And if it isn't, it's my fault. Hey, sbninja, does the "ninja" stand for a martial arts type or for a Kawasaki motorcycle? Just curious.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep, on the Heinie web site under the Taurus section it says, " These are not designed to be used with a 6 o'clock hold."

Having spent the last 40 years using a 6 o'clock sight picture it is going to take a lot of practice to shoot POA. In the mean time a search will begin for an adjustable rear sight that will fit or having a gunsmith do what is necessary to fit one.

The Taurus manual describes a 6 o'clock hold with this handgun.

Thanks for the information gentlemen.

Des

·
Registered
57 Posts
Desmond,
Why not listen to PT1911 owners paulrabe78, Cimarron and popplecop and your manual? :???:

The Heine Taurus section is for the 24/7 pistols, which is what I have. :)

The PT1911 sights may be the same, but it doesn't seem that way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts