Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you know,,I shoot the Taurus Raging Bull 454.
I ve got a buddy that is willing to reload for me.

My question is can I buy one style of bullet that will work in the .45 long Colt,,"AND" the .454? I would like to reload the .45 L/C hot, with the 300Gr XTP bullet and use the same bullet in the .454. Will this work?

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
You can use that bullet but, Hornady makes an XTP Mag specifically for the 454 and the 460 S&W. The 300 XTP-HP may not stand up to full house 454 loads. Hornady makes two different weights of the Mag style bullet for the high pressure cartridges, 240 grain and 300 grain. You can use them in 45 Colt but they will not perform as designed at the lower pressures and velocities. Load some and try them in penetration tests and see what they do.

Reactions: olfarhors

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
My buddy loaded some of those 300 XTP that I had for my .45 Colt into his .454 and they shoot just fine. They do leave a large exit hole in a deer but will put em down real good.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
I've got one superstition on high-pressure, high-velocity ammo - - - - - - I shoot only stuff from the factory or that's loaded by ME! I've been handloading since the 80's, and I still make an occasional mistake. No offense to anyone's buddy --- they may be way more careful than I am ---- but I've encountered enough problems over the years that I tend to be real cautious with handloads. Just saying.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
I load for both the 45 colt and 454. Guesser is right about the XTP bullets. The ones for the 454 have a tougher jacket than the others because of the higher chamber pressures. The bullets for the 454 will open at a limited range with the heavy Ruger only loads. From 50 yards out preformance is questionable. A good compromise bullet choice is wide nose flat point hardcast with gaschecks. Out of the Raging Bull you will need to clean often with cast, some are dirtier than others. The wide nose flat point hardcast kill game as well as hollow points out of big bore handguns.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts