Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tannerite is used for making explosive targets, set off by the concussion of being hit by a bullet.

We've all seen demonstrations on various gun shows. How is it that Tannerite is legal for across the counter sales?

I've just been wondering about this for sometime.

Reactions: mingaa and jonrjen

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I beleive its legal because of the massive amount of force needed to detonate. You cant detonate it with fire or electricity or anything like that. It takes a pretty high powered round to set it off.

Reactions: ozzy and mingaa

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
It is two substances - neither one is an explosive by itself. Just one of those funny loopholes that will probably slowly close. It is already banned in MD iirc. It has roots in avalanche control. Even in its mixed state I understand that it is difficult to ignite. Isn't it sold in two types each intended for different firearm rounds? Apparently even mixed you can beat it with a hammer to no result.

Some long range shooters use it as a visible indication of a target strike. Others - well, yeah...

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
In Texas you buy two substances that by themselves are inert. It is legal to transport these two substances separate but once you mix them you can no longer legally transport them. Aluminum powder and ammonia nitrate; aluminum powder can be bought off ebay and ammonia nitrate can be found in certain cold packs.

Reactions: whichfinger

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Tanerite is fun.

[video=facebook;10151035916952944]http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10151035916952944&l=885139657561690666 7[/video]

·
10,382 Posts
Shhh! Don't give 'em any ideas! I love shooting my tannerite and since it sucks the oxygen out of the area when it goes BOOM it's not near as likely to cause fires (some targets actually promote themselves as fireproof) I can still have fun shooting things that go BOOM without worrying about burning down the northern half of Wisconsin in the summer time when it seems like a duck's fart will cause wildfires.

And it also makes for a good replacement for TNT for getting rid of stumps/rocks.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
21,219 Posts
Shhh! Don't give 'em any ideas! I love shooting my tannerite and since it sucks the oxygen out of the area when it goes BOOM it's not near as likely to cause fires (some targets actually promote themselves as fireproof) I can still have fun shooting things that go BOOM without worrying about burning down the northern half of Wisconsin in the summer time when it seems like a duck's fart will cause wildfires.

And it also makes for a good replacement for TNT for getting rid of stumps/rocks.

shhhhh, with tanerite!

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Super Moderator
20,208 Posts
Binary explosive,It wont explode until the two are mixed together.
Another DieHard 3 Fan, no less.....

I was thinking the same thing after reading the description above

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Mythbusters tested it. They put it through the ringer but nothing happened until they shot it. That was another episode I ruined for my girlfriend.
Did Mythbusters try a blasting cap? I'm sure blasting caps are hard to come by, as probably is safety fuse, but cannon fuse isn't, and I can think of a way to improvise for blasting caps, but won't discuss it here...because it's against the rules...and I don't want any late night visitors or fly-overs.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,548 Posts
Did Mythbusters try a blasting cap? I'm sure blasting caps are hard to come by, as probably is safety fuse, but cannon fuse isn't, and I can think of a way to improvise for blasting caps, but won't discuss it here...because it's against the rules...and I don't want any late night visitors or fly-overs.
And I'm sure you don't want another visit from the Special Ops Squirrel Squad

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
I beleive its legal because of the massive amount of force needed to detonate. You cant detonate it with fire or electricity or anything like that. It takes a pretty high powered round to set it off.
It takes a round with a terminal velocity of 2000 fps or greater. (Terminal velocity meaning the velocity upon striking the target). We used a whole bunch of it at our "Lethal Impact" demonstrations at our 4-H senior Shooting Sports camp last year. Some of the kids (as well as some of the adults) found it ironic that a 230gr round fired from a 1911 would not detonate it, while a 55gr round out of an AR would. Some of the stuff we used was bought over the counter, and some was "home brew."

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
They have some now that can be set off with .22 rimfire. Wonder what the difference is?
It would just be the proper mix of the right chemicals.
I know one formula that can be set off just by stepping on it painted on the floor.
No, it won't blow your foot off, it just makes a loud bang.

·
Registered
701 Posts
And I'm sure you don't want another visit from the Special Ops Squirrel Squad

That Squirrel is special forces! Now if he only had a Taurus think of the possibilities ! LOL

·
Registered
708 Posts
That sounds pretty cool. Do you have a recipe to share? Prob not since this forum does not allow this type of thing. I would accept a PM though. Thanks.
It would just be the proper mix of the right chemicals.
I know one formula that can be set off just by stepping on it painted on the floor.
No, it won't blow your foot off, it just makes a loud bang.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.