Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Ruger guy most of the time that I've been fooling with handguns. The majority of my guns are Rugers.

I have recently been thinking of getting another .357 revolver. Of course the Ruger GP100 is a tremendous gun and I'm certain that I would be delighted with one if I chose that one. But before I buy, I decided to scout around and see what else was out there. Thus, I have been looking at and reading about the Taurus 608 and the 627. I like the 4" barrel versions most of the time.

My wife and I both looked at these two Tauri pieces at a store this morning. I like the grip and feel of the 627 better, but the trigger pull on the 608 was probably the sweetest that I have ever felt on a gun. Absolutely incredible! Anyway, I decided to drop by here and ask for any insights that might help me choose one of these guns. Once I've decided between the two, then I'll have to decide between it and the Ruger... ;D

Amistad

·
Registered
178 Posts
Amistad, First let me welcome you to the forum. Second, I have been known to buy the handgun with the best trigger. Triggers are very important in precision shooting. Others who own the actual models may chip in with 1st hand advise. Good shooting. Frank

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum, glad you could join us.

Secondly, we have a few members that own either the 608 or the .357 Tracker. I have the latter with the 6" barrel and it is a pleasure to shoot as well as accurate. I had been running roughly half 125 gr. loads and half 158. loads through it but that number has shifted to about 90%/10% in favor of the 158 grainers.

The porting, weight of the revolver and the ribber grips all work in unison to tame the recoil and they do a very good job of it. Hot 125 gr. and 158 gr. loads are pleasant enough to me to shoot all day if I wished to.

I can't comment on the 608 since I have no experience with that model but hopefully someone who owns one can chime in.

Taurus & Ruger are my two favorite manufacturers and love both equally. That being said, I think whichever of the three revolvers you end up with, you'll have made a great choice regardless. www.rugerforum.net

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
IIRC Houge makes grips for boths guns, so if you don't like the factory grip you can replace it...

I'd pick the 608 because of the extra capacity; 8 rounds of .357 is pretty cool :)

·
Super Moderator
35,285 Posts
I absolutely LOVE Ruger firearms, well, most of 'em. I own two auto pistols, two Blackhawks, an SP101, a Old Army (cap and ball), and a 10/22 rifle. However, especially in DA revolvers, Ruger doesn't have much variety. If one of their models meets your needs, great, but I have a few Taurus revolvers like a 17 ounce .38 M85SSUL that Ruger just simply doesn't make an equivalent for. My 66s are both lighter than the GP100 by a good bit, though not as strong a design, but strong enough for me. The trackers are fantastic carry pieces. I mean, if Taurus doesn't make it, you don't really need it. LOL! And, they do make some of the slickest DA actions around, especially on the little small frame 5 shooters.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the welcoming into the forum and for each of the replies to my query.

Quiks draw, it was really nice of you to compile those links for me and I thank you for it. I read them all and think that I am almost ready for the test. However, rather than to come across as a bit cocky, I'd better do a little more study. ;D

Gray_Wolf, you are right -- 8 rounds of .357 is indeed cool!

I don't own any long-barreled revolvers. I've been thinking that whatever revolver I buy this time should be one that I can also use for CC. (I'm currently carrying an SP-101 most of the time.) But as I've looked at the information available online, maybe this is the time for me to go with a longer-barreled piece, so that I can really concentrate on accurate shooting at the range, and forget the CC capability. I definitely like the cool ribbed "look" of the longer barrels... Yes, I do indeed have some more study to do... :D

Amistad

·
32,661 Posts
We are glad to have you with us.... and answering queries is what were in part here for.

If you take a look around and do a search you'll see there's a bunch of us Ruger aficianados at this forum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts