Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a call from my grandmother today to come get one of my dad's old guns she had forgotten about. My dad passed in 2004 and I have never seen or heard of this gun before today. I have his other 2 already. Apparently he left at my grandparents house when he was sent on a deployment and never picked it back up. It's a Mossberg 385ka. A bolt action, 20ga shotgun with a detachable mag and a c lect a choke. I'm not sure how old it is. But it's tight, just a few dings and scratches on the wood, bluing is super nice. Needless to say. I'm really happy to have it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,922 Posts
Wow! That's cool and it looks great!

Reactions: Raptorboy69

·
Registered
5,480 Posts
My Dad had one also. It was not a Mossberg, I think it was sold at a Western Auto...Revelation? Only difference was his had an almost black wood stock. It was the first gun I hunted with. I wish I had not been so slow on the trigger when he asked me if I wanted his guns. At the time I was not into those Savage 99 .308s and Browning .270 semi autos, nor his Mossberg .410 pump or the bolt 20 ga.

Want to see the bruise on my hindsight? It aint pretty.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The fact that I have all three of his guns. Is pretty cool. When I asked my mom today, she said "Oh yea, I forgot about that one" wish they told me about it years ago. But I'm glad it was at least stored in a dry place. No rust or pitting thank god.

Reactions: Sekol

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Very cool - I'll be honest - I didn't know that 'bolt action shotgun' was a thing, though there's no reason for it not to be one.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
My old hunting buddy from when I lived in the U.P. of Michigan back in the 70's had one of those. He shot a lot of squirrels and rabbits with that gun, and even took a white tail with it. (Same guy that stepped on the bear!) Good old gun. With a little practice you can work the bolt as fast as you can work a pump gun. Nice that it belonged to your Dad.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hitting skeet doubles with a bolt action will be quite the truck. Yes, I'm going to try. I hit doubles withy pumps no prob.

·
Registered
34,137 Posts
It's all in the rhythm! Get that first target right out of the house and you'll have time to cycle and shoot the second.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
That is sweet!

I have to tell you. Last Friday I was at the range and there was a young couple there with, to me anyway, looked like the same exact gun! I had never seen a bolt action shotgun before and talked to them a bit.

·
Registered
14,797 Posts
My dad had the same shotgun but in 16ga. It was the same one I almost shot my brother with when I was a young lad due to negligence. The Bolt actions have about the same kick as a single shot so be ready for it. I think the one my dad had was made in the late 50's, early 60's. it's currently residing with my Brother in law. He takes it out once or twice a year to make sure everything is still running right.
I've already got him stockpiling his empty shells for it. You adjust the choke by screwing it in or out. I think it's 1 turn per change.

·
22,300 Posts
DSC01186.JPG Treasure it!

·
8,535 Posts
I restored one of those earlier this year, Really just a lot of cleaning - some rust work, and some finish work on the stock. There are still a few mags available off the interweb. But the mag this one had , once cleaned and lubed worked great. You will love shooting this rifle. It is a soft shooting , accurate firestick. Enjoy it!

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I have a 410 that looks very similar to that one (muzzle choke and all). No detachable mag, but it will hold 4+1 rounds.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks all. I'm very happy to have the old Mossy home. While trying to put a timeline together with my mother tonight. I have learned that dad "aquired" it sometime after returning from Vietnam in 69. He hunted Phasant and ducks mostly. He most likely stashed it at Grams when the Navy sent us all to Virginia in 79.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts