Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Out to the range today to try out my wife's new 380 acp revolver. This was a brand new gun just picked up at the Plant City Fl. gun show this passed weekend. First 5 shots were ok. Then the trouble started. Hard to pull the trigger, light strikes to the primers. Then you fire two shots and the next three light strikes. This went on tru the 50 rounds fired. Took the light strike rounds and fired them in my Sig P230. Grinding of the trigger on every load of the five shots. Some would fire on the second pull some would not fire on five rounds loaded. Here we go back for repair if i ever get tru to them on the phone (You are caller number ten)....................................:(

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ouch...:(

·
Registered
46 Posts
AVG, get it back to taurus, they will make everything right. I just had my 380 for a few days, the rear sights became loose, stayed on the line with taurus it will come back in a few wks fixed. I must say she a pretty nice pistol in SS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is an update on this Taerus 380 revolver 380 acp sent out for repair with light strikes to the primers . Today it came back from the repair in record time. They said they replaced the hammer. We will see this Friday. Will go down to the range with the wife to see if all is well. This is her carry gun. Loaded up 12 moon clips for her tonight so she won't have to mess with them at the range.

·
Premium Member
5,350 Posts
Not trying to be an ass, but did you clean it before you took it to the
range? I have a friend who I just talked into buying a Taurus, called me last night and said
the gun was crap, wouldn't fire all rounds( Tracker 41 mag) asked him if he cleaned it, NOPE!
I cleaned it real good today and what do you know, fired every time!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update
Went to the range today and put 54 rounds tru this 380 revolver. They all worked great. They say (Taurus) replaced worn hammer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought my Taurus .380 a few months back and just got around to shooting it today. I had 3-4 misfires, but I admit I had not cleaned the gun prior to taking it out to shoot. (re; previous comments)
The gun would not cycle and fire using the star clips provided from Taurus, and that came with the gun. I removed the clips and the gun fired fine. I'm not sure what I should expect, but firing at a target from 45 yards, and then
30 yards, all shots were quite high. I finally found some accuracy at 15 yards. I believe between being an inexperienced shooter and the 11 pound (I believe) trigger pull of this piece, that perhaps this may explain the extremely
high shots, which were consistent. I bought this piece thinking it could be a nice gun for my wife, but she can barely cycle it due to the heavy trigger. I guess she will get my 637 S&W and I will keep the Taurus for my CC piece.
Unless someone out there thinks differently, I think I will dry fire the Taurus a bunch and see if it becomes a little easier to cycle. I am not sure what to think about the star clips, but they were just a convenience anyway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
We had no problem with the moon clips at all. Five came with the gun and i bought ten more from Taurus. They all worked. I cleaned the gun before we went to the range. I also lubed up the trigger and also the hammer. It made the trigger work better. As for the repair i don't know what they did. It states they replaced the hammer that it was worn. The gun with this short barrel is for close work only..............

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ah....perhaps there is my problem. I was using star clips instead of moon clips. (joking) With the clip in place my pistol would not cycle at all. It seemed that there was no clearance between the wheel and frame. I have only the
five clips that came with the gun which was bought new. As I said, once I loaded with individual rounds, less a star or moon clip, the gun performed fine.
I posted here because I have seen a bit of conversation on this subject. I wanted to make sure this wasn't just ignorance on my part. I have read where some have had a similar experience, and even one person made the
statement that their .380 would cycle rounds ONLY using the clips. I couldn't begin to explain that unless they were experiencing light hits if the shell were seated a little deeper in the chamber.
All in all, I like this little gun, and while the trigger pressure may improve with use, the length of travel for the trigger will not change. I guess that comes with the territory when you buy a single action.
I have to use the first finger joint, as opposed to finger tip, to cycle this gun, due to the length of pull required. Any comment on this by others?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts