Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A little over a year ago, while looking for a small ccw piece at a lgs, I came across the then new SR9c Ruger. I liked the size, if not the caliber, of this pistol. While looking further, the girl behind the counter showed me the LCP, which had possibilities as a summer time carry. She then showed me the PT145, which I wasn't familiar with and I was amazed at the size and the fact it was chambered for my favorite caliber. I bought the Taurus a few days later and added the LCP the next month. The PT145 has worked so well that it is my primary carry almost all the time. I even bought an OSS in 45 a few month later because of how impressed I was with the quality and value of the first Taurus pistol. I have a couple dozen pistols and wheelguns, mostly full size, and didn't need another pistol but couldn't stop myself. I picked up the SR9c last week.

I'm going to post a few pic's just in case someones thinking about buying one or the other but haven't compared them side by side. IMO, no one would really need both since they are so close in size. The Ruger fits into my Hume JIT, but is a tiny bit too small for a snug fit. With the standard magazines, both guns are about the same width and height, with the Ruger being a little longer due to the 3.5 barrel. I believe the Taurus is lighter, that is until you load the mags, then the ten 45's weigh more that the equivalent number of 9mm's.

I haven't made it out to shoot the Ruger, so I can't compare it to the PT145, but the Taurus is a great shooting little gun out to 15 yds. I don't shoot it at further distances, I reserve that for my full sized guns.

One reason I suppose to go with the Ruger would be the cost of ammo, 9mm is a little cheaper. Since I reload both calibers, that doesn't affect me as much. And you could buy a few boxes of 45 for the price difference between the two pistols. I paid $355.00 plus for the PT145, but have seen them since for $299. The SR9c's are running between $360.00 and $410.00, the former being what I paid before taxes.

If you're on the fence about either of these two I would suggest trying to shoot both before buying. That would possible be the bigger difference between them.

Attachments

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Thanks for your most informative post and for the great comparison pics.:thumb:

·
Registered
432 Posts
I went to a LGS in Sandusky today and they had both those guns, but I went in looking for the Ruger P5 and the Taurus PT809. I saw the SR9 for about the same price as the PT145, but the SR9 has a 4.2" barrel which I like, but its way heavier than any of the Taurus' I held I finally got my hands on that 809 and it felt great but when I held the P95 and the 809 and compared them side by side there was such a difference that I couldn't decide which was better. So I went a bit smaller and looked at the SR9C and the PT111 and as you said it was the same as your comparison pictures the barrel was slightly longer and the grip was a totally different feel... I am more on the fence about the Taurus' then I am about the Ruger's both are very high quality for the price range, but to be honest this is probably one of the hardest decisions I have ever tried to make but at least I narrowed it down to 4 models instead of the 10 I had on my list to try out. I tell you being in a bigger gun store that had like 800 guns to choose from was pretty hard to stay focused. I tried the Kel-Tec ones and didn't like them at all, tried the S&W Sigma and the SD series, I tried some revolvers as well and just couldn't find a revolver that fit me right so I have ruled out revolvers all together. I even tried those little SCCY ones and they look cheap, and from what I have read they don't have much of a record, I mean there aren't that many reviews on them. I really liked the grip on the Sig 220 and Sig 239 I tried but they were heavy as well and it felt kinda clumsy IMO( I couldn't afford the Sig anyway, But why pay $700 for a gun that isn't designed any better then the $300 ones?) I guess I will have to wait till I can get to a range that rents so I can test each one out and make a decision based on "performance" and not "look and feel". But as I said so far I feel like the Ruger just seems to fit me better.

·
32,533 Posts
The Ruger P95 is a tried and true design. Own 2 of those.

The SR9c is an excellent pick and can take the SR9,-17 shot magazines. Got one of each.

And the PT111 Mil Pro is an excellent pick also. Just got done going to Buds Gun Shop and buying one off them. $322 dollars, but with shipping included. Shipping is never "free". It is worked into the purchase price. :)

The Ruger SR9 or C model and the PT111 Mil Pro are easier for a short person with small hands, and short fingers to hide and carry all day.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The Ruger P95 is a tried and true design. Own 2 of those.

The SR9c is an excellent pick and can take the SR9,-17 shot magazines. Got one of each.

And the PT111 Mil Pro is an excellent pick also. Just got done going to Buds Gun Shop and buying one off them. $322 dollars, but with shipping included. Shipping is never "free". It is worked into the purchase price. :)

The Ruger SR9 or C model and the PT111 Mil Pro are easier for a short person with small hands, and short fingers to hide and carry all day.
Well I am 6' 285 and I wear a mediumish-large size glove. I also have pretty muscular forearms and hands, so I feel like I could handle recoil.. But its been a while since I fired anything. I dunno like I said its one of the toughest decisions I have had in a long time...

·
32,533 Posts
I'm the opposite. 5'8" but the weight is 30 pounds down from yours. :)

It seems like the Rugers might fit you a bit better. The 24/7 pistols would fit your hands better than a PT111.

The 809 should be an almost perfect fit.

Just me talking here. It seems like the Rugers and the Taurus 809 should be looked at first. Then go with the 24/7 or PT111.

The Ruger 95 and SR9, the Taurus 809 should work well with winter gloves on.

Can't say about the PT111 and gloves. At least for larger hands.

Gloves and the PT111 work for me, but this winter light gloves were all that was needed. My hands are small so no trouble.

·
32,533 Posts
A good used SIG could not hurt. I own 3 SIG 225s.
A SIG 228,229 or a 226 might fill the bill.

Thos SIGs come used from the factory and refurbished if needed. They come with a wrapper around them saying so.The LGS should be able to assist.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Well most of the time I wear the knuckle length rock climbing gloves because I don't like having my fingertips totally covered because 3 of my finger tips have no feeling if I cover them for some reason, so I keep them bare so I can feel and grip better.. Not that I don't have an "iron" grip, just I would rather feel stuff..lol and your right so far the Rugers and the other Taurus' I tried fit so good, that 809 was a pretty impressive fit, but that Ruger P95 is still stuck in my head.. because I felt like the P95 grip was a little more comfortable even tho the gun was a little heavier and the same with the SR9....

·
Registered
432 Posts
A good used SIG could not hurt. I own 3 SIG 225s.
A SIG 228,229 or a 226 might fill the bill.

Thos SIGs come used from the factory and refurbished if needed. They come with a wrapper around them saying so.The LGS should be able to assist.
he didn't say anything about saving anything on the Sigs, I guess they aren't trained to help a guy on a budget..lol

·
Registered
432 Posts
Ok so the guy had some really good deals and the largest selection I have seen so far, but he is a 40 min drive to another town.. I also cannot test the weapons there, so would it be worth going back and asking him some more questions? Or just going to the range and renting a few?

·
32,533 Posts
Just pull him over the counter and slap the heck out of them. Just kidding.

The SIG 225s came from online though. I just know about the SIG program because a few years back SIG wanted to make the money on turn ins and not have someone elsedo that with their product.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have the Ruger P95, and the SR40, and the Taurus PT145. Accuracy from further than 15 Yards and beyond the Ruger P95 wins hands doown. Conceal Carry and stopping power and accuracy from 15 yards in, The PT145 is my Conceal Carry of choice. Low recoil from such a little gun and large caliber, easy to shoot (like the P95 and SR40). Go to the range and shoot them, that's where you will find out for sure. I bought a Kel Tec PF9, and it just wasn't for me, doidn't like it at all (though it may be fine for others (I'm 5'10", 147 lbs) Love all three , going to the range and trying out my new Ruger P345 today. I'll shoot the Taurus too as I really like shooting it and since it's my primary Conceal Carry Weapon, I need to practice with it as much as possible. 9MM, 45 Cal. if your carrying Hollow points, either will do the trick,if needed in a S.D. moment

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I carry either the PT145 or the 24/7 C .45 IWB and the SR9c in pocket (can't pocket carry the PT145 because it's much thicker than the SR9c). Now I'm considering buying a TCP for summer time. Even the SR9c is a little too big for pocket carry.

·
32,533 Posts
I've been using my 732 in it's hide away holster to answer door knocks at O'dark thirty at night or early dark morning.

The mild winter makes needing something to go through many layers of clothing insignificant so far.

With the temps about to go down in a couple of days the Bulgarian Maks will get used for that.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
Just a note for whoever took this picture - it's not a good idea to point a loaded firearm at yourself. Do yourself a favor and clear it before you start taking pictures. It lowers the oops factor significantly.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oops

I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to catch that. I just pulled it out of the holster and snapped the pictures. Although my fingers stayed out of the trigger guard and the safety was on, it's always a good idea to never point a loaded gun at anything you don't want to shoot.

·
Registered
12,331 Posts
I wondered how long it was going to take for someone to catch that.
Took about ten seconds - it was the first thing I noticed when I started reading this thread. Safety rule number one has saved my butt on more than one occasion, and it's one rule I don't violate. Always keep it pointed in a safe direction - even when you know it's empty. It's a habit that needs to be scrupulously followed, because it's that split second when your fingers do something that they're not supposed to that'll get you. And it happens fast, and definitively. Nuff said.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts