Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all on here who have prayed and supported me since I announced that I was among the unemployed.

I have enrolled in Truck Driving school and will start next Monday the 16th. I am hoping to get into a regional job probably with the oil field industry. If I have to go OTR to gain experience I will be OK with that as well.

My other plans are to start taking some correspondence courses in gunsmithing and maybe turn a hobby into a career some time in the future. Obviously OTR will hinder this which is why I am hoping for something more regional and maybe have some regular days off.

In my old job I often joked that if I wasn't doing that I'd probably be driving a truck for a living.

Again thanks to all on TA for your prayers and support.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
May the roads ahead of you be paved with safety and may all the financial needs of you and your family be supplied through your new job!

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I know I'm not cut out to be a truck driver 'cause I gotta stop and pee too often, I hope your bladder is up to the challange.........

Hick with jug.gif

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
Reactions: Shinsou

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Man, I hope things work out wonderfully for you, sorry your in this mess to begin with, but with God's help Im sure you will come out smelling like a rose....God Bless!!

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Short haul runs are really nice as usually you are home nearly every night and most week-ends. Then again many of the new trucks ride like a luxury vehicle compared to those of years gone by.

Remember to keep your eye on the fuel gauge!!! I had a good friend who drove short hauld peddle runs and he ran out of fuel several times. He even managed to run out of gas in his VW Bug one time and it had a reserve tank on it. I never let him live that one down!!!!

·
Registered
29,757 Posts
Good luck on the new career!

·
Registered
7,241 Posts
Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

·
Super Moderator
26,924 Posts
All the very best and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Registered
31,777 Posts
My daughter is the book keeper and payroll clerk for Musselwhite Trucking in the West Texas area and they have 13 yards and are always hiring drivers. Look at a map and about every town from Pecos North and Midland West up to Levelland has a yard. They are an oil trucking company with tank trucks for hot oil, flatbeds for equipment, Frack sand haulers, Hot Shot hauling, Winch trucks, trucks to handle about anything needed in the oil patch, most work is local 8 hour days.

When you get your CDL, let me know and we can get you on up here. Their home office is in Levelland which is a good family town just 28 miles west of Lubbock.

Reactions: Sarge and Shinsou

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
16,283 Posts
Good luck on your new career.

Gunsmithing. Funny you should mention that.
Being out of work myself, I thought about that also.
Turns out there is a college up in Eastern North Carolina has a gunsmithing course.
I think I will investigate.

·
Super Moderator
35,741 Posts
Congratulations on the decision for a new career path (paths). Having changed careers about 4 times so far I find it is an energizing process!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Congrats man!!! Hell if you ever get up around Central Pa and have some time, look me up and we'll goto the range!!

·
21,951 Posts
I hear trucking companies advertising on XM radio all the time. I think you will be able
to find a job quickly after you get trained.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Both careers ought to provide an income and a source of personal satisfaction. I live out in the sticks and a lot of the fellows around here drive trucks, they seem quite happy with their line of work. Real gunsmiths, school trained, are few and far between anymore. The only one I know for some distance died a month ago and I suspect there will no one that will probably take his place.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts