Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got around to buying a light for my 24/7 Pro 45acp. It's a TLR-1 by Streamlight. I opted for no laser, because frankly I'd rather have tritium night sights and I'll be buying some of those at some point.

I still don't think I'd go clear my house with this light on, because I still think it would make me a sitting duck - but I can definitely see the redeeming value in many tactical situations that could demand this type of accessory.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
Sweet! I'm looking for something similar for my 92, though I'm looking for the light laser combo. That does look pretty slick though! Good pics.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Good pics. Nice looking weapon.

·
Registered
123 Posts
nice, and good choice in ammo too :) I've never had one of their rounds fail to fire... i need to check into if they make defense rounds.

i'm kind of leary about putting a light on a weapon still. It's hard enough to find holsters for the 24/7... let alone finding one that lets you use a light.

looks good though...

Is that an after market grip? if so where from and how much?

shame on you for having the safety off :)

·
Super Moderator
21,892 Posts
The 24/7 in 9mm is my next buy in the compact model. I searched the gun show yesterday and finally found one at the last table I went to. It was over priced and I already spent a bunch of money oh well next time. :) I think I'm going to get one in full size in 45 to add to my PT1911

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took the safety off, Jedi, just to give it an edgy look..... ;)

That is a Hogue slip-on grip that I had to trim a bit on the back so it would lay down over that ergonomic hump. I think it cost me $10.

This gun's home is a double-decker gun safe, so that is where it will be most of the time. If I do carry it on my IWB, I'll have to ace the light.

Let us know what you find out about the CCI defense ammo, I like the brand too. :)

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, one last thing - besides maybe my big mag-lite, this is easily the brightest, most luminescent light in my house. It seems to focus the beam for a very long way - not sure how it does that, but it sure does.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D

There was a guy over on thefiringline.com a while back and he had a beautiful revolver - and for the pics, he had the thing cocked back to SA. And, you could see the hollowpoints inside the cylinders. It made me a bit nervous just to look at the pics.

·
Registered
959 Posts
~Vary Nice Light and Gun Combo texastaurusguy~

texastaurusguy,... BG must look away from Blinding Professional Grade, increasing your safety... Not so with Consumer Grade...

~Gun lluminators~
The only thing one needs to keep in mind when Buying one of these Gun lights, is that one is a Consumer Grade 80 Lumens Flash Light, and one is a Professional Mil-l Spec. 125 Lumens Weapons Grade Light...
A light with 125 Lumens or Higher is considered a Tactical Weapon (a BG cannot look at it without seeing spots, even in daylight)(plus the M6X light can be focused to a Spot or Flood light depending on the needs of the situation)
~PIC~
http://members.aol.com/normtrudeau2/mosquito/2mosquito.jpg

StreamLight TLR-2 (Consumer Grade 80 Lumens)
http://www.rusticsportsman.com/servlet/the-86301/TLR-dsh-2-w-fdsh-Laser-Weapons-Mtd/Detail

INSIGHT TECHNOLOGY M6X LASER (Professional Mil-Spec. Grade 125 Lumens)
http://personalsecurityzone.com/cgi.../PSZ/?Template=ProdDetail.htm&ProductID=19332

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, thats a great point Sarge. I think mine is only an 80 lumens......but it will have to do.

·
Registered
123 Posts
You guys ever get worried about a flashlight like that mounted to your gun giving away your position too readily? That always comes to mind for me which is why i would generally go with a laser over a light. A laser tends to not be AS notifiable as a light imo.

Good article here: http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/557/sesent/00

I prefer the FBI technique as outlined here.

·
Administrator
35,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've been on record in this forum as somebody who worries about exactly that. I do, however, see some tactical situations where this could come in handy......thats why I bought it. Maybe I should have held out for something brighter, but this will fill a niche nicely. Personally, I'm not real crazy about the thought of clearing my house - I'd rather get the kids and wife in the master bedroom, and then shoot the SOB that comes through my door. With somebody on the cell phone with 911, to be sure I don't shoot a cop, of course.

·
Registered
123 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
I've been on record in this forum as somebody who worries about exactly that. I do, however, see some tactical situations where this could come in handy......thats why I bought it. Maybe I should have held out for something brighter, but this will fill a niche nicely. Personally, I'm not real crazy about the thought of clearing my house - I'd rather get the kids and wife in the master bedroom, and then shoot the SOB that comes through my door. With somebody on the cell phone with 911, to be sure I don't shoot a cop, of course.
true that... the light is +10 to pimp factor too. 's why i put one on my shotty :)

sorry for the gangsta... listening to Fantastic Voyage atm...

you can't help me if you can't help yoself...

you better make a left....

i digress.

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's why they have instant-on option for surprise, and the newer ones also have Pulse... You don't show your hand until you have a Target (BG) and are going to make him Dead... Yes a Guarded Retreat is always the best option if you can...

·
Registered
123 Posts
SgtKnuckles said:
That's why they have instant-on option for surprise, and the newer ones also have Pulse... You don't show your hand until you have a Target (BG) and are going to make him Dead... Yes a Guarded Retreat is always the best option if you can...
Ya, a pulsing option would be very good.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts