Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticing a new or reoccurring shift in the popularity of RV size. Seems the trend is or has moved to smaller sized travel trailers. This looks to run across all age brackets as the movement grows.

These owners of the smaller travel trailers seem to enjoy the ability to move about more freely with less setup and take down time when stopping for over night travel. I have found out that many of these owners seem to be more private in keeping to themselves. Where as the owners of the larger RVs are more open to meeting strangers, returning a wave, or assisting other RV'ers who may need a hand.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Noticing a new or reoccurring shift in the popularity of RV size. Seems the trend is or has moved to smaller sized travel trailers. This looks to run across all age brackets as the movement grows.

These owners of the smaller travel trailers seem to enjoy the ability to move about more freely with less setup and take down time when stopping for over night travel. I have found out that many of these owners seem to be more private in keeping to themselves. Where as the owners of the larger RVs are more open to meeting strangers, returning a wave, or assisting other RV'ers who may need a hand.
We have a big one. It really doesn't take any longer to set it up or take it down. Maybe less because it auto-levels in about a minute. Has a built in power operated electrical cord. Where it's a disadvantage is you can't get it into some places. Just too big. When we go to a National Forest and often there's only a few spaces that would accommodate us. Sometimes none. Since most of those are first-come first-served it's dicey.

Given it's power requirements boondocking would be difficult.

·
Super Moderator
35,071 Posts
Well, my RV is 18 feet and, yeah, I'm quite anti-social toward strangers. Hard to wave when your hand is in your pocket gripping your .38. But, we don't really travel with the travel trailer, just take short fishing trips or use it to go to our other place to hunt or something.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know back when we purchased our first diesel pusher I felt shunned by those who owned smaller RV's, yet too young to feel at ease around those who owned large pusher motorhomes. Found out that those with the smaller RV simply thought we were going to be snobbish to approach. So I turned things around and approached them. They welcomed me with some surprise and requested to tour the coach.
I do miss the ability to fit into many of the state parks due to size. We drove though Palo Dura Canyon the other day. It was a beautiful as ever, albeit very wet and muddy. The sign at the top entrance read "All RV Sites either reserved or occupied". I think that there a few that would hold our rig which would be nice. However, that steep hair pin road going down into the canyon wouldn't excite me enough to give it a try.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I think the Diesel pushers are interesting. If I was driving a semi would need a special license, a CDL. If i was driving a school bus, same thing. If i am 80 and driving a diesel pusher towing a Camry what do i need? I'm afraid it is just a normal license.

·
Registered
13,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Diesel pushers are interesting. If I was driving a semi would need a special license, a CDL. If i was driving a school bus, same thing. If i am 80 and driving a diesel pusher towing a Camry what do i need? I'm afraid it is just a normal license.
This really depends on the state in which you are licensed. Such as in Texas it the motorhome is over 26,001 pounds you are required to have a Class A drivers license. If you are towing a trailer of any kind and the gross combined weight is over 26,001 pounds then you are required to have a Class B drivers license. Both of these Class A and B license are not CDL license, just a variation of meeting weight restrictions as to single or combined weight. Interesting is that for the Class A and B license you do not need to have air brake endorsements even if equipped with air brakes.

Other states will have different requirements and laws.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I don't know where you live but if you're in Texas you probably need a Class "B" license for something that big with or without the tow.

We have a Super "C" and enjoy all the conveniences that come along with it, especially on long trips. When the time comes that we get too old and feeble for long trips we'll downsize to something smaller for week-end trips to State Parks and the like. Two people and two dogs being stuck in a small RV for a couple of days because of bad weather can strain the best of relationships … or so I've been told. In all the years we have been RVing I've never found anybody to be standoffish. They've all been very friendly and helpful irrespective of the size of their unit.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Interesting thread, and timely. My wife and I just returned from a round trip vacation last week, driving Albuquerque-Estes Park-Albuquerque. We took my '97 Chevy K1500 half-ton and stayed in hotels for the trip. We are seriously considering whether or not to buy a smaller RV trailer. The pickup is rated to tow a maximum of 5,000 pounds, so I'm going to be looking to see what's available.

·
Registered
3,812 Posts
For my wife and I smaller makes a lot of sense, because if we're going to travel in or with an RV or trailer, it's not like we are going to spend a lot of time at some RV campground next to hundreds of other people just to get away from home. We already live out in the country anyway. We just want to go to new places and see new things, like a rolling stone. The most we'd be staying someplace is probably a week and that's only if there is plenty to see and do in the local area away from the campground. Like for example if we were going to ride my MC in SD or Daytona or Key west, or Tenn. etc. The RV or trailer would just be a place to eat and sleep in and use the bathroom. We went to Key west once and stayed at a great campground using a class B camper van, for example. If we get a trailer trailer it will be a small toy hauler that is lightweight and easy to pull. Something with one queen size bed up front, separate frig and freezer, full bathroom with separate shower, separate dining area, designed mainly for two people or maybe 2 adults and one smaller kid. Also with an empty weight less than 5600 lbs. for easier towing. Even better, less than 4000 lbs. Something like this for example:

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
While traveling, I've noticed that people who stay in the regular sized hotel rooms are more friendly and chatty than people who stay in suites. I just see RV's as money pits and obstacles to pass on the highway. I'll never be able to spend enough on hotels to justify the cost of an RV.

To each his own!

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
This really depends on the state in which you are licensed. Such as in Texas it the motorhome is over 26,001 pounds you are required to have a Class A drivers license. If you are towing a trailer of any kind and the gross combined weight is over 26,001 pounds then you are required to have a Class B drivers license. Both of these Class A and B license are not CDL license, just a variation of meeting weight restrictions as to single or combined weight. Interesting is that for the Class A and B license you do not need to have air brake endorsements even if equipped with air brakes.

Other states will have different requirements and laws.
Technicalities and clarifications....it's A for the trailers and B for the motorcoach. And it's not the actual weight, it's determined by the Gross Combined Weight Rating being over 26,000# pounds. My rigs actual weight is almost 25,000# combined as it is loaded, but the the max combined weight is over 26,000#, it's like 28,000.

But most states don't have this requirement. It's kind of good and kind of bad. Having to go take a written and road test makes people want to avoid it. Which I could have squeeked under it if I bought a lesser truck. But the dually threw it over. But towing a 16,000# + trailer you need a dually even if on paper I could have gotten away with a SRW. But without the DRW I'm not sure whether I'd be towing, or being pushed.

Wasn't a big deal, they aren't as hard on you as they are commercial drivers. I went to a little out-of-the-way DPS office and they were very accomodating. If you get one of the Barney Fifes at the big "DPS Service Centers" in the major cities I hear you get a different experience.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
While traveling, I've noticed that people who stay in the regular sized hotel rooms are more friendly and chatty than people who stay in suites. I just see RV's as money pits and obstacles to pass on the highway. I'll never be able to spend enough on hotels to justify the cost of an RV.

To each his own!
We live in ours full time now. That wasn't the plan at first but that's the way it worked out. We've moved a lot over the last six years and were planning on getting used to the RV and then take off .... when the wife decided she wanted to keep working, and a friend offered her a job that was in another place, and probably wasn't going to last too long. It didn't because she ran into another one when she was doing that one. She's doing both at the moment (they are related and overlap) but transitioning from one to the other.

Now it's great being flexible to go wherever, whenever and not worrying about having to move yet again. When she decides she doesn't want to do it anymore we can be anywhere in the U.S. in a week.

It's got a king size bed and a washer dryer. It's basically a one bedroom apartment on wheels. The trailer was expensive, but the lot rent is cheap enough and all the utilities / cable are included for the $450 / month. Plus I pay like $60 / month for better internet.

If you buy one don't buy a new one like we did. Unless you're picky. They depreciate like crazy and there's lots of 2-3 year old ones that are barely used for 30%-40% off sale prices.

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
Where can a person find a nice pre-owned RV trailer, and what kind of original owner should one look for?

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Pfffffffft!.... You, antisocial, I don't believe it! Now having a low threshold for dealing with stupid people, I believe! :D

Maloy

Well, my RV is 18 feet and, yeah, I'm quite anti-social toward strangers. Hard to wave when your hand is in your pocket gripping your .38. But, we don't really travel with the travel trailer, just take short fishing trips or use it to go to our other place to hunt or something.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
I've been looking at travel trailers for when I retire. I'm also looking at downsizing to a micro home as well. I just want enough room for a few guns and a good dog.

Maloy

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Where can a person find a nice pre-owned RV trailer, and what kind of original owner should one look for?
rvtrader.com..facebook marketplace....craigslist.... They have inspectors for them, same as houses, use one. Or use an RV dealer for the inspection and/or purchase. Your looking for one that's been used some, but not a lot.

Every RV has problems. It's very common even for good brands. They show up as they are used so you want it used some. Bought new and put straight into storage is not necessarily a good idea. It will have the normal problems but the warranty has expired. Plan on doing some short shake-down trips to work out the kinks. Hopefully the previous owner used it enough to do that for you. Just watch out for water damage. Look at the roof closely. But the inspector will do that.

·
Registered
14,728 Posts
My dream has been to win the lottery and get one of those RVs built on a semi tractor chassis. I would want that so that I could haul a trailer for my car, motorcycle and side by side.

It would have the strength to easily handle that.

Then, my wife and I could travel the country staying in different areas with time to explore.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
My dream is to have enough time to enjoy the little RV we have- nothing fancy but a perfect get away size for my wife and I and our two Cocker Spaniels. Fits in any campsite we choose and tows behind the Silverado like it's not there.

P1000389.jpg

Picture taken at Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine Beach, Florida.

·
Registered
18,802 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,819 Posts
My dream is to have enough time to enjoy the little RV we have- nothing fancy but a perfect get away size for my wife and I and our two Cocker Spaniels. Fits in any campsite we choose and tows behind the Silverado like it's not there.

View attachment 448601

Picture taken at Anastasia State Park, St. Augustine Beach, Florida.
Nice picture, but where are the mountains?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts