Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a standard Henry lever action 9 years ago from Walmart for $297 (has gone down to $289). I promised it to my grandson two or three years ago if he would work hard and become an Eagle Scout. He has now completed the requirements and I am having second thoughts about giving it to him and not having one. To solve that problem, I have bought a Henry Golden Boy to give to him instead. It's much nicer and it is easily the most attractive rifle I have ever shot. I also got it at Walmart for $399. I'm going to give him a choice between them but I fully expect him to choose the Golden Boy.

He is a unique kid and I read an article about him this morning. It's interesting, at least to me, https://ebird.org/atlasva/news/the-high-points-of-southwest-virginia

·
Supporting Moderator
14,823 Posts
Excellent read! Maybe the Henry should be just a start. :D

Thank You for Sharing!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent read! Maybe the Henry should be just a start. :D

Thank You for Sharing!
He already has a Rough Rider his Dad gave him, a JC Higgins 12 gauge pump I gave him that was made in my birth year of 1947 and a Henry AR-7 Survival rifle he bought himself. Just before he died, his other grandfather gave me a like new Single Six he bought in the early 90s that had less than a box of ammo through it. I tried to buy it about 10 years ago but he wouldn't sell it even though he couldn't shoot it with his arthritis. He knew it would someday go to our grandson and he would have a gun to remember both of his grandparents.

·
Super Moderator
40,391 Posts
Thanks for sharing the article. Nice read. I bet he picks the Golden Boy as well. Doesn't Henry make an Eagle Scout model?

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
The article was a wonderful read. Thanks.

I think it's a good idea to let him choose which rifle he would prefer. And here's my prediction on his choice. I think he will see the true "value" in receiving Grandpa's rifle over the shiny new one. Besides you 2 can go shooting together you can swap rifles now and then.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing the article. Nice read. I bet he picks the Golden Boy as well. Doesn't Henry make an Eagle Scout model?
Yes they do. However, the price is more than double the price of a Golden Boy and they are rare and hard to find.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The article was a wonderful read. Thanks.

I think it's a good idea to let him choose which rifle he would prefer. And here's my prediction on his choice. I think he will see the true "value" in receiving Grandpa's rifle over the shiny new one. Besides you 2 can go shooting together you can swap rifles now and then.
I think he will probably choose the Golden Boy because he knows he is going to get mine and the rest I have someday. My other grandchildren are girls and they have no interest.

·
Registered
13,853 Posts
Very nice article.

Back when I started buying my grandkids their first 22 rife someone here on the forum much smarter and wiser than I shared a great idea. Have a small metal plate made with "From Grand Pa" engraved on it and affix it to the stock. Or any great wise words of wisdom that you care to pass along engraved on the plate.

The only other thought that I will pass along is for you to make the choice as to which Henry that you give him. Don't put him in a spot of trying to figure out which is going to make you the happier.

·
Banned
4,206 Posts
Nice memento for what sounds like a great kid! He'll cherish it all his life. When he is old and gray and perhaps has a son looking to aspire to Eagle Scout he might offer it as a motivator. Great family heirloom.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The only other thought that I will pass along is for you to make the choice as to which Henry that you give him. Don't put him in a spot of trying to figure out which is going to make you the happier.
I thought about it and decided to take a little different approach. I am going to tell him that I promised him my Henry rifle years ago as a reward for becoming an Eagle Scout but I have since realized that I wanted to have a Henry. Therefore, I bought another so we would both have a Henry rifle. I will then let him choose. I showed both of the guns together to his grandmother and aunt and they think it's a no-brainer and he will pick the Golden Boy. Should he choose my old one (that still looks brand new), I will let him know that I really wanted a Golden Boy when I got the one I did (true and Walmart didn't have a Golden Boy in stock at the time).

The kid went to the ETSU campus yesterday to look at the dorm that was assigned to him for the upcoming year. He was chosen for the Roan Scholars Leadership Program and he is the first homeschooler ever chosen for the $100,000 scholarship. He is a tall red haired kid who is comfortable in front of a camera and it seems he has become the go to person the local TV stations go to when they want to interview a Naturalist or bird expert for their newscast. https://roanscholars.org/

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
Very nice osbornk. My son purchased a Henry 22, we went out to shoot it, and I had to have one too. Mine is a Golden Boy in 45LC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts