Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently bought the Judge Public Defender, and this guy I know calls it a toy gun. :(

I'm pleased with my purchase, don't get me wrong, but his comment has got me down! Anything I can say in retort? I'm new to the Judge (it's actually my first hand-gun, my other guns are just a couple shotguns that my dad gave me way back when I was a kid that we hunted with).

Reactions: whodog

·
Administrator
35,116 Posts
Ask him if it's okay for you to shoot him with some toy 000 buckshot.

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
Ask if he wants to play Cowboys and Indians, tell him he can be the Indian.

·
10,379 Posts
Well I guess I really don't see the insult. Toys are fun and Judges are fun (and totally freakin' awesome)

I guess I'm the same way though, when I want a new firearm I talk about going and buying a new toy.

Hell, is your PD a poly gun? I know a lot of people who say the same thing about all "plastic fantastic" firearms.

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
By the way, Tonto, I recommend that you drop over to the new members' section and formerly introduce yourself to the guys and gals of TaurusArmed.net.

Reactions: Shinsou

·
Registered
5,166 Posts
Why does it matter what someone else thinks about your choice? If it really "gets you down," maybe you feel you've made the wrong choice. It's amazing what choices other people would make for you. If you're happy, it doesn't matter a tinkers damn if he isn't.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks y'all. :)

I got some crap when I bought my boat, too, there's always people I guess that are gonna say "oh you should've done this or that"... but it's my money, not theirs. :)

I will be shooting it this weekend (I live in town and my brother has a spot but his work hours don't coincide with mine), so I can't wait. :)

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
What is this idiot friend of yours shooting? Obviously it must be some kind of high powered, military grade, anti-aircraft artillery to call your Judge a toy. Or he's too busy being a mall ninja with his Glock and shiny Cracker Jack star, but it does make him an expert on toys after all.

·
Registered
5,358 Posts
Well, anyways, welcome and enjoy your new "toy"! There are a lot of "toys" running around here... Just wait til you try out that PDX1 shot shell....

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
Too bad. I don't think that anyone or anything on the receiving end of your Judge is going to laugh and say it's a toy By the way, I think that the Judge Public Defender happens to be one fine looking revolver -- more so than the other models in the series....

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Let your buddy know that I also have one of these so-called toys and love it. Is he into guns or does he have the Taurus-is-crap syndrome?

·
Banned
3,798 Posts
By the way, Tonto, I recommend that you drop over to the new members' section and formerly introduce yourself to the guys and gals of TaurusArmed.net.
Your right but I'll go ahead and say it here.
Hello from Piqua Ohio.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Welcome to the forum! Let your buddy know that I also have one of these so-called toys and love it. Is he into guns or does he have the Taurus-is-crap syndrome?
He's into guns, yeah, but I get the feeling he things that Taurus is crap. And, for the record, he's not really a friend, per se, just an acquaintance from way back :)

·
Registered
4,776 Posts
Put some buckshot load in it and shoot at the target only one time. Give the target to your friend and ask him what he carries.

Reactions: Texheim

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Ask him if you can shoot his real gun with your toy gun?

Actually let it roll off you like water off a duck.
If you are happy with your purchase do not let anyone bring you down.

Welcome from Maine.

Reactions: aquajim

·
Registered
31,697 Posts
The judge probably has more admirers and detractors than any other handgun. I'm not an admirer or detractor. I can see a use, one that I just don't have.

I also think many admirers as well as detractors also don't have an understanding of the gun.

As a forty-five Colt, I think it is anything but a toy. I did take a friend to the range who had a four inch barreled blue steel Judge. We patterned 000 buck at ten yards and the grouping was about 2 1/2" to 3" still a pretty tight pattern at ten yards, so there is no fudge factor on good aiming or pointing. I prefer one 250 grain projectile to 3,4 or five 60 grain projectiles that will flatten through impact and penetration and will not have near the penetration as the Colt Cartridge. Three .36" caliber wound channels sure, but that .45 hole just keeps going and going.

Keep in mind, if I have to be in a defensive shoot, I want to definitely end the threat, I'm not of the mind to merely dissuade someone. Birdshot in my opinion is for Birds and snakes and small furry game. Maybe 2 or 4 shot could piss off a neighborly raccoon.

If I'm going to shoot buckshot, I want at least 9 pellets and even then I will fire two loads.

I don't view the Judge as a toy at all. I see it more as a great farm or ranch handgun. .410 slugs are pretty well useless when you have the Colt caliber stacked up against it.

I feel many owners feel to comfortable with the .410 capabilities for defense. I never considered a .410 much power in a long gun.
I took a lot of rabbits with one, but no matter the hype of the special ammo, the .45 Colt is the best defensive load.

I would carry one with one round of .410 6's. Bird shot for is for birds and snakes or if I got a shot at a bunny rabbit hopping away with the remaining cylinders loaded with the .45 Colt ammo for the more serious work.

Just my opinion, and no, I won't stand in front of a .410 anything and let you shoot me with it. :)

1 - 20 of 82 Posts