Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have, and love, my full size 24/7 g2. One of the things I like about it is the ambidextrous safety. My question is this, other than the 24/7's, which models have ambidextrous safety's? I'm looking to get either a compact 9 or 40 (the new millennium pro looks good). The description for some of the pistols say they are ambidextrous but the pictures don't appear to have the safety on the right side. Anyway, if you can unconfuse me with a recommendation for a truly ambidextrous pistol, I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
15,002 Posts
I too, am a southpaw. And I'm not really as up to date on the newer models,
as some of the members here. But, I have the PT940 (.40cal), which I believe
is now discontinued.

I also have the PT101SS (.40cal). Both of these pistols have ambi safeties.
The 940 is a bit compact; but the 101SS is a full size auto.

Even though it's not the clearest of pictures, the PT940 is my avatar photo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In the same boat. I am looking for a CC, and the biggest issue is an ambi safety. My 809b is ambi, but a bit to big to pocket carry. Will be watching this one.

·
Administrator
40,258 Posts
The PT1911 has an ambidextrous safety, and it's available in 9mm.

Reactions: Wolf1477

·
Registered
292 Posts
24/7 G2C9 (9mm) compact is ambidextrous all around.

Left/right safety
Left/right de-cocker
Left/right mag release
Left/right disassembly buttons
Only thing not lefty is ejection.

That is my daily carry piece.

I'm a lefty, too!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I have been wanting to sell my PT140 for this very reason. While I like shooting it I will never carry it because of the safety.
The only other guns I have ever carried were Sig and they don't have a safety at all - I like that a lot and have never had issues. But if Taurus had a model like the Sig (possibly the one above in a .40) I would test one out.

·
Super Moderator
40,638 Posts
Not to completely change the subject, but have any of you lefties tried the Charter Arms Southpaw?

Charter Southpaw #93820

Reactions: GunsandNoses

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I recall back in the 80's I believe Randall Arms produced a SST 45 ACP called the Port Sider which was a full sized 1911 completely reversed. All of the controls were on the Right side and the ejection port was on the left, which is where they got the name Port Sider. I worked with a former Marine who bought one and he said he liked it real well. Sadly they did not remain in production all that long I don't know if there was not the market for a true Left Handed pistol or what.

I do not follow the used gun websites very much so I don't know if they ever show up or not, but getting parts for one may be a problem though.

·
Registered
10,779 Posts
My FNP in .45 has ambidextrous safeties, and slide release. I am also Left-handed. The new Ruger SR series, both full and compact, have ambi-safeties, and mag release. In Taurus, the PT series ALL have ambidextrous safeties. That's the 92/99, 100/101, 58/58HC. Ruger's P-Series semi-autos also all have ambi-safeties/decockers, and mag releases. The S&W 6906, also a compact, has ambi-safeties from the factory.

None of these, however, have left-side ejection. Falcon made the Portsider. Randall was the B-131. There is also the Cabot Southpaw. Randall Arms was run by Ron Lau, Falcon by Judy Lau.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
In Taurus, the PT series ALL have ambidextrous safeties. That's the 92/99, 100/101, 58/58HC.
The PT111 is the one I was really looking at but from the pictures it doesn't appear to have ambidextrous safety's. I may have to check out the other PT models.

·
Registered
5,151 Posts
24/7 G2C9 compact has ambi saftey my pt 1911 ss also. You can also put ambi on most compact 1911 pistols

jhp

1 - 16 of 16 Posts