Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife has been wanting a .38 Revolver, for when she gets her CCW, so the other day I picked up a Taurus 85 Ultra-lite for
her. While there, I also picked up a Ruger GP-100, 4" for myself. Yesterday morning, we packed up the car and made the 1
hour trip to one of the larger ranges around. The first good sign of a great day was the fact that it wasn't at all crowded.
The second was that, although still a limit of 1box/caliber/person, they had plenty of ammo at reasonable prices.

The Taurus shot flawlessly. I had warned my wife that being such a light frame, there might be a bit of recoil, and there was,
but nothing she couldn't handle, and she was punching nice groups through the paper in no time. The only thing she wasn't
a fan of is the stock grips, so will have to track down a set that fits her better.

The GP also shot flawlessly. I definately need to replace the stock black sights on it. Either that or get new glasses. Or both...
The only issue I had with the gun came later at home, after cleaning it, I ran into a bit of cylinder binding. It seems to have
worked itself out, but I will post in Smithing if I can't figure it out.

Third up was my EDC, the PT1911. Nothing exciting to report here. As accurate as always, as reliable as always, and as fun
as always!

The last flavor of the day was my M&P 15. I've had this gun for over 2 months and had not had the chance to break it out
before. Another flawless first showing. Because the range has a "No Steel Ammo" policy, we only put about 100rnds through
it. It was the first EBR my wife had ever shot. Now it looks like we're in the market for an AR.. perhaps something in a Tiger
Striped pink... :-X

The highlight of the day came from the lane next to us at the pistol range. There was an older gent there, who struck up a
conversation with us. He looked like the type of person who probably had some stories to tell, and turned out I was right.
It wasn't long before he was insisting we shot several of his collection. My the time he left, we had shot an original Sig P210
9mm (Was a bit taken back by the fact that a complete stranger would shove a $2500 classic firearm in my hands and insist
both me and the wife tried it out!). Next was his Kimber commander. Was an older model I was unfamiliar with, but may have
to keep an eye out in my travels. Then there was the Springfield EMP, with ported barrel and slide. Then the highlight. He came
over and handed me a Colt 1911. I could tell the gun had some years on it, but it was in excellent shape, and obviously well cared
for. He told me that this was the sidearm he carried all through his time in Vietnam, and his prized 1911, and it an honor to be
invited to send some rounds through it.

All in all, it was an Excellent day!

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Sounds like a great day. It is always nice to have someone at the range willing to share handguns with you. I use to have a GP 100, I miss it. It was stout.

Reactions: RichO

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Days like that don't come along too often. Glad you had fun!!

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
thanks for sharring, was a great day for sure. your honey sounds like a keeper too rich, lucky guy.:thumb:

·
Registered
9,586 Posts
What a GREAT day - and that's what life is all about! Hope that you can pull the memories out years from now and still smile about it! Shooting with your sweetie is an extra nice way to spend time together!:)

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Got to love a friendly range stranger. I've been lucky enough to find a few of those over the years

·
Registered
15,646 Posts
The PT1911. Nothing exciting to report here. As accurate as always, as reliable as always, and as fun
as always!
I've said the same about mine. Congratulations on a great day at the range.

·
Super Moderator
27,192 Posts
Great to hear! Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts