Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday the family got together for a nice BBQ and get together. We had worked on getting our nephews range somewhat functional and my wife FINALLY had a chance to shoot her new PT1911 in 38 super. We had the 22 rifles for the youngins, my PT 1911 in 45 ACP, My Wife's new PT1911 in 38 super, My nephews Ruger Security 6, a Pair of PT709's and my Son's GSG 1911-22.
I figured Since it was a Nice day I would get plenty of trigger time and I could test out some 9mm reloads, run a few mags through my Wife's 38 super and Relax. This wasn't exactly how it turned out.
We had all the handguns on the table, several sets of glasses and about 5 sets of extra ear plugs. Seems as EVERYONE from the youngest boy at age 10 to the oldest at age 45 wanted to try out the different firearms. I actually managed to put 1 mag through my 709 as I was teaching my niece proper safety, grip and firing of her new 709. Suddenly I'm the Patriarch Range master, RSO. I spent the next 5 hours working with everyone who were wanting to shoot. Dad's were there wanting their sons and daughters learn about Safety and finally getting to "shoot the first gun". Wives wanting to get the CHL's asked tons of questions, tried all the different handguns. All of them picking up how crucial safety was and how to have a safe Fun time shooting. At first I was a bit annoyed because here I am, a fancier for shooting sports and I don't have time to shoot. That changed with all the sincere thanks from parents and kids, new and experienced shooters for my tutiledge. I couldn't have been more proud of my family and friends. It was particularly satisfying helping the young ones pick up the instruction and hitting cans at 20-25 yards with a handgun. The Smiles and excitement of children who hit their targets were priceless. We policed the range afterwards, packed up everything and continued with the BBQ.
Good weather, Good Food, good family and friends. It doesn't get any better than this.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Sounds like a great day. Good friends, Family, good weather, & a BBQ!!!
I'd say it was a great day. Thanks for sharing.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
Now THAT sounds like a great Saturday BBQ. Nice going with keeping things safe and instructive.

Reactions: Peacemakr40

·
Registered
155 Posts
You had 22 rifles!?!?! That's a lot ;):D Lol I'm just messing with you. It sounds like you had a great time, and I understand the feeling. I've gotten a few people into shooting by just showing them the ropes to safety and how to operate a firearm.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic time!
I'm sure everyone was glad to have your expertise to guide them!
GREAT job!!!!!

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Sounds like a great day. I rather enjoy spending time with new shooters and watching them have a good time. Sure you didn't get to shoot much yourself, and sometimes it sucks burning ammo that you didn't shoot, but in the end it's still a great day.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Way to go sounds like you are a good teacher.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
Saturday the family got together for a nice BBQ and get together. We had worked on getting our nephews range somewhat functional and my wife FINALLY had a chance to shoot her new PT1911 in 38 super. We had the 22 rifles for the youngins, my PT 1911 in 45 ACP, My Wife's new PT1911 in 38 super, My nephews Ruger Security 6, a Pair of PT709's and my Son's GSG 1911-22.
I figured Since it was a Nice day I would get plenty of trigger time and I could test out some 9mm reloads, run a few mags through my Wife's 38 super and Relax. This wasn't exactly how it turned out.
We had all the handguns on the table, several sets of glasses and about 5 sets of extra ear plugs. Seems as EVERYONE from the youngest boy at age 10 to the oldest at age 45 wanted to try out the different firearms. I actually managed to put 1 mag through my 709 as I was teaching my niece proper safety, grip and firing of her new 709. Suddenly I'm the Patriarch Range master, RSO. I spent the next 5 hours working with everyone who were wanting to shoot. Dad's were there wanting their sons and daughters learn about Safety and finally getting to "shoot the first gun". Wives wanting to get the CHL's asked tons of questions, tried all the different handguns. All of them picking up how crucial safety was and how to have a safe Fun time shooting. At first I was a bit annoyed because here I am, a fancier for shooting sports and I don't have time to shoot. That changed with all the sincere thanks from parents and kids, new and experienced shooters for my tutiledge. I couldn't have been more proud of my family and friends. It was particularly satisfying helping the young ones pick up the instruction and hitting cans at 20-25 yards with a handgun. The Smiles and excitement of children who hit their targets were priceless. We policed the range afterwards, packed up everything and continued with the BBQ.
Good weather, Good Food, good family and friends. It doesn't get any better than this.
I'll bet that was worth its weight in brass! Sounds like everyone had a great day!

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
Great job! Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
Sounds like a fantastic day of family camaraderie, fellowship, and fun. I look at it this way - you are already a competent shooter, and disregarding the "fun" of pulling the trigger yourself, the lessons you instilled on the youngsters, and new shooters, far outweighs any "polishing" you could have gotten from practice on your own skills.

Well done - good teachers are hard to find!

Reactions: rodfair

·
Registered
701 Posts
Great Job " Papa " I'm sure you have a lot of Fans young & old. You sound like a nice Gentleman !

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Sounds like the perfect day!! Congratulations

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
Sounds like a great day for everyone.. Good food, good people ,good weather. And good students.. Thanks for giving of your time to help them..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts