Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son and I went to the local indoor range the other day and shot our 9's.

He brought his Ruger SR9c that he conceal carries and I brought my SAR B6c that I hoped would pass the ammo test so that I can conceal carry it.

He shot the ammo in his carry mags (Hornady Critical Defense) and then switched to his practice ammo of choice, Tula 9mm. His Ruger eats that stuff like candy.

I shot both Winchester Defend 147 grain HP and Federal "Micro" 150 grain HST HP's in mine as a test and my SAR ate them with no issues.

I shot a bunch of the Federal 115 grain FMJ ammo with no issues. The only issue I had was with the Winchester Steel Case which failed to feed on a few rounds. I switched back to the Federal brass case and had no further issues.

Funny thing though, my son told me to load a mag of his Tula and try it. It fed and shot just fine in my SAR.

I then suggested he try the Winchester Steel Case in his SR9c as it seems to eat anything and he also had 1 FTF on the Winchester Steel Case. Perhaps Winchester needs to collude with the Russians on how to make steel case?

All in all we had a great time and I now have a new pistol to conceal and carry.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Sounds like a good day all around. My brother in Law bought a SAR with a 3.8 inch barrel a few months back I've tried to talk him into buying and trying different ammo but he still has his 3rd grade lunch money he has put well over 1000 rounds of my 9mm reloads through it with no problems what so ever it's a nice carry gun we got it through CDNN for like $259.00 nice pistol for the price adjustable sights and other extras for the money but he complained when he had to spendd twenty dollars on a leather holsterand the guy is worth well over a million

·
Super Moderator
38,020 Posts
My son and I went to the local indoor range the other day and shot our 9's.

He brought his Ruger SR9c that he conceal carries and I brought my SAR B6c that I hoped would pass the ammo test so that I can conceal carry it.

He shot the ammo in his carry mags (Hornady Critical Defense) and then switched to his practice ammo of choice, Tula 9mm. His Ruger eats that stuff like candy.

I shot both Winchester Defend 147 grain HP and Federal "Micro" 150 grain HST HP's in mine as a test and my SAR ate them with no issues.

I shot a bunch of the Federal 115 grain FMJ ammo with no issues. The only issue I had was with the Winchester Steel Case which failed to feed on a few rounds. I switched back to the Federal brass case and had no further issues.

Funny thing though, my son told me to load a mag of his Tula and try it. It fed and shot just fine in my SAR.

I then suggested he try the Winchester Steel Case in his SR9c as it seems to eat anything and he also had 1 FTF on the Winchester Steel Case. Perhaps Winchester needs to collude with the Russians on how to make steel case?

All in all we had a great time and I now have a new pistol to conceal and carry.
Sounds like a great time enjoying time with your son! Plus you both have more confidence in your carry pistols.

Sounds like a good day all around. My brother in Law bought a SAR with a 3.8 inch barrel a few months back I've tried to talk him into buying and trying different ammo but he still has his 3rd grade lunch money he has put well over 1000 rounds of my 9mm reloads through it with no problems what so ever it's a nice carry gun we got it through CDNN for like $259.00 nice pistol for the price adjustable sights and other extras for the money but he complained when he had to spendd twenty dollars on a leather holsterand the guy is worth well over a million
I got a laugh out of that...and then when I finished realized how he got his nest egg...he never cracked any. ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Family time at the range is a great time. Two good choice of carry guns also.

·
Super Moderator
27,124 Posts
Havent been to the range in a good long time...years. When my son and I would go we would have a friendly competition. .....now I probably wouldnt be able to hit a cow in the backside with a shovel!

·
Registered
14,919 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I barely outshot my son to about 21 feet. Further than that and he won hands down.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I still have it over my son with the handguns but with the rifles he has me beat. Shoots better than me with open sights at 100 yards than me with my scoped rifles.

·
Administrator
35,714 Posts
It's been too long since I've been to the range with my sons as well. Sounds like you had a great time !

Reactions: RScottie
1 - 15 of 15 Posts