Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What would you folks recommend? I mean, the full monty, what would he need to buy to have everything he needs. Cost IS an object, so keep that in mind.

He is not a novice reloader, but doesn't own any equipment himself. I suggested one the Lee kits, but I don't know enough about what else he would need to be happy reloading 45 ACP without spending a fortune.

I am not a reloader, but have done *some* reading here and other places about it. That is why I am asking. Because I only know enough to be dangerous! LOL!

Thanks for all suggestions!

(Dang! Wish I could add an "s" to "want" in the title... OCD...) ;)

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use a lee c-press and lee dies

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thanks shaner, but what I really need (as I am not a reloader) is a list of what is needed to be set to reload 45 ACP. My friend doesn't have a lot of money, so I am considering ordering what he needs and let him pay me back as he can. However, I don't know enough about reloading to even start.

The Lee reloading kits are fairly reasonable, but they don't come with all you need. That is what I am looking for... what else will he need other than what comes in the kit.

I am not stuck on Lee, but so far it seems to be the most reasonably priced single stage reloader. If I am wrong about that, please let me know. If another single stage reloader is better, but not too much more in price, that would be a consideration as well.

Thanks again to you and anyone who replies with good info!

Kerry

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Simple short list;
Press, dies, scale, powder dippers or measure, dial calipers, and a good manual or two. That is the bare minimum that would be needed for tools. everything else is not essential to produce bullets but some of it is sure enough handy to have.

Reactions: sknhgy and shaner

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Simple short list;
Press, dies, scale, powder dippers or measure, dial calipers, and a good manual or two. That is the bare minimum that would be needed for tools. everything else is not essential to produce bullets but some of it is sure enough handy to have.
Thanks, this is more along what I was looking for. I am not knowledgeable about reloading but he is. He just doesn't have the equipment for .45 ACP.

I would like to buy the equipment for him because he doesn't do the internet and has limited opportunities locally. He is diabetic and has heart problems. They already took off one leg due to the diabetes. He can be a crusty SOB, but he is one of my best friends, so I am going to try and help.

Thanks again!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
If he's, as you say, knowledgeable about reloading, he may already have everything except dippers and dies for single-stage reloading.

EDIT: I just re-read your OP "but doesn't own any equipment himself", so please disregard my comment.

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
Hornady makes a good combo kit called the Lock and Load single stage kit. It comes with most of what you would need to get started, the die, a digital scale, a powder funnel, a powder dispenser, and some other things. You would only really need to buy the dies and maybe one or two other things. I'm sure Lee probably makes something like that as well.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
What would you folks recommend? I mean, the full monty, what would he need to buy to have everything he needs. Cost IS an object, so keep that in mind.

He is not a novice reloader, but doesn't own any equipment himself. I suggested one the Lee kits, but I don't know enough about what else he would need to be happy reloading 45 ACP without spending a fortune.

I am not a reloader, but have done *some* reading here and other places about it. That is why I am asking. Because I only know enough to be dangerous! LOL!

Thanks for all suggestions!

(Dang! Wish I could add an "s" to "want" in the title... OCD...) ;)
The Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single stage kit is The best price for a full kit.

·
Administrator
39,366 Posts
I had a single stage press made by RCBS years ago. Loaded many thousands of rounds on that thing. Slow, if that’s something you don’t mind. I forget the model name of it. I graduated to a progressive fifteen years ago, and have never looked back. It’s cut my time at the reloading bench waaaay back!

·
Banned
1,582 Posts
I had a single stage press made by RCBS years ago. Loaded many thousands of rounds on that thing. Slow, if that’s something you don’t mind. I forget the model name of it. I graduated to a progressive fifteen years ago, and have never looked back. It’s cut my time at the reloading bench waaaay back!
I had a Lee hand press that was even slower. But I’d sit in my chair on a Saturday watching college football and crank out a few hundred.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Hornady makes a good combo kit called the Lock and Load single stage kit. It comes with most of what you would need to get started, the die, a digital scale, a powder funnel, a powder dispenser, and some other things. You would only really need to buy the dies and maybe one or two other things. I'm sure Lee probably makes something like that as well.
While cost is an issue, I would still consider the Hornady Lock and Load DELUXE kit, as the additional features will likely be sought out and purchased shortly afterwards. Primarily, the LNL Single Stage comes with a flat powder mount (undesirable) and only the Rifle rotor for the powder dispenser...and excellent dispenser overall, but trying to drop pistol loads with a Rifle rotor is frustrating.

The deluxe kit includes the proper powder stand, dial calipers, OAL gauge (not needed for pistol), a whack-a-mole bullet puller, extra die-lock rings, a set of shell holders. There may be more. But the sum of the additions is less cost than the increased price of the Deluxe Kit over the Classic Kit. I went Classic...then bought everything else...

·
Administrator
35,115 Posts
I don't think the Deluxe kit existed when I bought mine. I had to go buy a bullet puller, shell holders, calipers, etc. Sounds like a great kit.

Reactions: markr6754

·
Registered
808 Posts
for the price the lee kit stuff is hard to beat, but I did not like the lee press that comes with it. I broke too many of the pot metal links. I use a lot of the dies and they seem as good as any. The scale looks cheezy but it works. Not an Ohaus beam scale but it works. The powder measure works as good as the best(tested by one of the precision shooting mag's and they were shocked). He will need a way to clean cases. I've been using corn cob and a vibrator for 25 years and am happy with it. I don't think the SS pins and such to wet clean to remove every bit is necessary. The lee auto primer works for me and the new version may fix some of the issues with the old round tray ones. Go to harbor freight and buy a SS dial caliper, non-battery. I hate battery powered stuff. will last forever. The polymer RCBS ones work well too.
For a manual, I like the load books. $13 or so but covers a bunch of manufacturers bullets and powders. every time you add a cartridge, buy the manual. really handy to not have to flip back and forth to different manuals and compact to store

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I suggest a Lyman Ideal c-frame press, a Lyman powder measure, Lee CARBIDE dies, an AWS LB-501 digital scale,
a Lyman Powder Pal funnel pan, Starline brass, 'whichever' large pistol primers you can find, whichever powder you can find [HP-38/W231, CFE Pistol, Titegroup, etc.]
projectiles of choice [ACME coated round nose, Hornady XTP, Berry's plated, etc.], Lyman E-ZEE Prime hand primer, plastic reloading tray(s)(amazon),
a case mouth expanding die [Lee, Dillon, etc.], Frankford Arsenal powder dribbler/trickler. You can add other small peripheral tools later [chamfer, multi-tool, flash hole uniformer,
bullet puller(hammer or collet), primer pocket cleaner, press stand, powder measure stand, and so on into the rabbit hole.
P.S. Lyman also has a 'kit' in their new Brass Smith line...... Lyman Brass Smith Ideal Reloading Press Kit ......240 bucks on amazon, and has much of the equipment above.
I have this Lyman Ideal for a back-up press [bullet puller, cartridges I only shoot a few of, etc.] and it is premium. Smooth and tough.
I forgot a digital caliper......20 bucks on amazon....harbor freight,.....

·
Registered
588 Posts
I'd suggest a lee turret so once you have the dies set you don't have to mess with them. Can remove the rod and run it single stage if you want. The Hornady Lock and Load might have that same feature.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I suggest some of the old O-frame presses. RCBS Rock Chucker has a proven record. While they are overkill for pistol cartridges, they work even better for rifle cases. It's not a press you'll out grow if you get heavy into loading a wide range of cartridges.

I still do pistol cartridges on a cast iron Lyman and Lee O-presses. Mostly to make a test batch for hunting loads. For plinking ammo, it's a Lee Load Master.

I actually have 4 O-frame presses setup in a row.

Maloy

Maloy

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Minimum list:

At least ONE good, reliable loading manual. I like LYMAN, because they are NOT proprietary to their bullets, their powders, etc. LEE same. Those who manufacture components tend to favor their products to the exclusion of some good, tried-and-true products, loadings, etc.

Press of your choice

Inertial (hammer-type) bullet puller is essential. Sometimes you need one, and there is no substitute for their efficiency, style, &c.

DIAL caliper - never needs batteries, as "fool-proof" as things get (Digital, electronic calipers are fine, as long as you remember to set and keep ZERO, but an inadvertent bump of a button can screw you up big-time, plus batteries die, corrode, etc)

Powder-funnel and

loading blocck to do 50 cases at a time.

Set of LEE carbide dies (cheapest in the market, none better or more functional) (Powder drop through the case-mouth expander, so saves time and one more operation and other equpt) Note: They are not plated, chromed, or otherwise, so the outsides will pick up rust if you do not take care

Beam scale to weigh bullets, powder-charges, etc. The one from LEE is satisfactory,accurate and reliable. And inexpensive.

Powder measure

Powder tricklers are a nice touch, if you need one, but I lived for decades with a Bic ball-point pen body with the guts out, and I could coax one single granule out at a time when the occasion warranted. But if he's loading 45ACP blasting ammo, this is way overkill. The powder-measure will suffice without trickling for that extra granule.

·
17,571 Posts
Here's the bare minimum at the least cost:

Lee Precision Reloader Press: $36.99
Lee Precision Ram Prime: $9.94
Lee Precision 3 Die Set .45 ACP: $29.79
Lee Precision Perfect Powder Measure: $22.79
Lyman Pocket Touch 1500 scale: $28.99
Franford Arsenal Digital Caliper: $27.99

Total: $156.49...but not all these items are currently in stock.

All prices are from fsreloading.com. They are a Lee Master Distributor and I've never seen better pricing on Lee equipment.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Tell Your Friend to check the availability of components i.e. primers, powder and bullets and is He able to procure re-loadable brass, without these He is just chasing His own tail.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts