Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you know that if you pull the trigger back even just a little then engage the safety, the trigger will still go all the way back and fire the gun with the safety engaged?

It's like the safety lever is a garage door and if it closes while you're inside, then you can still get into the house. If it closes while you are outside, then you're safely locked out. I don't know why anyone would have their finger on the trigger pulling it back while engaging the safety but be warned.

·
TaurusArmed.net Forum Founder
6,541 Posts
Wow ... I never would have known that. I could see that causing a nasty problem too. Good info!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd noticed that, and it's the scariest thing to me about my Pro. The one ND I've heard of with a PT145 was someone who claimed it fired with the safety on, and I believe this is exactly how he managed it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
this was one of the first things i noticed about my new pistol when i got it. its kind of a scary thought, i considered getting some snap caps as well, just to see if it would actually fire. i have decided that it pbly isnt worth it, as i dont plan on having my finger on the trigger and engaging the safety.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Remember... you can't make guns fool-proof because fools are so darned creative! You can cure this problem by shooting the gun left handed with the right trigger finger over the barrel... you will then not have to worry about it again?

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you don't have snap caps you can always stick a pencil down the barrel "eraser end on the firing pin"
and pull the trigger to see if the firing pin works.

I have never noticed this on my PT145 but as soon as I get back to my house I'll try it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have always wondered if the gun would fire or not.

I am too afraid pulling the trigger on the gun with the safety engaged might hurt something.

Someone try it for me :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will fire. I just did the pencil test, again.

I don't see why anyone would pull the trigger while engaging the safety. But still. Be warned.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just trid mine...it will also fire.....I did notice that on mine the trigger will lock and hold itself in whatever position you have it in when you apply the safety....just something to remember I guess

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't think anyone here said they pull the trigger when locking the slide, its just an interesting fact about the weapon...I agree with you on some kind of stupid....but never hurts to know the little things about your weapon

·
Registered
10 Posts
If anyone is putting the safty on while pulling the trigger they are a special kind of stupid
This is a very rude comment. Since there is numerous people in this thread who have done this.

Being an instructer I can see many different ways the trigger can be pressed while engaging the safety.

Have you ever been taught trigger control or "trigger feel" this is when the trigger is held pressed after every shot and slowly released just until the trigger resets. This is a very easy way to improve time in competition. Instead of being a "Trigger Slapper" or even worse having the finger leave the trigger in between every shot, Which I see all the time in beginner shooters. I could see someone engaging the safety before the trigger is fully released. There is nothing stupid or unsafe about this.

I can already see the next post stating but why would you pull the trigger with the safety on?

That's not the point. The point is there is a defect in the design.

Anyway, every expirenced shooter has pulled the trigger with the safety on. It happens every week during my Sportsman's Club Saturday Morning Clays. You here "PULL" then "DAMN IT I LEFT THE SAFETY ON"

So I would like to congratulate propellerhead for knowing his/her pistol better than Taurus' Designers, Technicians, and the Testers.

Thank you propellerhead for bringing this defect to my attention it's much appreciated.

RED HAWKEYE

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Rude or not you should still not pull the trigger and try to put the safty on. Glocks and others like it have no satfy so the only way the gun will not fire is if you dont pull the trigger so why should it even matter if you can fire the Taurus with the safty on? even if you think the safty is on you still should not be pulling the trigger untill you are ready for the gun to fire, I stand behind my comment and you can call me what ever you want. If the profesionals are pulling the trigger with the safter on and not meaning for the gun to fire or pulling the trigger while trying to engage the safty then I sir do not want to be a profesional ;)

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Most of us had to try this out to realize that it actually worked as propperhead mentioned, and some of us have chuckeled at the idea of trying this. It is what it is... a flaw? Probably, however, I wonder how many other "flaws" go undetected. This is kind of like loading six chambers in a Colt SAA. Know that you don't do it. However, once engage properly... I can find no flaw in the safety of carrying the Taurus PT145 with the safety on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My concern here is more if someone reassembles something incorrectly, or some internal gunk blocks the trigger from fully resetting above the safety cutoff mark, rather than someone slightly pulling the trigger and engaging the safety.

On the other hand, I fully agree that the best safety is between your ears, and if everyone followed the 4 rules all of the time, it wouldn't be a problem. However, with the number of NDs that abound in general, I'd like to trim the odds a little in favor of safety and not seeing Taurus get sued!

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have owned three millenium series pistol pt-111, pt-140 and a pt145 in the past. i removed all their manual safety and left it that way since they were all DAO. for me a manual safety on a DAO handgun was more of a problem than a cure. it's redundant system for a already safe handgun. you can't pull a trigger while the safety is on with those 1st and 2nd gen. units. the newer 3rd generation DA/SA action, is another story. i think if you're able to engage the safety system while pulling on the trigger, something is wrong with the gun.
the newer versions doesn't have any trigger safety as of the later version. but those version like i said were DAO, these newer version have SINGLE action, much lighter trigger,and prone to accidental firing.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The only way this situation can arise is through operator error.
If you're not aiming at a target preparing to fire your finger shouldn't be on the trigger.
If you're engaging the safety you're not preparing to fire, therefor your finger shouldn't be on the trigger.
I preload my trigger and when I stop shooting I index my finger on the side of the frame, whether I'm going to engage the safety or not. When I'm back on target I preload the trigger again in preparation to fire. It's a reflex action that I do without having to think about it.
Any instructor that doesn't teach this has a serious flaw in his course.
The only way to even discover this "defect" is to violate Rule 3:

Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can those in the know please expand on the DAO of the earlier generations of this gun and the DA/SA of the 3rd gen. What makes this 3rd gen gun a single action? Could this have anything to do with the safety NOT stopping a preloaded trigger? I ask because I am strongly considering this gun....and one of the reasons is that it has a manual safty. Knowing it's limitations is great info....thanks!

·
Administrator
39,921 Posts
Well, the double action only is similar to a revolver. Pull the trigger, it cocks and drops the hammer (striker). Single action as in the 3rd gen. Millennium is considered always cocked. Pull the trigger and the hammer (striker) drops. They are actually SA/DA. Double action will only come into play in the event of a misfire.

I've carried a 3rd gen. Millennium for around two years with no problems as the safety works.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts