Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleared the driveway yesterday afternoon with a 30" rake and today I can barely move. The driveway is 14 ft. wide and beginning about 25 ft. from the garage it fans out to 32 ft. wide. Seems like it's approximately 160 ft. in length though can't really remember. Yesterday I'd swore it was a mile long. Took about 4 hours and come out of my coat in about 5 minutes. On this side of the drive along the 14 ft. wide run I lacked about 3 ft. pushing/raking it to the edge of the grass; ran out of push power. Made a couple of passes with a bucket (tractor) the length of the drive initially which left about 1/2" of ice. Couldn't stand looking at it so I went manual with the rake. The rake is one of those large aluminum "asphalt" rake with tines on one side and a blade / squeegee on the opposite side. Makes great raised beds for gardens.. Here's a few pics.

Attachments

·
22,321 Posts
You shoveled (raked, whatever) that by hand? Sheesh!

·
Banned
15,276 Posts
I remember that stuff from Washington State, Maine, and Virginia too. Thanks for bringing back those cold memories!

Reactions: bamashooter

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks just like WI. Here's a small tip from a Northern. Snow shovels work better than racks on snow. ;)
I hear ya. I do have a manure shovel I use. The rake has a really nice long handle. I just couldn't have stayed stooped over that long with the shovel.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You shoveled (raked, whatever) that by hand? Sheesh!
Yeah, pretty dang sore though rapidly improving. Four trips raking. First trip was breaking the stuff up with the tine side and the other two was shoving it all to each side of the drive with the blade side. Getting too old for this stuff though I'm told it could be worse. Really? :D

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
We use feed/grain shovels, too - you can find some with longer handles - that's the one DH uses! Great pictures - and great job on clearing the drive! Have you used the Ben Gay yet?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
E use feed/grain shovels, too - you can find some with longer handles - that's the one DH uses! Great pictures - and great job on clearing the drive! Have you used the Ben Gay yet?
Need to find one of those long handled jobs. Maybe ya'll have those cuz you have more @#$% to sling.:D No Ben Gay but I have been stand in the window with the sun hitting my back and stretching a little. Feels much better. Think I might adopt a couple of teenagers next time and take 'em back when the drive is finished. :D

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Sekol ya'll are much braver than I am.
That's a picture I got off the net - but we did the same thing just a few years ago - shoveled off a good part of the roof that wasn't at a steep enough pitch...

Ahhh - spring will be here soon - I hope!

·
Registered
19,167 Posts
I hate snow... Come on spring..:(

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Sorry, It's the normal for me for 5 months a year.

Reactions: john_bud

·
Registered
10,614 Posts
I can commiserate with you stiffness and sore body. I used a conventional snow shovel to shovel my drive and did not stretch out first. I am paying for it today, so I will not get to Sand Lake for the TA gathering. And it is only 2 1/2 hours away in dry weather!

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
I hear ya. I do have a manure shovel I use. The rake has a really nice long handle. I just couldn't have stayed stooped over that long with the shovel.
That rake is what we in the blacktop business call a rake...hehehe...or a lute, if it has a 1" high straight edge opposite the teeth.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts