Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive read the manual for my pistol and its really non descriptive about the use of +P ammunition in the 24/7 pro

It doesn't say not to use it, it just says that over time the use of +P ammunition might cause parts of the gun to wear out prematurely. (At least thats what I got out of it)

My question is this, does anyone use +P .45's as their carry ammo? Have you shot +P .45's at the range?

I'm going to assume (yeah I know, never ASS/U/ME) that its ok to fire +P .45s out of my pistol as long as I don't make a habit of shooting only +P loads and thats its fine to carry them for that just in case situation.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Big_Rob said:
It doesn't say not to use it, it just says that over time the use of +P ammunition might cause parts of the gun to wear out prematurely. (At least thats what I got out of it)

This is true. Key words here are "over time". Plus P loads will batter the majority of pistols over time
Big_Rob said:
My question is this, does anyone use +P .45's as their carry ammo? Have you shot +P .45's at the range?

I will occasionally use +P's in my .45 but do not feel underpowered with standard pressure loads.

It is OK to run enough +P's through if that's what you're going to be carrying on a daily basis (say 200-300 rounds to test functionality).

At the range, I'll always finish off my session with one mag of +P's. It hasn't affected my PT145

·
Administrator
35,417 Posts
According to the Taurus catalog, all Taurus guns are rated for +P use. The only exception, it says, are the magnesium revolvers.

I own the 24/7 Pro 45acp, and I have shot and I carry for defensive use the Corbon 185 grain +P load. I don't run +P loads through my gun frequently, but I do occasionally just to keep a feel for the extra recoil.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys ;)

·
Super Moderator
21,582 Posts
You buy a 45 so you don't have to use +p most jhp will get the job done. IMO I'm going to buy the 145 in about a month I love the feel and size and plan on using just plane ole jhp in it.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Well Taurus says they build em for +P but as a personal carry firearm, I would not use +P for liability reasons.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Even though a firearm is rated for +P ammo, I myself wouldn't use it. If I want higher pressure loads, I'll use a magnum. One thing I always look for in any ammo, including defense loads, is accuracy. In my S&W M&P 45, I use Remington Golden Saber 185gr. BJHP (Order # GS45APA), which are NOT +P. Now before anyone freaks, some Golden Saber in 185gr. 45 ACP are +P rated. However, they are (Order # GS45APC). http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/handgun/golden_saber_HPJ.asp

There is every possibility that my soon to arrive Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 45 ACP will also use the Remington Golden Saber 185gr. BJHP (Order # GS45APA). I have also been known to carry Winchester 230gr. JHP (USA45JHP) and have not felt the least inadequate. What defense load goes in my new Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact 45, will be determined by the same factors I have used for every handgun I own, reliable functioning and it's accuracy. I feel these are the only two real criteria for any round that you put through a gun, reliability and accuracy.
I know there will be some who will quote the horror stories of the early Silvertips and their lack of effectiveness. I remember reading one story in a gun magazine many years ago. Two officers responded to a family dispute. The man the call had been made about, was armed with a 12 ga shotgun. The two officers ordered the man to put it down on the ground. When he didn't comply, they opened up on him, repeatedly hitting him with their 9mm Silvertips. They stopped shooting him after he told them, "If you'll stop shooting me, I'll put the gun down. That hurts."
There was , according to some, terrible problems with these rounds. I stopped using them myself after I had a bad experience shooing a rabid animal. I shot it several times in the head at close range. The round would knock the animal down, only for it to get right back up on its feet. It took 7 rounds to end it. Just because you have to put down a sick animal doesn't mean you have to make it suffer while you're doing it. I tossed the Silvertips. My thinking was, if it doesn't kill a fairly small animal at close range with head shots, what stopping power, or lack thereof, would it have on another man?
But like I said, this was years ago and defense ammo has made huge leaps in bullet design technology. I myself have had great success with Winchester ammo and know for fact they will stand behind their ammo 100%. I had a pistol that was misfiring. I believed it was the ammo, which was Winchester Value. I contacted them and told them my problem. They paid for the ammo (including the spent cases) to be returned to them. They sent me a report on them. It was the gun, not the ammo. They sure didn't have to, but they sent me a coupon for more ammo. Have you ever seen a coupon from an ammo manufacturer for ammo?

What good is a round if your gun doesn't like it? I have seen premium ammo that certain pistols have had problems feeding. It doesn't happen all that often these days, but it can happen. If your pistol jams when you need it the most, you are in big trouble. The second thing I look for is accuracy, and I base this on two points. It must go to the point of aim, and it must shoot in a fairly tight group.
I don't care how lethal a round is reported to be. If it doesn't shoot accurately from your gun, it's of little value to you. I would much rather hit where I'm aiming with a so-called lesser round, than miss with the baddest bullet made. I also want to be able to put another in the same neighborhood it need be.

I use to have a friend years ago who had a severe case of magnumitus. He felt that his reloads had to zip out of the muzzle at near warp speed. His revolvers got a bit, shall we say, loose. These loads battered his guns to the point that he didn't keep them too long, because they wore out long before their time. He complained because he couldn't get top dollar for them when he tried to trade them off, and then later would criticize the gun for its poor workmanship..

·
Registered
244 Posts
I just bought a Taurus 24/7 Pro in 4" bbl SS tonight. Shoots well! I have som Cor-Bon that is 185gr +P ammo and some Taurus that is X Barned bullet, same as Cor-Bon. So, while practicing with regular FMJ, I should be safe carrying the Cor-Bon as it would only be used/shot in a dire situation. TOO expensive to just pop off, other than to check the feed and reliability of the round. They seem very reliable for feeding and are quite adequate for accuracy. I just think one must balance between standard target rounds and the +P for carry.

BTW, does anyone else have trouble getting that 12th bullet in the magazine?? LOL

·
Administrator
17,921 Posts
Darth AkSarBen said:
BTW, does anyone else have trouble getting that 12th bullet in the magazine?? LOL
Actually, No. But I have been using my HKS Model 452 Magazine Loader from the start. If loading barehanded, I'm sure I probably would have. Double Column .45 Magazines require stout springs to be reliably operational, as I have learned with other makes.

·
Registered
235 Posts
fedora1953 said:
I remember reading one story in a gun magazine many years ago. Two officers responded to a family dispute. The man the call had been made about, was armed with a 12 ga shotgun. The two officers ordered the man to put it down on the ground. When he didn't comply, they opened up on him, repeatedly hitting him with their 9mm Silvertips. They stopped shooting him after he told them, "If you'll stop shooting me, I'll put the gun down. That hurts."
That's what they get for using 9mm. All kidding aside...is there any more information on these rounds that I can look into like that? I could use a good laugh.

·
Registered
244 Posts
texastaurusguy said:
According to the Taurus catalog, all Taurus guns are rated for +P use. The only exception, it says, are the magnesium revolvers.

I own the 24/7 Pro 45acp, and I have shot and I carry for defensive use the Cor-Bon 185 grain +P load. I don't run +P loads through my gun frequently, but I do occasionally just to keep a feel for the extra recoil.
I have the Taurus catalog, and what texastaurusguy says is true on the back page of the catalog.
They state as long as SAAMI is adhered to, that they will work, and gave the following example, regarding .45 ACP: Standard 45. ACP 21,000 PSI; +P .45 ACP 23,000 PSI.

I wrote to Cor-Bon about their 185gr DPX +P ammunition to see if it was under the 23,000 PSI or less. I got a response back this morning " COR-BON, like Taurus is a member of SAAMI. We load our ammunition within the specifications that SAAMI sets for ammunition. Our 45 Auto ammunitions is +P. Anything higher than 23,000 PSI would be considered +P+ which no manufacture makes."

So, with the letter from Cor-Bon and the info in the back of the Taurus catalog outlining the STANDARD and +P pressures acceptable, I feel more comfortable with using the Cor-Bon +P for carry rounds for SD. I see no real reason to use it as a steady diet, as standard pressure Taurus works just fine. It could be used in conjunction with the Taurus Hex bullet. But, for the possible VERY few shots if ever needed, the shooting of the +P of Cor-Bon should not over tax the 24/7 Pro pistol.

One other note. Does Taurus make the Hex ammo in other than .45 ACP? I was told from local GS that they started out with .45 ACP and were going to other calibers, but never did.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Darth AkSarBen said:
One other note. Does Taurus make the Hex ammo in other than .45 ACP? I was told from local GS that they started out with .45 ACP and were going to other calibers, but never did.
.45 ACP only as far as I know. I do not believe this ammo is currently being manufactured, so grab it up. I have 200 rounds of it and all the markings on the boxes indicate it was manufactured in 2002.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Found some for a bargain of $10.95 / box!! *big grin*

·
Registered
171 Posts
What's the big deal about the Taurus ammo? I havent heard much of anything about it and im just curious. Is it really an acceptionally good round? Or do some prefer it cause they like to have taurus ammo in a taurus gun?

·
Registered
244 Posts
247pro45 said:
What's the big deal about the Taurus ammo? I havent heard much of anything about it and im just curious. Is it really an acceptionally good round? Or do some prefer it cause they like to have taurus ammo in a taurus gun?
It is loaded by PMC, using Hodgdon powder, and Barnes X all copper bullet. It is loaded to standard SAAMI loads of 21,000 PSI and the bullet has good penetration. Cor-Bon makes a similar bullet, but it is rated as a +P with a bit more pressures of 23,000 PSI. Still acceptable of the SAAMI loading, but a lot more expensive. Same copper bullet. John Farnam, noted Defense guru likes the Cor-Bon very much, even over a lot of the other HP bullets. Taurus just has a name on the ammo, but their components are a collection of several minds.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ok, thank you Dark AkSarBen!

JT

1 - 17 of 17 Posts