Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned a 24/7 pro c ds in .45acp for a while now and really like it. I've been toying with the notion of getting something larger in barrel length to use as a range gun and something in a cheaper caliber (I can't afford to shoot the .45 much) The OSS is my obvious choice. I've got a couple of question that I hope you guys could help me out with...

Are many people using the OSS in competition?
Is the barrel match grade?
What's the market like for OSS gear and accesseries such as holsters and sights?
What does SOCOM mean? I've seen in listed in the description of some OSS models.
Why are the .40 cals going for so much more than the .45 or 9mm?

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ill be using my OSS 9mm in IDPA and USPSA comps tis year and there are a couple others as well. As for the barrel in the OSS it is a match grade barrel and anything holster, mag pouch and magazines for the normal 24/7 (full size models) will work for the OSS. The SOCOM comes from what Taurus designed te OSS for which was the competition for the military contract competition(along with several other companies), but the the contract was canceled before there was a winner picked, although rumor has it the OSS was in the lead when it was canceled. As for caliber the MOST popular and by far cheapest in IDPA/USPSA competitions is 9mm which if you look around (budsgunshop,com and thegunsource.com) you can find an OSS in 9mm for $320-350 shipped give or take.

My personal opinion is buy the OSS 9mm, take it to comps and have a great time with the best polymer gun Taurus ever made and show the haters theres a new kid runnin the streets!!!! lol

·
Member Emeritus 1946-2018
35,996 Posts
I just love reading an excited Taurus owner's appraisal of his or her new handgun!

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
SOCOM stands for Special Operations COMmand. This is a joint forces command that was seeking the new weapons.
I shot my 9mm OSS today, and I can highly recommend it. In my opinion, the OSS has a better trigger than the regular 24/7. I have 2 and when you pull the take up out of it, you have a short, crisp single-action pull. Get one while you can. These are being discontinued for the G2's, so that's why the 9mm and .45's are so cheap. Soon they will be gone.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've always been a fan of Taurus handguns. They are totally under-rated. Why spend double the money on other handguns just because of it being a "name brand".

Other questions:

Whats the difference between the OSS and the Long Slide model?

Anybody heard if there is a replacement for the the OSS in development?

·
Administrator
17,584 Posts
Whats the difference between the OSS and the Long Slide model?
Not much. 24/7 OSS DS series guns have a Decocker for a DA first shot, Match Grade Barrel, and a Lanyard Ring.

Some of the Long Slides were of the 24/7 Pro Series and were SA/DA without the Decocker the DS Series has and no Lanyard Ring. There were some 24/7 Pro DS Longslides, but they tend to be rare in favor of the OSS models.

Anybody heard if there is a replacement for the the OSS in development?
There was a Longslide version of the 24/7 G2 in last years Taurus Catalog, but it has disappeared from the Catalog and was never imported. Doubt it was ever manufactured. Taurus seems to have thinned it from the line. Unfortunate.

I'm very happy with my .45 24/7 OSS! (and also very happy with my 9mm 24/7 Pro!)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts