Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm just getting into reloading and after spending a few sessions with my mentor, I was wondering where everyone is getting their supplies from?

I'm planning on ordering a press, tumbler, and dies to load 9mm, .40s&w, and .45acp as well as .223/5.56 rifle rounds.

The guy thats teaching me has a single stage as well as a turret style press--both are dillon. While nice they are a little expensive and I'm leaning more towards the single stage from lee due to price & the fact that it will be used for rifle & pistol cartridges.

Any advise regarding the lee equipment as well as any recommended reading/accessories will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
199 Posts
ive got a lee classic turret, you can find them in a kit with scale, powder measure, priming system among other things for around $200.
you can either use it as a turret press or remove the indexing rod and use it single stage.
and to switch between calibers is as easy as lifting out the turret and dropping the new one in with the dies already set up.
just my 2 cents. :D

i bought mine from cabelas for $220 because they were offering $2 shipping at the time. midway usa usually has them for a few dollars cheaper.

Reactions: BBGun and BW64

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Get on youtube and check out a video about the Lee Classic Turret press, most informative one is by ammosmith, and I'll 2nd what Gregg Gose posted buy it in a kit.

·
Super Moderator
36,030 Posts
I have a Lee Deluxe turret kit and like it a lot. Poke around in the reloading section for pros/cons of various presses. There is a discussion that's less than a week old and many others that compare them in depth.

Congrats on making the decision to start up, show us a picture of your bench when you're making ammo!

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Get the ABC's of Reloading. Good read. I started with a single stage & acquired a turret. Both are good. I like Lee products.

BW

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
The Lee products work fine for me. I have and started on the classic Turret press, it has been very easy to learn on. I now have a turret for every caliber I load, and am slowly adding lee Powder disk kits to each one as well. Switching calibers is as easy as lifting out one turret and putting in another. All remain set up and ready to go, verify the first few rounds and have at it. I have been reloading for just over a year and have no interest in upgrading the equipment yet. Watch the videos, and go with what you think is best and fits your budget.

Reactions: Gregg Gose

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
I've got two Lee Pro 1000's one set up for 9mm the other I swap between 45 Colt and 45 ACP. I also have the cheap Lee Reloader Press that I haven't used much yet except deprime cases. I also buy from FS Reloading for dies and parts. I purchased my system used and have added dies and lower assemblies for those to convert to what I'm shooting. I personally love the Lee equipment, fairly priced, it works and for me works well.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Lee dies are great I have a old lee single stage press that I prefer over my rcbs or pacfic. The perfect powder measure throws more accurate than my lyman. Dont think much of lee bar scale would recommend ohas 5-0-5 or similar. Reloading the 9mm for me is not much of a savings for me. I just buy factory loads and save the brass and cut it down and use it for my 9x18. Enjoy your new hobby

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like I'm deff leaning to the lee equipment--seems most everyone is pleased with their equipment. Right now I'm thinking the classic kit will suit my needs just fine.

One more quick question--are the carbide dies worth the xtra cost?

·
Registered
199 Posts
i'd say yes since the lee carbide dies are only a few dollars apart from their steel counterparts so the price is worth the benefit of not having to lube the cases (imho)
(im sure someone else can give you a better reason than that shortly. lol)

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
I went with the the carbide die's. Lubing the cases just does not sound fun. I don't reload rifle only because I don't own one I can reload for yet.

·
Super Moderator
17,704 Posts
Looks like I'm deff leaning to the lee equipment--seems most everyone is pleased with their equipment. Right now I'm thinking the classic kit will suit my needs just fine.

Without a doubt they are worth it. It will save you a massive amount of time and trouble.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Just an insertion of my not so humble opinion here. I like the carbide dies for a reason not often mentioned. I don't mind lubing the cases, it is the cleanup after they are sized that brought me to carbide for all my straight wall hand gun cases. I make sure all the lubricant is removed before I take the next step. I don't mind so much for rifle as I don't shoot as many. If I lube a case to size, it goes in the cleaner afterward and doesn't move another step in the process until it is completely cleaned of the lube. That means that my hand gun cases get tumbled once and my rifle cases get it twice.
As far a Lee products, they are as good as any other. At one time I was set up to load 141 different cartridges, at least half my dies were Lee.
Good luck and good shooting!!!
There are some good people here with a lot of knowledge and experience to share.

Reactions: BBGun

·
Registered
199 Posts
I also like the carbide dies I have from Lee, but my reloading "mentor" reminded me to clean them out after every hundred (or 200) or so rounds. Every time I do, the q-tips come out with dirt on them that will, after time, mar the dies.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts

They are completely worth it. They save a bunch of time because you don't have to lube your cases. They will also last forever.

·
Registered
36,297 Posts
Yep, in years long past when RCBS and Lyman would charge a arm, leg and one of you kids for carbide it wasn;t worth it, but since LEE entered into the picture I would use nothing else as long as it were available.
I know a lot don't like the Factory Crimp dies either but to me they are the best thing since slided bread.
so all my pistol dies are 4 die sets.
Midway often has them on sale as well, i think a 4 die set runs about 40-45 bucks on sale.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Yep, in years long past when RCBS and Lyman would charge a arm, leg and one of you kids for carbide it wasn;t worth it, but since LEE entered into the picture I would use nothing else as long as it were available.
I know a lot don't like the Factory Crimp dies either but to me they are the best thing since slided bread.
so all my pistol dies are 4 die sets.
Midway often has them on sale as well, i think a 4 die set runs about 40-45 bucks on sale.
Or $37 for the 4 die sets at https://fsreloading.com/lee-deluxe-pistol-4-die-set-.45-acp-90968.html and flat rate shipping charges beside being faster than Midway. I've gotten orders in as little a 4 days.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Get a turret press. You can use it as a SS or a turret. Just take the indexing rod out. The SS would be great for rifle tho but the same can be done in the turret.
Yes, For pistol applications get the carbide dies. You will not need to lube and clean off after to get thru the process unlike for rifle.

Get Lymans 49th edition/Lee Second Edition Revised/Hornady 8th edition/Sierra 5th or Speer #14.
Meaning, GET A MANUAL BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING! This is very important.
Also, Get a better scale ASAP. The Lee scale is O.K but a bit of a PITA to use. I sold it about 2 months after I had it because it was to hard for me to calibrate.
Bought a RCBS 5-0-5 and am very happy with it. Look around for a RCBS 130, 5-0-5 or even a Dillion Exterminator. I think that is what it is called.
It is easier to zero and also easier to get the charge you want.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts