Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16,883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday morning we were in the worst storm I've ever been in.
It lasted for about 3 or 4 hours starting at around midnight.
Turns out we were at the northern tip of a durecho that started in southeast
South Dakota and traveled east.
I've never seen it rain so hard with hail and 60 to 70 mph winds.
About 15 miles north of us they had 6 inches of rain and baseball size hail.
I guess Iowa and Illinois really got slammed.

Wheeee..Minnesota is fun!

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I wasn't around this forum in July of 2012 when a derecho went from Iowa to the east coast. I pretty well crippled us for weeks.

I'm very familiar with what you went/are going through. If you lost property, I hope you are able to recover quickly.

On a lighter note; Congrats, you just lived through a straight-line hurricane!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
I'm just sitting down after cutting and hauling broken limbs yesterday afternoon and this moring from that Durecho. It hit us about 11:15 and had gusts up to 78mph. Fortunantly it only lasted about an hour. Power is still out for 61,000 people in Des Moines and more in the surrounding suburbs.

The city will be picking up the limbs from the curb on Aug 17th, so we have plenty of time for cleaning up the mess. I still have 2 days of work cleaning up several of my other properties. Thank goodness I have 2 great chainsaws.

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
Durecho, Spanish as a 1st language in the USA.

Reactions: funflyer

·
Super Moderator
34,958 Posts
Derecho just means straight in Spanish. Just be glad it wasn't gay. You wouldn't wanna know.....:D

I have experienced a cat 4 hurricane, Carla, when I was about 8 years old. It was in 1961. I had nightmares for years after that, wake up in the middle of the night screaming. I've been through a couple of cat 2s since. They were nothing in comparison, but pretty scary anyway. The eye came over in Carla and Claudette. That was weird.

·
Super Moderator
35,578 Posts
We got through fairly unscathed here just NW of Chiraq. Got home from Costco and had maybe 40 minutes to pull patio furniture in before the hell let loose. Pretty dramatic stuff. I still haven't taken a close look at the roof, but it should be OK as it's only four years old. Hail was minimal and pea sized.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Yesterday morning we were in the worst storm I've ever been in.
It lasted for about 3 or 4 hours starting at around midnight.
Turns out we were at the northern tip of a durecho that started in southeast
South Dakota and traveled east.
I've never seen it rain so hard with hail and 60 to 70 mph winds.
About 15 miles north of us they had 6 inches of rain and baseball size hail.
I guess Iowa and Illinois really got slammed.

Wheeee..Minnesota is fun!
I just read the news article that said this was probably the worst storm Iowa ever had. I believe it. But, I wasn't here for all of them. :D:cool:

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
I live in a sheltered area, no damage. I sure could hear it though, rattled my storm windows. Across the river they still have quite a few without power.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
My house and my younger son's house are in Cedar Rapids. We lost all but one tree. Neighbors chimney hit and gouged my aluminum siding. Trees falling damaged my deck and my air conditioner blew off its platform. Roof is two months old. Adjuster will be out tomorrow.
My son lost siding, roof, a utility trailer, all of his trees and his attached garage is out of square from tree strike. His garage door isn't square with the opening any more. Power lost in 96% of Linn county. Thank God for preps. Generator keeping mine and my Neighbors basement dry; chest freezer, refrigerator and washing machine going.
No Air-conditioning though.
Corn farmers got the worst of it, horizontal corn stocks.

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
:unsure:...I thought he played for the Dodgers.

Reactions: JimmyA

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Reactions: kschilk

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,840 Posts
Reactions: kschilk

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Sorry to hear of all the damage in your area, Gyro. I'm in a suburb of Des Moines and we got off easy compared to your woes. I'll send a prayer your way. Good Luck with the Adjuster! I just heard there was a lot of damage at the Marion airport. I'm hoping you didn't lose a rotor wing there.

https://www.facebook.com/.../pcb.../1105407876521643/...
Wow! Feel sorry for whoever owns that RV6. My wife has to deal with all of that. I just get to pay for it. I'm down in Texas working when it hit. She was watching our new grandson in Cedar Rapids. It must of been terrifying. She called me via her cell phone from the basement, crying.
Had not seen Marion airport photos until you posted link. Glad you all didn't get hit too hard.
Good news is the Air-conditioning man came out and put unit back and system is OK. She got power yesterday afternoon and is cooling down finally. My son and his family moved in till power is back on in Marion. The adjuster will be out Saturday from what I'm hearing.
Someone posted Satellite photo of Iowa and you could see corn flattened across the state.

Reactions: Bruntson

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
That storm was a real nightmare. I guess it was a good thing it was over quick - although a lot of damage in a short time frame.

2004 Hurricane Charlie came through fairly fast. But the damage was unreal. Spawned hundreds of smaller cyclones and ripped everything apart. During the height of it we were in awe of the fury.
2017 Hurricane Irma came through at a much slower pace. Damage was still terrible - just thought it would never leave! Living in FL my whole life, I guess I've been through 7 or 8 big storms.

Hope everything turns out well for you.

·
Supporting SuperModerator
14,840 Posts
Hopefully our Administration will get it together and provide the needed assistance.

FEMA, yeah what a blessing!

Ray
Yeah! If you thought the storm was a nightmare.......wait until you get FEMA involved.

:D

1 - 20 of 30 Posts