Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Assume that society is now rebuilding from no-tech and you and yours have somehow survived the interregnum.

Is there something you can do now, or stockpile now, that will put you in a position of comparative wealth in such a world.

F'rinstance. Wheelbarrows are one of the most useful tools in a low tech world. What would it take to open a wheelbarrow factory?

But go with your own ideas.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
in a world of zombies, you worry about WHEELBARROWS !?!?! lol

Creek

·
Registered
27,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
in a world of zombies, you worry about WHEELBARROWS !?!?! lol

Creek
Ah, but that part is over. It is now time to rebuild.
The zombies are all chained in the toolshed playing video games. Or something.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I'm going to go with a hoe. Probably the most useful tool.

·
Registered
113 Posts
When I think of a post apocalyptic world IE SHTF situation I always thing of Maslow's hierarchy of needs. It says that humans have certain needs and you need to fulfill the first before you and work on the next. So it goes like this: Sustenance (food, water, air), Security (safety, shelter), Love and belonging (friends, family), Esteem (self confidence, acheivement) Self actualization(finding your purpose, becoming one with God, what does it all mean?)

So I just think, how far can I get people up the chain. I think that I would get in the business of portable zombie shelters. I don't know if the tech works but I think I would start here: What is it? | Concrete Canvas

The only issue is: are you going to be far enough up Maslow's needs to be worrying about it? or are you worrying about where to get your next meal, or the next band of traveling bandits?

Reactions: rifleshooter

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Check that. A forest fireman's tool. hoe on one side, pick axe on the other.

Reactions: granthol

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
we have too many hoes in my area already... although they are of awfully low quality! :D

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'm getting into beekeeping. Everyone has a sweet tooth. Plus you could make mead out of honey for the drinkers.

Reactions: hjon71 and mmarbut

·
22,055 Posts
Interesting queston!

There are two ways one could go here. Come up with something you'd be set up to make once society recovers, or stockpile something that's easy to get now, but would probably become much more scarce after TEOTWAWKI and subsequent recovery. And it would need to be something that's still useful after infrastructure pretty much dissolves. So nothing that depends on the internet or electricity, unless it can run off of easily generated electricity.

In the former category, equipment to make good arrows would probably be pretty darn useful. Bows aren't much use without arrows, but with a bow and good arrows, you can defend yourself and you can hunt. Both important tasks.

In the stockpile category, I'd say knives. Specifically, 3"-5" blade hunting knives. They wouldn't have to be expensive. Pretty much any knife you can get today for more than $10 will be unbelievably precious in the situation we're describing. So buy them by the case, and store them in... used Taurus shipping grease!

Salt would also be good. Or vitamins, or seeds.

Reactions: btleslie

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
You forget the lowest common denominator.
Anything you have of value, someone stronger than you will likely take it from you.
If you have an ugly wife you'll get to keep her.

This zombie thing is stupid anyway.
Back before we had chemicals and drugs it was vampires.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
2cents.gif toilet paper, I ain't going Hadji....

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
carpentry would be a valuable skill. and it cant be taken from you like your wheelbarrows or booze. once the world collapses, it must be rebuilt.

Creek

·
Registered
5,279 Posts
Heirloom seeds. No GMO as they do not breed true and the seeds from those you planted tend to be worthless. Food for you and trade items.

Sarge

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Heirloom seeds. No GMO as they do not breed true and the seeds from those you planted tend to be worthless. Food for you and trade items.

Sarge
Interesting point about GMO seeds: after replanting seeds from the previous harvest, after 7 cycles of this, they revert back to normal seeds. I know a tomato grower who has done this, w/ the aid of a professional agronomist.

·
Registered
21,110 Posts
Gun smith and how to make powder...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts