Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally found a gun shop that had one yesterday and I like it! So, here's my questions:

I'm not sure about the two dot system. How do you guys like it? If I go w/ night sights, they'll be standard three dots, right? Who makes the night sights that Taurus uses? Does anyone make after market night sights? If so, who?

The slide release on the gun I held was very tight. Is this how they all normally are, does it need to be broken in, or was that just a tight gun?

Thanks

·
Registered
126 Posts
The Heine's are OK, take a little getting used to and I wouldn't want them for bullseye shooting, but for SD/HD use at close range they are good, very quick target aquisition and very instinctual.

I was not aware they offered night sights on the MilPros, I could be wrong but I don't see it on their site either. Trijicon offers sights, but they are not drop in, you have to send the gun in and it's $$$$$$. (half the cost of the gun or more) The only others I have seen are "Williams Firesights" and they just look like gimmicky fiberoptics built into a sight that pick up a little more of the available light, not true tritium inserts that would glow in full darkness.

For some odd reason, the slide release is VERY tight when the gun is empty, put a full magazine in (preferrably snapcaps if not at the range) and it is very easy to thumb it. That said; it has loosened up after 1200 or so rounds even if empty.

Hope all that helps.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Pretty much says it all... however the "straight 8" kind of grows on you. Some of us have replaced the front sight because we haven't found the secret to keep from having it shoot low... you can check the issue with sights in the smithing section.

These guns are tight... not like many of the 1911 GI clones which are loose by design. Keep the gun clean and it should keep you safe whenever you need it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Since getting my PT145Pro I've taken it to the range once and I used the bulleye hold. my shots where dead on the 8" bulleye at 5 yards. This weekend, I'll have my targets at 7 and 10 yards. I only use bulleye targets at the range. I have followed the recommendations of the other PT145Pro owners with the straight eight sights and so far no problems with my shots going low or lower left. POA is POI for me with the Heini's. ;D

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gjk5 said:
I was not aware they offered night sights on the MilPros, I could be wrong but I don't see it on their site either.
You're right, I was thinking of another gun I'm also looking at (a PM9 as a pocket gun.) I'm still going w/ the 145, gonna get on in a week or two.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Keep in mind if you are trying to use the slide stop to drop the slide with an empty magazine, it is bearing against the magazine follower, which is being pushed up by the, somewhat stout, magazine spring. Removing the magazine, or when a full mag is in place, removes that upward pressure on the slide stop, so it should be much easier to depress.

FWIW

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good point...I forgot about that. Although, my Glock doesn't seem as as hard to close when empty. Anyway, hope to have a new 145 in a few weeks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
exprt9 said:
Since getting my PT145Pro I've taken it to the range once and I used the bulleye hold. my shots where dead on the 8" bulleye at 5 yards. This weekend, I'll have my targets at 7 and 10 yards. I only use bulleye targets at the range. I have followed the recommendations of the other PT145Pro owners with the straight eight sights and so far no problems with my shots going low or lower left. POA is POI for me with the Heini's. ;D
Could you explain more about the Bulleye hold?

·
Premium Member
785 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Bullseye shooters of old use a 6 o'clock hold where the round bullseye sits on top of the sights, but the bullets point of impact (POI) would be the center of the bullseye, some inches above the actual point of aim (POA).

A dead-on hold means you put the center of the bullseye on top of your sights, and the bullets impact the center of the bullseye, so the bullets' point of impact (POI) equals the actual point of aim (POA).

The Taurus sights are meant for POI to equal POA at 25 yards.

·
32,613 Posts
There's also the trick of using the sights as a standard type and ignore the dots altogether. A little sight black over the dots is all it takes. However I would try looking at how you grip the gun and other factors first before considering this as a final solution.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts