Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
8,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a couple of recent surprises for me:

I've been loading Berrys plated in multiple calibers, one of my favorite uses is in 44mag/special. My previous 44 caliber bullets from them topped out at 1500FPS. My newest box rates it up to 1850 FPS. Holy carps batman..I have been using a load the runs 1350 out of my Bull and 1150 out of my tracker. Got an overpriced bottle of 2400 coming in and will have fun loading for summer fun.

I have run about 25,000 rounds through my Lee classic turret over the last three years, and my ratchet insert fell out of the clamp. The press wouldn't index. No problem I took it apart and lightly super glued the ratchet to one side of the clamp, re-assembled and works great. But got me to thinking I should probably order a few press parts, including a new ratchet and clamp. So I went over to Lee's website and ordered some parts:

SKUProduct
Item price​
QuantityTotalWeight
BP2889A​
P ARM ASSM SMALL
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.13 lbs​
BP2889B​
P ARM ASSM LARGE
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.13 lbs​
BP3127​
PLASTIC CAP
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.01 lbs​
TF3566​
AUTO INDEX CLAMP
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.02 lbs​
TF3567​
SQUARE RATCHET
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.01 lbs​
TP2673​
SQ INDEX ROD LONG
$0.00​
1​
$0.00​
0.09 lbs​

Subtotal:$0.00
Shipping cost:$10.84
Total:$10.840.39 lbs

So all the parts were free, only had to pay shipping. Way to go Lee!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Never much cared for plated bullets because, up until now, you couldn't crimp 'em OR drive them very fast AND, from my experience, they were almost as expensive as bulk jacketed pistol bullets.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Administrator
18,185 Posts
Interesting! I regularly use Berry's Plated Bullets in 9mm, .38 Special, and .45 ACP. My Berry's 9mm 124 grain Plated Flat Point load does 1120 fps from the barrel of my Taurus PT92 or any of my Tanfoglio Cz Clones. I really don't need it to go any faster. Wondering what has changed.

Their upgaded .358 158 grain Flat Point might be useful in the .357 Magnum.

·
Administrator
35,568 Posts
Never much cared for plated bullets because, up until now, you couldn't crimp 'em OR drive them very fast AND, from my experience, they were almost as expensive as bulk jacketed pistol bullets.
Man, that's not my experience at all. In what I've seen, plated bullets are way cheaper than jacketed bullets, and plated bullets are cheaper still. Either way, I'm glad to see Berry's upping their game !

·
Registered
541 Posts
Why can't you crimp them? I always do.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I've had the copper plate separate from the lead as the bullet transitions from the cylinder to the forcing cone on a revolver. 1st time it happened to me I couldn't figure out what that chunk of funny looking metal was stuck in the forcing cone. That was years ago so maybe they're making them better now but I was always able to pick up bulk jacketed bullets for very close to what the plated ones were selling for so I gave up on buying those things unless that was all that was available.

·
Registered
36,790 Posts
Interesting, I have used various plated projectiles from Ranier, Berry, Extreme over the past several years, they will take all the FPS that i need (or can muster) in standard pistol calibers (including the 38 Super).
I also crimp them using the Lee Factory crimp die to good success, course I also use this on my Jacketed and solid copper projectiles as well.
I have gone to the Coated projectiles in the last say 6-8 months and honestly they perform just as well as the Plated or jacketed, and for you speed freaks i think they are rated about 2000 FPS or so.
for me the plated was about 60% the cost of jacketed and the coated is about 60% the cost of the plated.
MY problem is that i can't seem to get them to group????
Elite Match -7.JPG

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, glad to see that you have good luck with them but I just don't like 'em. Even the copper wash on them is softer than on jacketed & tends to copper foul the barrel more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts