Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While my 24/7 Pro 45 is home (in Miami) being fixed, I'm spending some time here and elsewhere researching compact and sub-compact 45 caliber handguns. The 24/7 is great in an IWB setup, but there are times when I wear a suit & would prefer an ankle carry, and it is really too large. Of the pile of pistols I've looked at, a couple of oddballs no longer in production (Firestorm Mini Compact 45, the DA model, not the 1911, and the Charles Daly DDA 10-45) were interesting, but of course in addition to just finding the gun to buy, getting extra mags and parts would be problematic. The PT145 or possibly 745 looks like the best fit for what I'm considering. I like my 24/7, which was purchased after similar exhaustive research a couple of years ago.

First question- Does anyone ankle carry the 145 or 745? Any thoughts?

Second question- I read the Gunblast review of the 145, and he shot 45 GAP ammo through it with no problems.
Pasted from the Gunblast review said:
Note that the Speer ammo tested is the short .45 GAP cartridge, which this pistol is not meant to use. I tested it out of curiosity, and it functioned perfectly through the Taurus.
I have not looked up the cartridge specs, but it was interesting to read this. Is this a situation similar to the 38/357? I know the GAP case is shorter, as we compared my 230 FMJ ACP rounds to a GAP round when I qualified this month. I have to qualify annually, and where I do so will provide ammo for the agency's duty gun. When I retired, this was a 40, but now it is a 45 GAP. I'm very frugal, so the idea of not having to pay for 50 rounds appeals to me. I would not plan on carrying GAP ammo.

Thanks for any advice & experience.

·
Registered
5,348 Posts
I personally wouldn't use the .45 GAP cartridge in a pistol chambered for the .45 ACP. At the very least, you would likely have head-spacing issues. BTW, if I were looking at the choices you have mentioned for your next .45, I would go with the PT145. However, if it had the Heinie straight eight sights, I would ditch them for something else from Williams, or Truglo, etc.

·
Registered
29,899 Posts
The PT145 Millennium Pro is one of my most oft carried compacts.

It offers all the advantages of a single stack platform, but with a 10+1 capacity.

With the plethora of OWB, IWB, pocket holsters and fanny pack options I see no need for ankle carry.

Besides, here in hot and humid Florida I wear shorts most of the time off duty, and ankle carry would look silly.

The .45 ACP and shorter .45 GAP both head space of the cartridge "mouth", so one shouldn't be able to fire a GAP in an ACP "unless" the case rim is just being held by a heavy duty extractor.

In which case it might work; but fugal or not, I wouldn't bet my life on it's reliability.

With semiautos, it's best to shoot what they're chambered for. Wally World and other stores have reasonably priced bulk .45 ACP ammo that should work within the budget on one on a fixed income.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. It struck me as odd him using the GAP in the ACP- not something I would have wanted to try without doing a lot of research. I know back in the day people (including my agency) qualified with the cheaper 38 special vs. the 357.

I like IWB, but when wearing a suit where I do, sometimes I have to take off the jacket, so that's not an option. I don't wear shorts here- probably due to a lot of motorcycle riding. I've never been a fan of fanny packs, and this would likewise look funny with a suit IMO. The 145 is too large for a pocket holster from what I've read.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
The PT145 is really too large for pocket carry. I pocket carried the SR9c sometimes and it, too, is a bit too large for the front pockets. IMO, the 709/740 & LC9 are the upper limit for pocket carry (if you do have big pockets :)). The TCP and LCP are excellent for ankle carry.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't want to have to buy different caliber ammo (usually buy in quantity), so I am looking at a sub-compact 45 like the 145 since my other two are also 45 ACP.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
I tried the PT145 in the front pocket several times with an Uncle Mike's pocket holster. It didn't work due to the long grip and the beefy thickness. The PT745 might work better for pocket carry (I don't know as I don't have the PT745).

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Why not get a suckable IWB holster and tuck your button down shirt in over it. Just yank your shirt tail if you ever need to employ your weapon. If you wear a somewhat roomy button down, you should be able to "fluff" the bottom enough to hide your gun.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Why not get a suckable IWB holster and tuck your button down shirt in over it. Just yank your shirt tail if you ever need to employ your weapon. If you wear a somewhat roomy button down, you should be able to "fluff" the bottom enough to hide your gun.
That's a possibility, but I'm not as roomy in that area as I used to be. :(

Edit- Suckable? I don't want a holster that sucks! :D

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have an AMT 45 backup. I got a good one; shoots JHP rounds all day with no problem. It's picky with FMJ rounds though. It's definately not meant to be a range gun or a precision shooter, but it's great for concealed carry. I put a Pachmayer grip sleeve on it and carry it in a Turkey Creek IWB holster. I'm 6-1, 185 lbs and it's invisible in T-Shirt and shorts. I carry it on my nightly walks and every where else when I'm not at work. It's a little heavy for pockets unless you're wearing a good belt. Not a high capacity by any means, but the mags are small enough to carry a few extra. No safety other than a heavy DA trigger pull. I got mine on an auctuion site for $320 shipped.

Weight: 25 oz loaded
Caliber: .45 ACP
Length: 5.75"
Width: 1"
Height: 4.1"
Barrel: 2.5 inch
Action: Double Action Only
Magazine: 5 + 1
Sights: Gutter
Stainless steel

·
Registered
327 Posts
The PT 745 is easier for ankle or pocket carry. The PT 145 is a little too big for that. A little less ammunition in the 745, though, but its magazines are thin and you could always carry 1 or 2 spares.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I think a .45ACP is a bit big, even in the single stack models for ankle carry just because of the weight factor. As much as I like .45 weapons, they do have some heft to them. However, you may want to consider this for ankle or pocket carry. I consider it more of a back up weapon since it only shoots two rounds but it would be your call. Heizer Defense - Creators of DoubleTap™ It is supposed to be ready for sale in about 4 to 6 weeks.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PT145 but I wouldn't want to be swinging it on my ankle!

Reactions: scalphunter

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm with sgtsandman, a .45ACP is too large for ankle carry. Best bet for ankle carry is small .380 or .38 +P snubbie or maybe a .357 snubbie with aluminum or poly frame.

·
Premium Member
16,168 Posts
I'd suggest a tuckable IWB like Theis Holsters. I usually go untucked, but when I do have to tuck I've never had a problem with printing. And they are very comfortable sitting or standing at just past the 3 oclock position (i.e. front/top of gun is positioned just past 3 oclock). JAT

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
pt145--but for tighter clothing, busness suit, diner etc, m85-38

·
Registered
202 Posts
Back in my plain-clothes days, I tried several different types of ankle holsters (including an expensive state-of-the-art), and I hated them all. Nothing beats a good OWB "pancake" holster, IMHO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I agree, and never liked ankle holsters either. These days I have no badge to be officially worn next to the gun, and open carry did not pass the legislature. :(

I had a bad experience with my repaired 24/7 today- a small piece broke off from inside the slide after 24 rounds, so I'm a little bitter at the brand right now. I know the quality must have improved since 2006, or maybe my gun was just a lemon. I'll likely feel better about it in a few weeks.

Reactions: gale155

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree, and never liked ankle holsters either. These days I have no badge to be officially worn next to the gun, and open carry did not pass the legislature. :(

I had a bad experience with my repaired 24/7 today- a small piece broke off from inside the slide after 24 rounds, so I'm a little bitter at the brand right now. I know the quality must have improved since 2006, or maybe my gun was just a lemon. I'll likely feel better about it in a few weeks.
That's too bad. As much as I like these Mil Pro's, I've got to say that the only brand I trust completely out-of-the-box is Glock.

·
Moderator in Memorium 1940-2014
13,540 Posts
You might want to consider a Kahr CW45.
Not as expensive as most of the other Kahrs and it weighs about 19oz empty. Single-stack magazine, 6+1 and although it's DAO, the trigger only requires about six lbs of pressure.
The PT145 is a reliable pistol for most people, but fully loaded with 10+1, it might be too heavy for ankle carry.
And, if I recall, the empty weight of the PT745 is very close to the weight of the PT145.

Although a PT845 is the most accurate gun I own, I wanted a .45ACP I could carry as easily as my PT709. The Kahr CW45 was the answer.

·
Super Moderator
19,742 Posts
I work in an office environment and have to dress semi-formally for a lot of business meetings and I carry MilPros. I have both the PT140 and PT145. Use Crossbreed Minituck w/o any problems. Copied and pasted my response to a recent thread re: carry and clothing below.

I use IWB Minituck for my MilPros but always with the shirt tucked in. In the fall/winter I usually have a sweater or jacket to cover and in the spring/summer I wear a pull over vest of light material (think sweater vest but thinner) -over a knit or polo shirt - which I pull down to cover the gun grip sticking out of the waist band. Carry at the 4 o'clock position.

I tried tucked shirts over the IWB weapon but got tired of retucking my shirt all day when my britches rode down/the shirt rode up throughout the day. And it does take an extra second to draw from a tucked garmet - for me at least.

I also wear suspenders to keep my trousers/jeans/etc from drooping during the day and the pull over sweater/vest keeps those concealed too. And I manage to pull this off even in an office setting where I am wearing khakis, dress/semi-formal clothing frequently and even blends in with business meetings I have to attend all the time. All in all, very practical and, most importantly, very comfortable for all day carry for me.

Oh, and in Ga OC is legal but lets just say that OC probably wouldn't go over very well at my office (even tho guns are not prohibited) and given all the business meetings I have to attend. Been carrying this way for 3 years now and no one is the wiser . . .

Good luck on your quest.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts