Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the newest info on the 809 model pistol to be released...

It is derived from the successful “Taurus OSS” pistol we designed for the U.S. Armed Forces, but adds an external hammer that has been asked for by so many of our valued customers.

Strike Two" Capability
The Taurus 800 Series is now ready with “Strike Two” capability. If you have had a hard primer and the gun misfi res, the 800 Series senses this and automatically gives you instant “Strike Two” capability by resetting the trigger for automatic double action re-strike. No need to do anything else, simply pull the trigger.
It appears to be a reworking of the 24/7 OSS with an external hammer. The exciting part is that it will be built around a familiar double stack magazine with the new addition of the decocker. Since the basic design has already been worked out... we should expect to see a new series of 800 model Taurus'... the 809, 840 and 845... all built on the capacities we are familiar with in the 24/7 models. The more I look at this the more I think Taurus is going to have a "win-win" senario with this pistol.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That really is a beautiful gun, who knows maybe they will make an 857 (357Sig). If they dont I think I might get the 45. Nice post Cimarron

·
Registered
8,150 Posts
I've already made the decision awhile back when the first information regarding these pistols was released, that'd I'd pick one up when they're out on the market.
:D

·
Registered
58 Posts
Taurus_9mm said:
I've already made the decision awhile back when the first information regarding these pistols was released, that'd I'd pick one up when they're out on the market.
:D

+1

·
Registered
123 Posts
Chef said:
Nice. When will the 845 hit the market?
I called Taurus on this myself. They said it would be out in Spring of next year and that the OSS would be out at the end of this year.

I had my heart set on an OSS, but honestly after looking at this model I think I'm going to wait and get a 9mm in the 900 series. The more I look at it, the more it seems like the perfect pistol to me. With the major design bugs already worked out in this model it just seems like the way to go.

·
Registered
22 Posts
SA/DA? Sights?

Any specifications (weight, action, sights, etc.) available ? Any plans for a sub-compact version?

The Taurus website doesn't give much info on the 809, other than it is "modeled after" the OSS 24/7.

The website mentions "second strike" capability, which could imply (or not) that it is SA/DA like the current PRO models.

No mention of sights (Heine 2-dot or ???).

Personally, I like and prefer the exposed and visible hammer on the 809. (Maybe Taurus took a look at CZ75 series sales?).

·
Registered
123 Posts
ToroTriggerman said:
Any specifications (weight, action, sights, etc.) available ? Any plans for a sub-compact version?

The Taurus website doesn't give much info on the 809, other than it is "modeled after" the OSS 24/7.

The website mentions "second strike" capability, which could imply (or not) that it is SA/DA like the current PRO models.

No mention of sights (Heine 2-dot or ???).

Personally, I like and prefer the exposed and visible hammer on the 809. (Maybe Taurus took a look at CZ75 series sales?).
no other stats other than what's on the site.

I'd bet that they're calling SA/DA "second strike" now as a marketing thing. The exposed hammer is nice as well as safety and decocker.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I plan on picking one up when they come out but Im still not to crazy about the glock/sigma style take down :-\

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
As the OSS is a DA/SA operation handgun, it seems to me that the PT809 would be also, with that exposed hammer, decocker, and all, but also would be capable of Cocked and Locked operation the way the PT900 series is.

As for the "Second Strike" capability, any conventional DA/SA pistol does that anyways. Sounds like "Marketing Hype" to me!

For me, it's between this PT809 and a 24/7 Pro in 9mm, and I'm leaning towards the PT809, as I tend to prefer the traditional DA/SA action. Then again, I could get both!

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Again the 24/7 is NOT da/sa it IS sa/da

It is always a single action pull Unless it fails to fire a round and then it goes to a double action pull.

da/sa means you have a choice if you want the first round fired to be in double action mode which is not a choice on the 24/7

·
Administrator
18,052 Posts
MPanova said:
Again the 24/7 is NOT da/sa it IS sa/da

It is always a single action pull Unless it fails to fire a round and then it goes to a double action pull.

da/sa means you have a choice if you want the first round fired to be in double action mode which is not a choice on the 24/7
On the regular 24/7 Pro, true! On the 24/7 OSS, not, if you decock by activating the Safety/Decocker up, for a DA first shot.

The PT809 Safety/Decocker appears to operate the way the PT900 series pistols do, as there is a noticable relief cut in the frame for the Safety/Decocker to move downward. I would assume that one could also manually cock the PT809 for an SA first shot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts