1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
17,333 Posts
In the end....Bear Burgers, hold the cheese on mine.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
Registered
340 Posts
The 460 is a great gun. I only reload the light stuff, though. 200 grains for 2350 FPS.

The Ruger Alaskan is my Go To, if I wanted to carry a gun, or my Toklat in 454 Casull. I’ll take 6 rounds over five any day.

That’s the negatives of my 5 shot 500 and 460 XVR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
35,342 Posts
The 460 is a great gun. I only reload the light stuff, though. 200 grains for 2350 FPS.

The Ruger Alaskan is my Go To, if I wanted to carry a gun, or my Toklat in 454 Casull. I’ll take 6 rounds over five any day.

That’s the negatives of my 5 shot 500 and 460 XVR

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
But, it only took that guy one shot. :D

I don't have anything bigger than a .45 Colt Ruger Blackhawk which will kill anything I'll run in to in Texas.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like revolvers. I like medium length barrels on revolvers. I like .460 caliber 'cause you can choot .460, .454 Casull, and .45 Colt. I'd like to own one, some fine day.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
I really like the 460XVR, and would buy one in a snap if I had the money and Smith & Wesson made one with a 6.5" half-lug barrel.

On-Topic: Do love this little gem from the comments section...

The bear stopped before being shot; the threat stopped.

According to the reading, the armed hiker had opportunity enough to retreat to safety, at least to safety behind those carrying bear spray. As the man stated, his shots killed three bears, animals in natural habitat acting as animals will. Invading the spaces of a wild animal, then killing the creature for acting normally is inexcusable.

One cannot deny that not trekking into the wild removes the threat of attack from wild animals, almost entirely. It also removes the need or justification for carrying a handgun with the force of a canon in those places not ventured. Indeed, a handgun of such calibre as reported can only be used to kill, not to “stop the threat”. Our erstwhile gun owner couldn’t stop the threat of bear attack without killing the bear.

“The Great Outdoors” should be left to nature to manage. Humans have enough on their plates to manage their households, let alone a wilderness.
It's funny, I am typically a very live-and-let-live kinda guy. I avoid killing anything including insects unless I absolutely have to, but even I think this post is asinine. Bears are EXTREMELY fast and had the shooter hesitated to pull that trigger, then he would likely be dead right now, because that bear could have cleared the gap between them in an instant and swatted that man upside the head, likely killing him in a single blow.
As for Bear Spray, I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in it, and frankly don't care enough about whatever savage, heartless, killing machine of a bear thought it was necessary to attack little old me to avoid blowing it straight to Hell.
I have no sympathy for an animal as big and as powerful as a bear who mercilessly slaughters creatures who have done nothing at all to threaten its offspring but happen to appear within 100 feet of them, I don't view that as a peaceful creature, nor does it strike me as a mother just looking out for its young, but rather as a savage beast just looking for an excuse to kill.

Reactions: FreeInAZ

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
If I lived in Wyoming or some other north-Pacific state, I'd definitely own a big bore magnum. However, my Marlin 30-30 or 30.06 would do the trick there as well. I agree with NativeTexan, there are calibers that will take care of anything I happen to come across here, which i why I feel pretty well protected with a 357 magnum in the wild.

·
Registered
6,735 Posts
If I lived in Wyoming or some other north-Pacific state, I'd definitely own a big bore magnum. However, my Marlin 30-30 or 30.06 would do the trick there as well. I agree with NativeTexan, there are calibers that will take care of anything I happen to come across here, which i why I feel pretty well protected with a 357 magnum in the wild.
Other than snakes, wild boar or armadillo with leprosy are about the most dangerous things you will run across in Texas aren't they? Maybe an irritated badger?

·
Administrator
35,560 Posts
Other than snakes, wild boar or armadillo with leprosy are about the most dangerous things you will run across in Texas aren't they? Maybe an irritated badger?
Wild boars, maybe the odd mountain lion if you're in the right (or wrong) part of west Texas.....in my neighborhood, you see coyotes and even bobcats running around neighborhoods. The news says to call animal control and just talk nice to it while you're waiting. Yeah sure. :guns:

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
I like revolvers. I like medium length barrels on revolvers. I like .460 caliber 'cause you can choot .460, .454 Casull, and .45 Colt. I'd like to own one, some fine day.

Only problem with those big bores is it's pretty much a one-shot deal 'coz if you don't kill it with the first shot...:unsure:...it'll prob'ly eat on ya' while you're pickin' yourself up offa' the ground.

·
Super Moderator
13,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Only problem with those big bores is it's pretty much a one-shot deal 'coz if you don't kill it with the first shot...:unsure:...it'll prob'ly eat on ya' while you're pickin' yourself up offa' the ground.
When I lived in Alaska in the 70s and 80s, the old Sourdoughs said to carry a .44 magnum. If attacked by a grizzly, fire five rounds from your six shot revolver, but only five rounds. If the bear was still alive, use the last round on yourself.

They were not entirely joking.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, I know from experience that the baddest animal in the desert is a wild Burro. Don't know about Texas as I was a bit further west, but a wild Burro is feared by all animals in the desert. I have watched a mountain lion, badger, and a bunch of coyotes all running as fast as they can getting away from Mr. Jack. Ranchers put Burros with their livestock for a reason, they will take out predators. Now I doubt they will scare off a Grizzly, but smaller predators do not mess with Jack, well maybe once, if they are young.

DOnkeykillscoyote.jpg

·
Registered
345 Posts
There is no way to judge the situation. The facts are scant. When a female bear stops in a charge and stands tall it usually means her charge was defensive. She just wanted you to leave her and her cubs. Of course there is no hard fast rule to follow Judgement has to be instantaneaous in such a moment.

One mistake the fellow made was to keep movjng while the ones with bear spray bear spray fell behind. That was just plain stupid. Bear spray would most likely have ended the episode. I have used in on black bears and I can tell you it stops a charge in seconds. I have seen videos park rangers us it on browns and grizzlies. It drives them off. It is by all account more effective than a gun because it does not require great accuracy. So the fellow put there first line of defense in the rear. That, as I said, was stupid.

As texastaurusguy wrote above it is all about shot placement. Since I have been hiking in black bear country for going on 50 years I have done enormous research on bear attacks from all types of bears. One account I read that is well documented is of a Native American woman who killed a grizzly with a 22 rifle. She knew to shoot at the side of the bear’s head where the skull is thinnest. She killed the bear. The bear’s skull and a photo of her with the dead bear is on display in a Canadian Museum. Shot placement matters.

i would urge anyone trekking in any kind of bear country to have bear spray. The good thing about it is that it works on all mammals: wolves, bears, coyotes, cougare, and humans.

Reactions: Qwiks draw

·
32,704 Posts
In "my neighborhood" coyotes, raccoons, and an occasional ,big, big cat (read that as puma), are what anyone faces.

If I live in the neck of the woods where the big beasties roam (read that as outdoors anywhere ) :) then I would consider something bigger. My .44 Specials and .41 magnum have that covered.

Just as an example: https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=18

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=17

Those would or do fill the need I may come against and I need nothing more.

If I were to go against something needing more thumping my preference would be a .480 Ruger.

·
Banned
4,262 Posts
I really like the 460XVR, and would buy one in a snap if I had the money and Smith & Wesson made one with a 6.5" half-lug barrel.

On-Topic: Do love this little gem from the comments section...

It's funny, I am typically a very live-and-let-live kinda guy. I avoid killing anything including insects unless I absolutely have to, but even I think this post is asinine. Bears are EXTREMELY fast and had the shooter hesitated to pull that trigger, then he would likely be dead right now, because that bear could have cleared the gap between them in an instant and swatted that man's upside the head, likely killing him in a single blow.
As for Bear Spray, I'm sorry, but I have absolutely no faith whatsoever in it, and frankly don't care enough about whatever savage, heartless, killing machine of a bear thought it was necessary to attack little old me to avoid blowing it straight to Hell.
I have no sympathy for an animal as big and as powerful as a bear who mercilessly slaughters creatures who have done nothing at all to threaten its offspring but happen to appear within 100 feet of them, I don't view that as a peaceful creature, nor does it strike me as a mother just looking out for its young, but rather as a savage beast just looking for an excuse to kill.
These types of *anti humans in the wild* posters are well... either living in denial or their mom's basements. I have lived in major metropolitan areas and seen: coyotes, foxes, deer, hawks, wild dogs, wild hogs, etc, etc... and for a time in the metro Detroit area there were confirmed sightings of a panther... so we humans may encounter wildlife just about anywhere.

Now bears are cousins to dogs ...that can not only run at dog speeds, they can: climb trees, swim, and figure out how to open/break many things including doors/windows. So while I don't go out of my way to kill things that aren't trying to kill me... I will, if they are whether they're 2, 4, 6, 8 or no legged critters.

;)

·
Registered
19,306 Posts
1 - 20 of 110 Posts