Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of one of the many black Friday deals on the Taurus G2C's. I got mine from Brownell's and using both codes got it shipped to my FFL for $188. Add $15 4473 fee and total investment is $203. I had one of the early G2C's and enjoyed it a lot. One of my highest ranked review posts are of a battle between the G2C and a Glock 19. Close to 18,000 views so far. But I was still buying/reviewing/selling pistols by the scores and didn't keep it. But as I lug around my PPQ this winter, I started thinking about a smaller/lighter solution. Should I get a Hellcat, a 365XL or get the original micro compact game changer the Taurus G2C.
P1030680b.jpg
That's right - the G2C changed the game by showing the gun community, you can make a small hi cap pistol well and not charge the consumer a high price. 12+1 was not generally an available choice in the micro compact model range until the G2 hit the scene. The G2C further refined the G2 and a star was born.
P1030679b.jpg
Here is my G2C after slightly over 200 rounds of mixed loads today. Wear zones have expected finish rub, but not unusual at all. I had no failures today and ejection was consistent at about 8-10 feet behind and right in a nice easy to fleece pile. Even my light hand loads running at est. 780FPS, cycled fine, ejected not quite as far, but were accurate. In fact once I got a feel for the pistol and sites, it just became one big hole on the target. My trigger pull is a consistent 4.5lbs, and is smooth when shooting. I do not concern myself with the trigger safety blade hitch, as it is not present when actually firing this pistol.
P1030682b.jpg
Not going to go into all the specs as there are so many reviews out there that do a great job explaining the features and facts. Just going to talk about shooting impressions:
First 50 or so rounds were left about 2 inches. As I shot more, between the pistol breaking in and I becoming more familiar with the recoil and sites the hits began to move to the center. This target was shot at 15 yards during a cool,cloudy, blustery day. As I said just one big hole in the center. One of the mags is a bit difficult to eject, the other is average. So I will do a little filing on the failing mag cutouts to resolve that issue. But overall just as I remembered this pistol can shoot and is accurate. Recoil is - well, just not a deal. Not too snappy, grip textures are perfect, sights are cheap but usable. The slide finish is not the greatest, but for a $200 pistol what can I say. G3 magazines work in the G2C. Also I have read the G3 slide will fit and operate on the G2C and visa versa. I will be verifying that in a few weeks. Thank you for reading this review, if not already a TaurusArmed.net subscriber please look us up and come by for a visit.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
The only swap I have seen was a G3 barrel in a G2c
How would that work well? The bell at the end of the longer barrel wouldn't be able to lock firmly into the slide. I'd expect target precision to be all over the place.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
467 Posts
Looks good, My wife enjoys my ruger ec9s I was thinking of picking my self up a g2c. I have a friend who bought one and did not like i I may pick it up as my carry gun. Have you had any issues with it as of yet. Love the ragged hole lol

·
8,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good, My wife enjoys my ruger ec9s I was thinking of picking my self up a g2c. I have a friend who bought one and did not like i I may pick it up as my carry gun. Have you had any issues with it as of yet. Love the ragged hole lol
This is my second G2C. The first had over 500 rounds before I traded it off, it was a review gun - no problems, just traded it to get another review gun. This second one is at 350 rounds. Both had no failures and were equally as accurate. For the money the G2C simply can't be beat.

·
Super Moderator
36,040 Posts
If it's a lightly used one, score it for a few points off the best price out there. I like mine a lot and they are close to being the perfect carry pistol..in 9mm.

Reactions: silverstring

·
Registered
120 Posts
Technically the s&w m&p c&mpact gen 1 also held 12+1 in 9mm. The upsized the gen2 model.
Regardless I'm sure the g2c model is great, my only complaint is that the pt111 mill pro g2 I have is a rust bucket not suitable for CCW.
These pistols are great and reliable, they need to improve the materials and make something that's competitively rust proof!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've found I've got to wipe my "blued" PT111 2G more than once a week with some kind of silicone to keep rust away.
I liked the look better than the SS model but didn't think about maintenance. I'm a land surveyor working most days outside. Dealing with rain, sleet, snow and most of all sweat seems to be a part time job. That's my biggest complaint wit my 709, PT111 and 738 is the finishes. This time of year I'm carrying my Ruger SR40 in stainless and I still wipe it down once a month but that's better then every couple of days. I've heard Taurus has changed their finishes so I hope that helps.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I got my G2C on special around Christmas at $185, with the $25 Taurus rebate putting it further down to $165. Can't beat that deal with a stick. Even with changing the RSA, guide sleeve, striker springs and adding fiber optic sights, I'm still under $300 on this gun.

The one thing that got to me watching the reviews on YouTube was all the videos that listed the external safety as a reason to not buy the g2c. A gun review declaring additional safety as a reason to not buy. It just struck me as repugnant. I would have said retarded, but I can't use retarded anymore, it's not polite. But if I could, it would be the kind of retarded that upsets people that retarded is used as a synonym for stupid. Too much safety on a Gun- is there such a thing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I bought the G2C in part BECAUSE of the frame safety.

That also led me to buy the BG380 instead of other pocket .380s.

All of the weapons in my carry rotation have frame safeties ---709, BG380, Shield .45, and the G2C when it's broken in, because I'd rather lose a full 2 seconds on the draw stroke than be on some YouTube "glock-leg' video......or...worse.

When weapons are concerned, Safety is my default.

I have deep love in my heart for all of the members of the shooting community, but I fail to understand how somebody can tell me that you can overcome the lack of a frame safety through training.....learn to shoot a weapon with a horrible trigger through......training....but reflexively snicking off the frame safety cannot be trained for.

But then, I don't really like to appendix carry either.
That's just me being me again....and there's still important stuff down there I use every now and then.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts