Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one is better for self-defanse?

That was a joke. (Dont hate me) What i'm really looking for is experience of the difference in recoil btw the PT111 and the PT145. Are they very different? +p+ , super magnum and subsonics aside, i'm asking about standard pressure loads that you typically shoot. Thanks

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't have an answer to that, but will watch for others to post something. I have the .45, and SWMBO wants to try out a 9mm. I was thinking for her a .380 spl, but she helped facilitate the 1911 for me, so whatever she wants is OK by me. I would also like some recoil comparisons. On the one hand, the 1911 is a bigger gun, but shoots a larger round; while the opposite is true for the 9mm. I dunno if the smaller physical size of the gun makes for more recoil with the smaller round. I think a 1911 in 9mm would be too large for her hand to comfortably hold.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a side by side comparison of the 2 at academy and dimensionally they are very similar. I'm wondering if the lower pressure of the 45 offsets the heavier bullets as it relates to perceived recoil.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Which one is better for self-defanse?

That was a joke. (Dont hate me) What i'm really looking for is experience of the difference in recoil btw the PT111 and the PT145. Are they very different? +p+ , super magnum and subsonics aside, i'm asking about standard pressure loads that you typically shoot. Thanks
I don't have experience with those two particular models, but I have read and found it to be true for myself, that (all other things being equal) a 9mm and .45 ACP are roughly the same with respect to recoil... but in different ways. I think the best way I've seen it described is that a 9mm is a "snap" and a .45 ACP is more of a "push." One is not any worse than the other, IMO. When I got my PT1911 in .45 ACP, I was amazed by how manageable the gun was, especially considering the size of the projectile it was slinging down range. My best point of reference for personal comparison was my Ruger P85 chambered in 9mm, which is a significantly "weighty" gun as well...not quite the chunk of steel that a 1911 is, but by no means a light gun. I had no problems adapting to the .45 recoil.

Not sure if that helps, but I figured I would share my experience with the two calibers.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
PCS01 is pretty much correct...the recoil of the 9mm is much sharper being a high pressure round (35,000 psi) compared to the .45 Auto which pushes a much larger projectile at a much lower pressure (21,500 psi). The recoil pulse of the 9mm is much sharper and shorter in duration than the .45 which is heavier but longer in duration. I find the .45 Auto recoil easier to handle in a same weight pistol, but it really is up to the individual shooter's sensitivity.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shoot and reload both calibers. Im not very recoil sensitive so im trying to think thru getting one or the other for the wifey. Im leaning toward the larger bore but not at the risk of causing her to develop a flinch. This may be all academic as i can load light for caliber and mild loads for range day. Warm factory SD loads for carry are acceptable cuz if she ever needs it she wont even feel the recoil. I will also add that she is not an inexperienced shooter but still not considered a high volume shooter.

·
Registered
429 Posts
PCS01 is pretty much correct...the recoil of the 9mm is much sharper being a high pressure round (35,000 psi) compared to the .45 Auto which pushes a much larger projectile at a much lower pressure (21,500 psi). The recoil pulse of the 9mm is much sharper and shorter in duration than the .45 which is heavier but longer in duration. I find the .45 Auto recoil easier to handle in a same weight pistol, but it really is up to the individual shooter's sensitivity.
Thanks...you care to add info about .38 spl to that?? I don't want the missus to be afraid of the recoil...she's shot my 12-ga (once!! never again thank you very much!) and my air-pistol a few times. She came up out of the blue and told me she wanted a 9mm (after I got my .45), not really understanding what she was saying. If she's going to be my new best shooting buddy, I want her to enjoy it and WANT to go to the range.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
You know how us macho men are, you have to shoot a bazooka one-handed to feel recoil.:D

Actually, I've compared my Glock 17 to my Glock 21, the 21 has a little more recoil, but not intolerable.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Its not a macho thing. She's fired my 454 already but it was too much for her. I want to accommodate her comfort levels without compromising effective or proven calibers, however you choose to define that. Sure the 25 acp is fun but the reality is its seriously lacking in stopping power.

If i could drop coin on both today it wouldnt be an issue. Im sure whichever way we go she will adapt. I may just be over thinking it.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Let her shoot both and decide.

As far as the .38 Special, max SAMMI pressure is 14,000 psi and 17,000 psi for +P, so it is relatively low pressure compared to the other two. If you keep the bullet weight down around 125 grains it is a lot softer shooting than the 9mm. One thing to remember though is that revolvers usually sit higher in the hand than autos so even though it will be softer recoil, it will have more perceived twisting in the hand from the torque of being further off axis.

·
Registered
612 Posts
reddmn - they're both 3.25" barrel, right? I had PT609, and think about same size. I just tried full-size 1911 in .45ACP the other day for the first time, and like others said, shooting that compared to my 809 was, just, different. More of a "push" on the 1911, and being all steel, I think that took some of the recoil. Wound up giving my daughter the 609 for Christmas and she liked it better than a 4" sigma I offered (maybe due to the DAO). No expert, but just adding my .02.

·
Registered
14,823 Posts
I have a PT145 .45 and my son has a Ruger SR9c 9 mm.

I do not think of either one as having harsh recoil and both are very manageable.

I have a Ruger SP101 in .357 magnum. When you shoot it with full house magnums, well, it doesn't hurt, but you do know you shot something.

The same loads in my Taurus Model 65 .357 magnum seem much lighter.

It is all in your perception.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Wow, different preceived results. I'd have to say the recoil on both are the same. Why do I say that, because the frames are different on both guns. I notice little recoil on my PT-92 but more on my CZ 75 P-01, lighter gun shorter barrel (3.8 inch vs 5.0 inch). The only comparison I can make that makes sense is the CZ 75 P-01 to my Bersa Thunder 45 Ultra Compact Pro, both are about the same size with the Bersa being 1/2 inch shorter on the pistol grip and the Bersa being 1/4 inch wider, both are about the same weight and about the same size barrel CZ 3.8 inch, Bersa 3.6 inch. While the 9mm is leaving the barrel at a faster speed the 45 is pushing twice the weight in bullets.

Having fired both (not at the same time) my preceived results were pretty identical as to recoil.

Jim

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Let me just say this as a person married 26 years tomorrow. If the wife wants a 9mm...buy her a 9mm.

Im not pushing anything on her. She really doesnt have an opinion one way or the other. Im trying to mske an educated guess on where to start using recoil and control as a criteria and limiting variables by choosing 2 guns of relative size and weight. Sounds pretty cool, huh?

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Federal Hst:

45 ACP HST 230gr 404muz energy. 890fps

9mm HST 147 gr 326 muz energy 1000fps

there are endless comparisons - here's one pulled from the ranks comparing Federal fat loads.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Go ahead and get her the 9mm it will be good for protection and target shooting. My opinion of course.
That is currently what my wife shoots and she is not a very big women.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts