Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bug Out thread has resulted in my reassessing my Modern Sporting Rifle needs and desires. I recently acquired an expensive 5.56 upper with a 7" barrel and am not that impressed with it's operation and efficacy. It's installed on my PSA pistol (multi lower) complete lower which can also carry my 300 BLK 10" upper.

I also have the Hi-Point 995 TS which is the 9mm carbine and shoot that gun a lot. Fun, cheap and accurate but only permits 10 and 20 round Red Ball magazines. My thought is that the AR pistol caliber firearm will have a sustainable supply of parts and magazines versus the Hi-Point.

So questions revolve around:

Buy or build a 9mm AR upper to fit to my existing PSA lower? Recognizing the need for a magazine well adapter.

Look for a complete package, build or buy?

Carbine length or pistol length barrel?

Magazines available?

I recall discussions 4-5 years ago with folks building these (FKL & Greenwolf) and working to resolve feeding issues.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
My personal preference would to build the PCC based on a M4/AR15 lower with a carbine 9mm upper. After EOTWAWKI I would add a class 3 fire control group and a shorter 14" barrel. The M4/AR15 would allow me to change the caliber as necessity dictates... Glock type Mags as they exist everywhere and would fit my handgun of choice. The option of full-auto or 3 shot burst is more for the Psychological effect of deterrence and not a desire to waste ammo..

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Couple of things to consider.

AR15 lower can be used with multiple calibres. Though conversions for the 9mm/40SW can be troublesome.

Dedicated AR9/40 lowers designed to work with Glock magazines seem to work great with the Glock magazines. This gives you an option to run 33 round magazines in both your PCC and your Glocks with great confidence.

Now if you go with the AR15 platform you could also try the Endomags. They convert PMAGs to load 9mm and will run on either a Glock or Colt BCG. They are also not without flaws. I have some for my AR15 9mm PCC that "I" haven't used yet. I did lend them to my boss and he used them in his AR15 9mm PCP without any problems. I plan on using this just as a fun gun not a BUG OUT gun.

So, If I were to be building this as a BUG OUT gun I would want to use the platform that would give me the best reliability and compatibility. So that would be to build on a dedicated AR9/40 flatform and make sure that it runs on the Glock magazines/BCG.

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
My advice would be to stay away from magwell adapters. I just was never able to achieve what I considered an acceptable level of reliability and ended up buying a compatible dedicated 9mm lower to go with it.

Currently the issues, or questions, with an AR9 revolve around do you want to use Glock mags or Colt mags. Supposedly, the Glock mag AR9 is a more reliable design than the Colt mag design guns, but that has not been my experience, both have been very reliable, as long as you are not trying to run them through a magwell adapter. Colt mag guns will have last round bolt hold open. Most of the Glock Mag guns will not, and the ones that do require you use their upper and lower for last round hold open to work. AK rifles get along without this feature, and I really don't have a problem with it on my Glock Mag AR. In any case make sure your lower is compatible with your upper.

BCG is another area of concern. There is a difference between a BCG built for a Colt style mag and one built for a Glock mag. The best choice is to get a "hybrid" BCG that works with both. However, I have two of these hybrid BCGs built by different manufacturers, and one works fine with both AR9s and the other will only work with the Glock Mag. My advice is to make sure it works reliably with your AR9, and send it back for a refund if it doesn't. I sent my spintaprecision.com BCG back to them with a note that it was not working in my Colt Mag AR9, and they returned it to me with the note that they could find nothing out of spec with it. So I only use it in my Glock Mag AR9. Now, I have had both of these BCG for a number of years now, so hopefully some of the hybrid design details have been better worked out. Plus the newer BCG designs I have noticed use an AR type extractor. I think this is a better design, but I have not used one.

Buffer weight is another area where you will find a lot of variance between manufacturers. The lighter buffers fire faster and the heavier ones fire slower. I used one on the heavy end of the scale and found it was not as reliable as some of the lighter ones. I now use PSA 9mm buffers in both my AR9 and for me they work the best. I also use a standard carbine recoil spring and both my AR9s are set up around the use of NATO standard/SAMMI Plus P 9mm ammo.

My Colt EF9 model lower was made by Black Creek Precision of Jacksonville, FL and the upper was custom built by me with an Aero Precision slick (no forward assist but with dust cover) upper receiver, Strike Industries enhanced dust cover, and a Wilson 8.5" 9mm stainless steel barrel sitting under a 9" Aero Precision Quantum handguard that I do not recommend (very hard to properly clock and there is not a gas tube to deal with). The Glock Mag is a PSA PA-X9 billet 9mm lower with an Aero Precision slick upper, Strike Industries enhanced dust cover, 10.5" Ballistic Advantage stainless steel barrel with a Vector FF, lightweight 10" handguard. Both AR9s have aluminium flash cans I got from Rousch Industries off eBay, that sit under the handguard.

9mmARs.jpg

If you have any specific questions I will be glad to answer them.

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
^^ I started poking around at magwell adapters and the cheap one look cheap. The Stern Defense is probably the one to get, but with the price as high as it is, it makes more economic sense to get the dedicated lower receiver. The BCG is also very pricey probably due to the mass that it is built around.

Thanks for the tutorial of hits and misses. I'll probably wait a bit to see when the dust clears with new regulations...but then again, maybe the time to buy is now..

Reactions: GreenWolf70

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I almost forgot, neither of my AR9s would work with aftermarket triggers. I think this is probably caused by the BCG and has probably been addressed by newer BCG builds, but when I built mine, it was MILSPEC triggers only. If you find a good lower under $100, I would get it now before prices jump up. The rest you can order online and have shipped to your house without worrying about a FFL transfer.

As far as magazines, Botach was running their ETS 31 round translucent Glock Mags for $11 each. I have been using these for years now in both my AR9 and my Glocks and I like them. It is really nice to be able to just look down and see what you have left in the mag. For Colt mags, ASC and C-Products mags are about the only game and I would give a slight nod to ASC.

PSA has their Betsy Ross PX9 lower on sale for $90, but it is pre-order (4-6 weeks). Production will be limited to only 1,776 units, and it does look pretty nice. I have an older model and mine works with any MILSPEC upper, you may want to call and talk to them about that before you order.

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The deal is however, once I get an AR 9 that uses Glock magazines...then I'll need to buy a Glock also. This could get really expensive!! :cool:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
LOL, Really nice G22 and G23 LEO turn-ins have been running about $300 locally, when they are in stock. Or you can build a really nice Glock clone using a Polymer80 80% frame and build one. They are IMO easier to build than an AR.

Poly80V2 flip.jpg

P8017&19.jpg

Sig Clone2e.jpg

G23P801.jpg

And this is not even all of them. As you can see they are as addictive as the AR.

Reactions: Czechbikr

·
Premium Member
10,978 Posts
I just got a 9MM upper for my pistol lower. I can change calibers as desired. Mine uses 32 round Colt mags.

AR 9.jpg

·
Super Moderator
35,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just got a 9MM upper for my pistol lower. I can change calibers as desired. Mine uses 32 round Colt mags.

/QUOTE]

What kind of magwell adapter are you using and does it feed reliably?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts