Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just received a pair of NOS military surplus magazines that I picked up on eBay for $15/ea. As there was some debate about which would be more "substantial", here is a comparison of the Taurus OEM mags and the Checkmate 9346413.

Capacity: Taurus 17rd wins here on a count basis*; Checkmate 15 (right out of the box and no contortion of spring).

Followers and springs: Checkmate wins hands down for followers with a solid and larger design and all smooth and rounded edges compared to hollow plastic with rough injection molding for Taurus. The Checkmate springs are slightly thicker. The Taurus spring is a progressive design, however.
IMG_0165.JPG

Weight:

Taurus: 3.05 Oz
IMG_0161.JPG
Checkmate: 3.40 Oz
IMG_0163.JPG

Wall thickness of magazine is slightly thicker for Checkmate (sorry, can not report precisely, as the dial on my analog caliper is off.)

Fitt and finish: there is noticeably less slop with the Checkmate magazines inserted in a PT92 AFS as they have slightly larger dimensions. The finish---IMHO---is a toss up: both mar and scratch to bare metal too easy to call either a winner...both were disappointing.

------------------------------------------------------
TOTALLY ASIDE: one of the people whose opinion I respect most about firearms is my son-in-law, an Army Major. He carries an M9 and is on his 3rd middle-east tour. He was home on R&R when we first fired my PT92 recently. He expressed concern about what he felt were 2 major issues with the Taurus OEM mags: 1) the follower is of inadequate size and design and makes loading more difficult and the possibility of feeding errors higher, 2) the OEM mags should not be rated for 17 rounds as the spring over contorts which will significantly reduce the life of the springs and gouges the interior of the magazine. His explanation for this intentional overloading of the OEM magazine was simple marketing. He said "Civilian consumers are much more prone to buy a weapon with more capacity, even if it is at the sacrifice of reliability. That is why the military has the magazine specifications they do for the same internal space of magazines and civilian magazines do not restrict the number of rounds."

His opinion of my PT92 AFS, however, was that is was a better weapon than his M9. Mostly on ergonomics. Accuracy he said was equal.

·
Registered
24,810 Posts
Thanks for the report. Good info.

·
Administrator
18,116 Posts
Very good report! :cool: Best of Luck to your son on his third tour!

I've had some of those Checkmate Magazines and they were great!

I use Pearce Magazine Extensions to extend my capacity on my Competition Magazines, but I also use Mec-Gar High Capacity Magazines, too!

Reactions: seafra
1 - 3 of 3 Posts