Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the taurus 9mm revolvers require the moon clips or can it be used without them

·
Registered
31 Posts
does the taurus 9mm revolvers require the moon clips or can it be used without them
The 692 uses moon clips but supposedly you can shoot without them. Moonclips are awesome by the way. They work as quickloaders/magazines, why would not want them?

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 692 uses moon clips but supposedly you can shoot without them. Moonclips are awesome by the way. They work as quickloaders/magazines, why would not want them?
In a emergency situation i dont want to be tied to a moon clip that i forgot at home

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have a Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm but I have only used it with moonclips.

I never tried it without clips.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Almost all of the revolvers chambered for semi-auto rimless cartridges can fire them without moon clips. The cylinders are reamed to allow the rounds to headspace on the cartridge mouths. They won't drop too far into the cylinders even without the moon clips.

The problem is ejecting them. With no rim overlapping the edge of the extractor to allow it to "catch" hold of them pushing the ejector rod will leave the empties in the chamber even though the ejector cycles normally. That is the function of the moon clip - to serve as a sort of "joined rim" for all the cartridges so the ejector has something to push against to extract them from the cylinder.

In some cases with no moon clip you can point the muzzle straight up with the cylinder open and the empty cases will fall out. But there is no guarantee of that and if they don't fall out, the only alternative is to use a pencil or other small rod inserted through the front opening of the cylinder to push them out.

The only exception to all this that I am aware of are the Charter Arms semi-auto chambered revolvers. They incorporate a little spring-loaded "hook" inside each of the chambers that is part of the extractor. The springs push the hook into the ejector groove of the semi-auto rounds. They have one of these hooks built into the extractor for each chamber, and since they hook into the ejector groove they allow the ejector to push them out of the cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
13,761 Posts
^ ^ ^ What BC605 said. I read the same thing in a couple of 9mm revolver reviews.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In a emergency situation i dont want to be tied to a moon clip that i forgot at home
So, you'd carry loose rounds? Think of them as similar to magazines for autoloaders. You have one in the revolver and 1-2 in your bag. Reloading one round at a time is definitely not efficient if you are in firefight.

·
Registered
29,842 Posts
I've owned a number of revolvers chambered for semiauto cartridges; 3 in .45 ACP (Colt & S&W) and 1 in 9mm parabellum (Charter Arms).

The moon clips are a blessing and a curse. The blessing is quick reloads under fire or during competition. The curse loading & unloading the moonclips, and carrying the bulky boggers around without bending the clips and gouging parts of your anatomy is a chore.

My current 9mm revolver is a Charter Arms Pitbull which does NOT require mooonclips to load or eject the cartridges.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I use a universal moonclip loader and unloader that works well.

Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD

·
Premium Member
10,958 Posts
I've seen several video reviews of the 692. They all fired 9mm without moon clips just to see if it would work. It always did. I'm sure ammo has more to do with it than the engineering of the cylinder. If the ammo has a heavy crimp or extreme taper, it might not work.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I use a universal moonclip loader and unloader that works well.

Instagram
Muzzleblast_MD
loading the moonclip is easy on the taurus moonclips and on the ranch products ones. For unloading, i use a screwdriver. put it in the expended cartridge and twist it out. trivial.

·
Registered
335 Posts
loading the moonclip is easy on the taurus moonclips and on the ranch products ones. For unloading, i use a screwdriver. put it in the expended cartridge and twist it out. trivial.
I have 4 revolvers that use Moonclips:

Ruger GP 100 Match Champion 10 mm 6 shot

Taurus 905 5 round 9 mm

S&W Performance Center 586 L-Comp 7 Shot 357 Magnum

S&W Performance Center 627 2.5” 8 Shot 357 Magnum

The Taurus can almost be done by hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Muzzleblast_MD (Instagram)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I read somewhere that Charter Arms makes a 9mm revolver that doesn't need moon clips at all. Not for loading, shooting or ejecting.

·
Premium Member
16,956 Posts
Almost all of the revolvers chambered for semi-auto rimless cartridges can fire them without moon clips. The cylinders are reamed to allow the rounds to headspace on the cartridge mouths. They won't drop too far into the cylinders even without the moon clips.

The problem is ejecting them. With no rim overlapping the edge of the extractor to allow it to "catch" hold of them pushing the ejector rod will leave the empties in the chamber even though the ejector cycles normally. That is the function of the moon clip - to serve as a sort of "joined rim" for all the cartridges so the ejector has something to push against to extract them from the cylinder.

In some cases with no moon clip you can point the muzzle straight up with the cylinder open and the empty cases will fall out. But there is no guarantee of that and if they don't fall out, the only alternative is to use a pencil or other small rod inserted through the front opening of the cylinder to push them out.

The only exception to all this that I am aware of are the Charter Arms semi-auto chambered revolvers. They incorporate a little spring-loaded "hook" inside each of the chambers that is part of the extractor. The springs push the hook into the ejector groove of the semi-auto rounds. They have one of these hooks built into the extractor for each chamber, and since they hook into the ejector groove they allow the ejector to push them out of the cylinder.

Or Single action revolvers like the Ruger Black Hawk Convertible where the spent brass is ejected with the ejector rod just the same as the rimmed cartridges are.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts