Taurus Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a new copy of Handloader magazine (FEB 2013) and there is an article by Brian Pearce on reloading the 9mm. If you have not read one of his articles before, they are very good for reference material. He is very detailed, he carries all of his loads to the SAMMI max spec rather than the target load safe data many of the published data sources print (look at the NEW Hodgdon Reloading Manual on the news stands. In .45 Auto data they list all of their max loads in the 16,000 and 17,000 psi range, while max SAMMI spec is 21,000 psi. They are calling max at 80% of the true SAMMI max.) In this article he covers bullet weights from 90-147 grains, calls out at least 15 different powders, discusses what taper crimp to use and why it works, talks about different case brands/types, etc. Very detailed and very well thought out. Like I said very good reference material on reloading the 9mm. The only criticism I have is that the only copper bullet he covers in the article is the Barnes 115 grain. However, he does show a load for it at 1,319 fps and not +P but standard load.

I also found out in this magazine that Ramshot's Silhouette powder is not the same as, or even very similar to, but IS Winchester's now discontinued Win Action Pistol, aka WAP, out of the same plant that made WAP. I did not know that.

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
20,098 Posts
Thanks - just gave it a tour on line. A Very good article

·
Administrator
36,603 Posts
I bought this issue but haven't read the articles yet. Thanks for the heads up !

·
Premium Member
17,743 Posts
I saw that. A subscription to the online version isn't very expensive and includes Rifle. It's a really useful publication.

·
Administrator
19,758 Posts
Thanks for the heads up! Will have to see if I can find it locally.

Wonder if he's done any recent articles on the .45 Auto or .357 Magnum?

I had heard that Ramshot's Silhouette was the same powder as WAP, but it's been awhile since I tried WAP and no one carries either any longer around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.