Taurus Firearm Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 6 months ago I was thinking about taking up reloading in .45 acp. I have since sold some of my .45s and realize that I'm slowly drifting back to the 9mm. I'm looking at the Dillon Square Deal B or the RL 550 C. I plan on loading my target rounds to match my sd rounds if possible. Any suggestions on the powder, primers and bullets? I may reload some rifle rounds and for $50 more I can get the RL550C($480). I use to reload 30-06 rounds in Wyoming but that has been several years ago. I know...I asked.....:)
Thanks

·
Registered
24,852 Posts
I have been reloading for a while now and have found that I can no longer reload 9mm for the price today. I am better off buying 9mm at retail.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
Check the price of a caliber change, I believe the SD costs more and you have to use Dillon's proprietary dies. If you may do rifle, you want the 550 for sure.

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
I plan on loading my target rounds to match my sd rounds if possible. Any suggestions on the powder, primers and bullets? I may reload some rifle rounds and for $50 more I can get the RL550C($480).
Thanks
Hmm.....well I use Hornady XTP ammo for self defense, and that is much more pricey than buying FMJ or plated RN, so I sure don't do that....but hey, if you can afford it, then go for it ! 9mm hollowpoints are dang accurate and just as much fun as the cheaper stuff.

·
Super Moderator
17,735 Posts
I have been reloading for a while now and have found that I can no longer reload 9mm for the price today. I am better off buying 9mm at retail.
You can still save some moola if you go with lead bullets.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
I have a square deal. It works, but is a might delicate and complicated. Mine's broke right now, thinkin' about sending it back for a second time to be repaired and THIS time, i'll store it in the house away from the dirt daubers. Dirt daubers aren't nice to progressive reloaders and I can't keep 'em away except by just storing the thing in the house. I can find a spot for it in the mud room closet. :D

If you think you'll EVER wanna switch calibers, don't bother with the square deal. Mine was a dedicated 9mm loader when I was shooting a LOT practicing IDPA. It worked well, but I don't shoot that much anymore and it sits a lot, so I'll need to store it in a cleaner environment than my back porch loading room. But, I have dies for my Lee turret press.

·
Administrator
40,270 Posts
I can't say enough good about my Square Deal B. Been using it for fourteen years now. I broke a link arm a couple of years ago, called Dillon, and in two days, I had two new link arms, at no cost to me. Customer service can't get any better than that. Keep in mind, these machines are for pistol calibers only, which is all I reload for anyway.

·
Super Moderator
35,363 Posts
IMHO rifles are best loaded on a single stage press, though I do use my old Lyman turret press for that purpose. That press is built to last.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
IMHO rifles are best loaded on a single stage press, though I do use my old Lyman turret press for that purpose. That press is built to last.
I agree and also don't see why a turret would be any worse than a single stage as long as you're consistent with the amount of pressure you apply to the lever. The only thing I would/will load on the progressive rifle-wise is .223/5.56 because I don't care to have superb accuracy with it. 1.5 MOA keeps me happy and as long as it goes bang and not boom it's all good.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
really like my Square Deal B I broke the arm that holds the spent primer bucket and they sent me two and I had two new ones in just a few days at no charge and I told them that i broke it the Customer service is second to none.
I also do all my rifle loading on a single stage to squeeze all the accuracy I can from it
But for pistols I was tickled pink to get the Square Deal I started out kinda slow and load at a comfortable rate for me I know the machine will go faster but I like to keep a close eye on everything that s going on I do measure a lot when I am using Unique and RED DOT but not so much when using WST and CFP Pistol

·
Administrator
35,567 Posts
I have some powderpuff loads for WST that I've got on my spreadsheet, most of them 200 grain RN or flatpoint. Recoil is really nice, I almost don't think it's going to cycle the gun sometimes but it always has. I wouldn't use that powder for self defense loads, but if you're looking to introduce a recoil sensitive friend to 45acp, it's a good powder for that.

I would probably have never tried WST, but during one of the scares it was the only powder I could find anywhere in Dallas. I bought 4 pounds that day, and I still have 2 pounds left.

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I've been a Dillon fan since '83 or so. Would pay for a new Dillon before I tried a free anything else.

But why pay new? Go to ebay, craigslist, wherever. There are deals to be had.

Dillon has a 'no-b.s.' warranty, and they truly mean, 'no B.S.'. They will support their machines, whether you buy them new, used, from Dillon or from the street.

Once you go Blue, anything else is a step backward.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You don't say if you are loading your own SD rounds or using factory SD ammo. Either way a chronograph will help a lot to get the different cartridges to perform similarly.
I have Federal HST 147 gr in all of my 9mm pistols and would like to be able to reload the same if possible. My preferred target round is 124 gr American Eagle.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
The 550 will be slower, but it's a much better press for what you want to do.

The 550 is a "semi" progressive, meaning you have to manually rotate the shellplate. It's a lot beefier than the SD, so rifle rounds will not be a problem.

You can load a single round at a time on most progressive presses, that will give you single stage consistency and ease of operation.

Powders... I like HS6 or Titegroup for 9mm and 45acp.

Primers... I use CCI or Winchester.

Bullets... Buying bulk cast or plated bullets will save $$.

·
Registered
18,376 Posts
I have Federal HST 147 gr in all of my 9mm pistols and would like to be able to reload the same if possible. My preferred target round is 124 gr American Eagle.
My main carry ammo is factory Hornady Critical Duty. I load a lot of Hornady XTP bullets for "additional" SD ammo. My range ammo is 124gr. FMJ. All 3 of the bullet types are 124 grain. With a chronograph and a little testing it isn't that hard to get the XTPs and the range ammo close to the factory ammo since they use the same weight bullet.

I imagine you can get the 124gr. bullet slowed down to match the 147gr. ammo you carry. I'm not sure how much slower the 147 is. I would also think, even with the slower 124, there would be some difference in feel when shooting? Maybe switch your range bullet to 147 grains? I guess it all just depends on how similar you want your range ammo to perform like the SD ammo.

As for the press questions I can't help with that. My bench is covered with red equipment!

I hope my incomplete coffee ramblings make sense!

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
6 gr. of Bluedot under a 115 or 124 gr. RNL is a great plinking round. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
16,955 Posts
I recently bought 350 rounds of 9mm 115 grain ammo for $50.00, I don't think it's worth my time to reload 9mm anymore and yes I do have a Dillon 650.

·
Administrator
18,183 Posts
The 550 will be slower, but it's a much better press for what you want to do.

The 550 is a "semi" progressive, meaning you have to manually rotate the shellplate. It's a lot beefier than the SD, so rifle rounds will not be a problem.

You can load a single round at a time on most progressive presses, that will give you single stage consistency and ease of operation.
What Bellows1 said! ^^^^^^^^^^ Provided you really want to reload for Rifle.

That said, I mostly reload 9mm, .45 ACP, and .38 Special on a custom setup Dillon 650, which is a fully progressive press.
I used to reload Match 5.56/.223 Rifle Ammunition on it, but gave that up and now just buy bulk new or Mil-Surp 5.56.

When I load Rifle, I just use my old Lyman Turret Press, for 7x57mm, .30/06, and .223.

For Primers and Bullets, I typically buy bulk from a local distributor. I used to cast my own Bullets, but no longer have the time for it.

My favorite Bullet for 9mm is the Berry's 124 grain Flat Point, propelled by WST powder, and lit by Winchester, Federal, or Magtech Primers.
Note that I have pretty much standardized on the 124 grain Bullet weight for the bulk of my 9mm reloading, and I've tried most all 9mm Bullet weights.

·
Registered
36,780 Posts
You can still save some moola if you go with lead bullets.
ahh, I save a bit of muhla using plated projectiles.
380-9 MM-38 super run me right at 6.25-6.50 per box of 50.
the only real difference in a self defense round is the added cost of the projectile ( depends on what projectile that you want to use), I don't load powder puff loads for target so virtually no difference in powder price.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts